Thanks everyone

Nothing wrong with a good long break from "the grind". Get out, recharge and reconnect with a magnificent friend we call Nature!
I like these little parts from the Walden writings (Solitude):

Society is commonly too cheap. We meet at very short intervals, not having had time to acquire any new value for each other. We meet at meals three times a day, and give each other a new taste of that old musty cheese that we are. We have had to agree on a certain set of rules, called etiquette and politeness, to make this frequent meeting tolerable and that we need not come to open war. We meet at the post-office, and at the sociable, and about the fireside every night; we live thick and are in each other's way, and stumble over one another, and I think that we thus lose some respect for one another. Certainly less frequency would suffice for all important and hearty communications.

What is the pill which will keep us well, serene, contented? Not my or thy great-grandfather's, but our great-grandmother Nature's universal, vegetable, botanic medicines, by which she has kept herself young always, outlived so many old Parrs (11) in her day, and fed her health with their decaying fatness. For my panacea, instead of one of those quack vials of a mixture dipped from Acheron (12) and the Dead Sea,(13) which come out of those long shallow black-schooner looking wagons which we sometimes see made to carry bottles, let me have a draught of undiluted morning air. Morning air! If men will not drink of this at the fountainhead of the day, why, then, we must even bottle up some and sell it in the shops, for the benefit of those who have lost their subscription ticket to morning time in this world.

Yet I experienced sometimes that the most sweet and tender, the most innocent and encouraging society may be found in any natural object, even for the poor misanthrope and most melancholy man. There can be no very black melancholy to him who lives in the midst of Nature and has his senses still.

12 years ago, after my divorce, I woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and asked myself who was this person. I was 35 at the time. I never had the opportunity to really reflect on myself for any period of time. I really had no idea who I was, what I enjoyed, how my mind worked or what was important to me. I set on a venture that will likely require the rest of my days to even scratch the surface. It's actually been quite interesting and rather enjoyable. I can laugh at myself now instead of criticize and beat myself up over things.

Looking forward to ordering a few more of your excellent blades when you return.

Last edited:
Scott like everyone else has said, there is nothing like taking time for yourself with nature, doing whatever you most enjoy, be it hunting, fishing, or just lying in the sun. Please take as much time for yourself as you need and want, life is short, enjoy it! And know that your excellent tools are helping others to enjoy the outdoors as well...

The HR manager at my shop has a framed sign on his wall that says, "Rule #2." Last week, as I was walking past his office, I finally decided to ask him what the sign was all about. He said that his staff at his last assignment gave it to him because whenever someone would get pissed off, he'd pull them aside and go, "Rule #2!" Rule #1 is: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2 is: It's all small stuff. :D

Wow, sorry to hear this but, of course, doing what you need to do to take care of yourself is far far more important than fulfilling anyone else's expectations. I do hope that when the time is right you are able to make more knives and, don't think for a second that there is a lack of interest in what you produce.

I just went through thirty some-odd pages of the "chopper" thread and have built a strong desire to pick up a large camp knife / chopper for work around the house, at the range and the woods. I am not particularly a fan of too much decoration, especially for a knife I hope to use the heck out of. Anyway, I wrote down a short list of the makers who's knives really tickled my fancy and started doing some research. Of the four on my list, your knives came in as the best bang-for-the-buck with the design that seems both utilitarian and pleasing to the eye.

So, just know that what you are able to create goes far beyond your shop and take pride in that something you can make will gives someone else so many years of use and enjoyment in owning. That's a great gift.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I was hesitant to post a thread like this because most of the time I just suck it up and move forward. Things have just come to a head and it's been rough. I'm a survivor and will work through this. I'm glad I did post this thread after all. You guys have really been a big help and I do appreciate it very much.
Scott

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I was hesitant to post a thread like this because most of the time I just suck it up and move forward. Things have just come to a head and it's been rough. I'm a survivor and will work through this. I'm glad I did post this thread after all. You guys have really been a big help and I do appreciate it very much.
Scott

Your not alone Scott. The last couple years I have had a few anger issues myself. Spending time in the woods works wonders. We have hunting season right around the corner.

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement. Just want to clarify that this isn't about the lack of work in the shop or income. I've got plenty to work on and have had a great year so far. This falls into a personal conflict which is very complicated. I guess I'm just burned out plus I get really aggravated easily about alot of things anymore. I guess that's why they call me "old man" at work. Pissed off easily is a good way to describe it.
Thanks again, it's good to know I've got friends out there.
Scott

There's this one guy who has a pretty big following on youtube, the other week he posted up a video titled- HOW TO CONVEX A BK2. I click on the video and all he does is pass the knife through the WorkSharp a couple of times with the help of the guides and it automatically puts on a convex. That's an "expert" "teaching" "how to convex". His viewers thanked him for teaching them how to convex.

He also batons 2x4's in his backyard and peddles that as expertly reviewed.

As long as he reviews new gear, his channel will keep growing.

