The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

Wow is right! Dennis, your collection of Alan's knives is truly impressive - thanks for sharing :)

I purchased one of Alan's knives as a gift for a family member back in Feb. It was a beautiful mammoth bark and damascus gentleman's folder. When I saw it, I knew I was going have to get an Alan Davis folder for myself! Below are some pictures of the liner lock I just bought from Alan. It has a approx. 3.5 inch San Mai Damascus blade with Timascus bolsters and pocket clip. The wood is exhibition grade Koa. I'm not a photographer but it's hard to hide the beauty of this knife, even with my not so great photos. There is oil on the blade in the photos that takes away some of the contrast in the San Mai Damascus.
e5jj1e.jpg

2afz795.jpg

wgyser.jpg

29elruf.jpg

Last edited:
Super!!! I've got a few that Alan has done in Koa. Beautiful wood. Thanks for posting this one. Was wondering who got it, since Alan didn't even have a chance to list it!! ;)

Last edited:
wow, I'd like to have every single one of the knives shown here. really beautiful work from a talented craftsman. I wish instead of the constant reimagination of tough overbuilt knives some company would work in conjuction to put out some production versions of Alan's outstanding work. Really impressive, classy knives that look like they can work as good as they look.

oh, the mesquite, the blue dyed curly maple, and the san mai/Damascus with timascus bolsters speak to me the loudest. I have to stop myself each time one of Alan's knives come up for sale. I'm waiting for the perfect one to come around and any of those three would've been one to make me pull the trigger.

(Update 3/15/2017: This one has a new home)

Here is one of my favorites to start the week off. Out of all my Davis knives, I have to say that this one feels the absolute best in my hand and the random pattern Alabama Damascus blade is mesmerizing to look at! The scales are curly Koa and the blade length is 3.25 inches, making it my perfect size in an EDC knife. Picked this one up from Alan in August of 2013.

PuBVqKJ.jpg

Last edited:
Added my 26th Alan Davis knife to the collection today with this beauty. This one features Australian Ringed Gidgee scales, M3 composite bolsters and a parkerized 3.4375" Rob Calcinore Turkish Checkerboard Damascus blade with an O-1 cutting edge. Obviously, I love the blade ... but also really like the bolster/scale combination. This Gidgee is much darker than most of the Ringed Gidgee I've seen ... and that is what make this one a nice addition to the collection. As with all of Alan's knives, workmanship is top notch.

weVDMR1.jpg

E9ZhORB.jpg

PNN0jxP.jpg

mEDQGj1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another one in Koa from Alan. This one is a great size for a small EDC knife, sporting a 3.125" Elmax blade. The Curly Koa goes really well with the blue twill bolsters. Picked this one up from Alan in September of 2013.

D4aPCPS.jpg

u9cGj1x.jpg

Last edited:
(Update, 3 Dec 2016 ... this one has been gifted.)

Here's another in Koa to start the weekend off! Alan has made a number of knives in this particular design. Once you place it in your hand, you will understand why. If fits my hand like it was made to be there! The Wharncliffe blade is 2.625" of Alabama Damascus and opens effortlessly. Got this one from Alan in April of 2013. Initially, thought about returning it to have a clip installed, as I find it a hair too heavy (at 4.8 oz) and bulky to be sitting at the bottom of my pocket. But, in the end, decided a clip would alter its feel. So, got a belt sheath for it.

de0Yaxh.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis,

I've been eyeballing Alan's Wharncliffe for a while now, I sure hope another pops up as I'd love to get one! I think I contemplated buying this one, or one very much like it, but hesitated :(

Did you have the belt sheath custom made for this one? Would you mind posting a pic or two?

Cheers,
Shane

I guess while I'm here, I'll post up a few pics. This is the first knife I got from Alan, I love the Amboyna burl scales and red liners. Unfortunately, I left this one out on the dresser next to an open window in Hawaii and the salt spray on the breeze speckled the blade with rust - in one day! I haven't gotten around to completely buffing out the stains, but then again it makes it easier to consider this one a user - I do carry it from time to time.

90t3bQA.jpg

g7pOiI6.jpg

K8dEwVa.jpg

Last edited:
[Update ... this one was gifted to a friend] Speaking of Wharnies .... here is one I got from Alan in early February of 2013. It's a small, thin gent's folder with 2.75" blade of Alabama Damascus, Mammoth scales and Mokume bolsters. Really like this one and carry it every single day in a small belt sheath.

iyO9oak.jpg

Last edited:
(Note: This knife has a new home!)

Here is another of Alan's slim folders, which I picked up in January of 2014. Scales are Thunderstorm Kevlar. Blade is 3 inches and made from Chad Nichols' Hailstorm pattern.

B6PnrnA.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures and amazing collection of knives. My ironwood liner lock from Alan should be here in a few weeks. Excited to have one of his knives. A misery whip fixed blade is also in the works :)

Back