The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

I have noticed some of these knives have his name engraved in them. Im a beginner knife maker and was wondering what tool is needed to enshrine a name to the inside of the blade?

Update: This one has a new home!

Features nicely jigged, amber dyed bone scales and the requisite 2.5 inch blade from Alabama Damascus. It is one of Alan's earlier knives. Not sure exactly when he made it, but believe it was about 4 years ago.

GxGyqmp.jpg

N3fgeIp.jpg

2yx4C1y.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I knew it would not take long to acquire another Davis (or two ;)). I hesitated for a few days on this one (which arrived on Saturday) mainly because I was not sure I needed another smaller sub-3 inch blade. Then it hit me .... When has it ever been about "need"?! I love Alan's knives and wanted this one because of the scales. Love wood and this is one which is missing from the collection. Scales are beautifully figured Afzelia Xylay. Blade is random Alabama Damascus and measures 2.625". For now, this one has replaced my Mammoth Wharncliffe gent's folder that I normally carry in a small belt sheath.

pWttiU7.jpg

ss7ta2k.jpg

ApJrccM.jpg

fuBlC61.jpg

Last edited:
Got some time to kill on a US federal holiday? Great time to look at some new Alan Davis knife pics!!! Didn't think I would be buying another sub-3 inch blade (especially so soon) ... but fell in love with this one. The blade is 2.625" of Del Ealy's lion pattern Damascus. Bolsters are M3 composite and scales are jigged Mammoth ivory. Back strap is niter blued Damascus with some really nice file work in the center. Doesn't get any better than this ... but I say that about all of Alan's knives! Which brings me to one one of the reasons I collect so many of his creations. Unlike many custom makers out there who stick to a handful of basic patterns (dressing them each a little differently) .... the vast majority of Alan's knives are pretty much one of a kind creations. And ... Alan has to be personally satisfied with something he makes. This knife is a perfect example. Alan had it finished for a few weeks before he listed it for sale. Originally, it had been done with just the plain Mammoth bark scales. However, after completing it, Alan felt the scales lacked character when compared with the other materials in the knife. He decided to try jigging the Mammoth. Boy did he hit the nail on the head with this one. Plenty of character now!! Decided I would post a bunch of pics of this one. Really like her!!

xzJmQwI.jpg

ZmRJwnu.jpg

u7K8XLZ.jpg

BVRk7rR.jpg

QHF8fOL.jpg

DkBREq5.jpg

xAcvctT.jpg

1uUipzQ.jpg

e8QJyOK.jpg

Last edited:
Need to move this to the top with my latest Davis folder. Yup, another small gent's folder it is. I was attracted to this one because the Mammoth bark scales were similar in color to a few other Mammoth folders of Alan's in my collection. Anyway, the Mammoth has some really nice character to it. The blade is some of Del Ealy's Lion pattern Damascus and is 2.625" in length. The liners are fileworked on the back (in a pattern I didn't yet have in the collection) and nuggetized on the front. A full Damascus backstrap completes the package. Originally, Alan had a jeweled thumbstud, but I decided I would go with a Ti stud to match the liners. It works well. Now ... the pics!

rkcAwWR.jpg

RTfTtAa.jpg

uqp7Wc0.jpg

nfsFKDR.jpg

Last edited:
(Update 3/11/2019: This beauty has a new home)

Okay guys and gals ... this is my latest Davis. However, I have a confession to make. I wasn't really sure I would be thrilled with this one. Was lucky enough to spot it shortly after it was posted and was going to pass, as I initially thought the coloring of the M3 bolsters was a little over the top to be mated with the beautiful Koa (I was thinking a nice bronze texturetech would be perfect). Then I kept looking at the anodizing of the fileworked liners and the sculpted clip (not to mention the blade material) and decided to snag it before someone else did. Besides, while Alan has done a few other knives with this s-shaped bolster style ... I've not seen one, nor did I have one in the collection. Glad I did not second guess my decision. This thing is outrageously beautiful! Like I said, the scales are a nicely figured curly Koa, blade is 3.3125" of iguana pattern Damascus by Chad Nichols, fantastically anodized liners and clip and a carbon fiber back spacer. This bugger was a bear to photo (and I am still adjusting to a new lens and lighting set-up, which added to the difficulty for me) ... but here are some pics for you to enjoy.

Rh3Frkr.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my latest Alan Davis .... a sweet linerlock featuring a 3" CTS-XHP blade, Texas Mesquite burl scales and M3 bolsters. The combination of materials used creates a really stunning little folder. And, as I told Alan, like Mesquite, as I have a personal relationship with it ... having been pricked by more Mesquite thorns than I care to remember!!!

ADMesqM3_10.jpg

ADMesqM3_11.jpg

ADMesqM3_12.jpg

ADMesqM3_13.jpg

this one I like the most.They are all nice, but on some of them the edges are too thick.This one shows a edge which fits for a fine tool like a folder no fat bevel, nice and even.Beautiful folders!

Last edited:
(Update 12/30/2017: This one has a new home)

Time to post a new Davis knife. This one has some real fire in the beautiful ironwood scales. The thunderstorm kevlar bolsters add some very nice contrast to the ironwood. The blade is 3.375" of Del Ealy's Damascus in his Serpent pattern. Alan has been tinkering with his filework patterns on his liners and this one is really nice. He is also making good use of his new metal lathe and turned a nice bronze thumb stud with ironwood inlay for this beauty.

dtirX3Y.jpg

Last edited:
Christmas came early for me when I stumbled across another Alan Davis knife .... and what a knife this one is!!! It's a gent's folder featuring beautiful Mammoth bark scales and M3 composite bolsters. What really sets this knife apart from many is the stunning Rob Calcinore blade in a pattern he calls Snowflake Turk. It comes in at 2.75 inches and is a 3 bar composite, comprised of 01, 1095, 1080, plain-carbon steel and nickel. Alan took the Damascus to another level by nitre-blueing it. Unfortunately, the beauty of this blade (and entire knife) is way beyond my photographic skills and lighting equipment!!! I have not even come close to capturing the the blade's outstanding beauty.

nOy7gAO.jpg

7yV0O1L.jpg

MjxYNSI.jpg

K8L1Usn.jpg

wUy2Wlo.jpg

suIYELp.jpg

Last edited:
I know this sounds crazy considering how much I love Alan's work, but this is my first time to the thread....

Dennis, amazing job at giving Alan and his wonderful work a home on this forum.

I will be here regularly now, and if you stop stealing all his knives, I would love to contribute! (JK!)

Again, thanks for putting this together.

Here's a quite unique frame lock I picked up from Alan back in January 2014. To say it took Alan many, many hours to heat anodize the carved Ti scales would be an understatement!! Really like how it came out. Blade is 3.25" of 1095 & 15n20 Damascus.

ADCarvTiFL18.jpg

ADCarvTiFL19.jpg

ADCarvTiFL14.jpg

ADCarvTiFL15.jpg

One last thing. I know this is bad etiquette, but if you ever feel the need to not have this one anymore, please click my name!
(I know, ZERO chance!)

I know this sounds crazy considering how much I love Alan's work, but this is my first time to the thread....

Dennis, amazing job at giving Alan and his wonderful work a home on this forum.

I will be here regularly now, and if you stop stealing all his knives, I would love to contribute! (JK!)

Again, thanks for putting this together.

Agreed!

Back