Scott I understand what you are talking about with the know it alls who know nothing. I had a boss one time that called folks like that sexual intellectuals (f**cking know it alls). Big reason I am not a big poster. I have things to say sometimes but do not want to have to spend 10+ posts defending or proving my knowledge. Posted a few time in the hunting fourm and guys there thought I was a idiot. I might not be the grand master of all outdoor knowledge but if I got any outdoor experience at all it is focused around hunting. I consider myself a pretty good hunter but to some of the all knowing I am a rookie . Hope things get better for you though. As someone who has shared some woods time with you I know you are not one of the Bull Sh*ters. Get out have a good time in the woods regenerate and maybee work in a knife or two for a friend.:D

Scott,

I hate to hear your in such a ruff patch right now
But things will get better at some point ! And if
You need to scale back and clear your mind to
Get back where you want/need to be then so be it
You have to do whats right for you ! Im glad you got a plan to start bow hunting again ! So grab
That recurve camo up splash on some doe pee
And let the stalk begine !

Frank

I want to once again thank everyone for their continued support. Things seem to be getting slowly back to normal but still much to work through and I have been feeling much better, mentally. I guess depression will always be a problem for me as it has been my whole life.
As far as the comment I made about lack of interest in my knives, I guess that was just part of the depression I was going through because to date there have been over 245,000 views on my website so far this year. :eek: That tells me there is still alot of interest. :)
Scott

That's good to hear Scott. Depression is a real bitch...it comes on at the weirdest times for no apparent reason I feel. Either way, very glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better.

You still working out and lifting weights?

It's crazy how much a workout can change your perspective . Everything and everyone can seem like the pits, and then you throw the weights around for an hour, and all of a sudden things arent half as bad as you thought.

Totally agreed. I was just curious since I rely on it a lot to keep me going mentally. Seems I'm way more productive on the days I go to the gym too. Sets the tone for me actually getting things done.

Totally agreed. I was just curious since I rely on it a lot to keep me going mentally. Seems I'm way more productive on the days I go to the gym too. Sets the tone for me actually getting things done.

Collin, just getting out of the house and going for a walk every day is something great to look forward to. I am on a 15lb weight lift limit by the doctor, for the next 3 months, because of my back. I've got little weights that I've been working with just to keep from getting stiff and sore. Just getting my new truck and driving it around town today has been great for the psyche though. This pain has been horrible lately, I hope to make it to an old age, and this weight just has to go. Hopefully going through this winter with this weight and the lingering pain from my accident will be an impetus to keep at it and lose the excess by next winter.

Scott, I am glad things are coming together. I need to get with you, I have some cold refreshments for you.

Sorry to hear that you've hit a rough patch. Getting out to the woods is a good idea.
Paraphrasing Nessmuk, We do not go to the woods to rough it, we go to smooth it out.

I have an early PSK, when I step off to the woods it is always with me. A little blade for big jobs.
Thank you Scott.

Collin, just getting out of the house and going for a walk every day is something great to look forward to. I am on a 15lb weight lift limit by the doctor, for the next 3 months, because of my back. I've got little weights that I've been working with just to keep from getting stiff and sore. Just getting my new truck and driving it around town today has been great for the psyche though. This pain has been horrible lately, I hope to make it to an old age, and this weight just has to go. Hopefully going through this winter with this weight and the lingering pain from my accident will be an impetus to keep at it and lose the excess by next winter.

Scott, I am glad things are coming together. I need to get with you, I have some cold refreshments for you.

Hey Dan,

Totally agreed on the getting out and walking...I used to be real into lifting weights (but a recently discovered slipped vertebrae has changed some things). Lately though, I look forwrad to my Sunday walk with the dogs more than anything. If I just had a place like Pitdog to go hiking, I'd be very content. Jersey isn't so pretty...

You have the right idea though about just staying active...that's the key part. And I definitely think with thta attitude you can drop the weight you want, especially if are giving yourself a realistic timeline like next winter.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new truck too. I still shoudl do something about mine, but I haven't found the energy to really look into it.

Collin

Thank you Swoop.
When I was younger I was really into bodybuilding and weightlifting. As I got older and the kids came along plus work, I got away from it. I still have all my weights and equipment from way back when. It does help being able to get in a few workouts during the week. Time is still tight but I do it when I can.
Glad to hear you getting around Dan.
Scott

Hey Scott, I lost my job when the brown stuff hit the fan back in '09. You can bet I was in a major depression then. I'd been working 20 plus years and had never been out of work before, and what was worse is that I really enjoyed the damn job, and I'd only had it for 9 months. Plus, NOBODY was hiring at the time, especially not over-40 males. In any event, getting into the gym was a real boon to me in those rough early days when I had a lot of time on my hands to think about what a loser I was to be out of work when everyone else still seemed to have a job. I am still going two - three times a week, mostly because I dont want to lose those hard won gains (although my belly remains stubbonly jelly like). What I always tell everyone who will listen (I tend to preach to people, one of my faults) is that working out regularly has absolutely no downsides (if you do it properly). Not one! Not much in life you can say that about..

Thank you Swoop.
When I was younger I was really into bodybuilding and weightlifting. As I got older and the kids came along plus work, I got away from it. I still have all my weights and equipment from way back when. It does help being able to get in a few workouts during the week. Time is still tight but I do it when I can.
Glad to hear you getting around Dan.
Scott

Back