The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

Here is my latest Davis that I told myself I wasn't going to buy! Too big, too heavy and I already have a Davis dressed up in Sambar stag. However, I really liked the bolsters, which are made from some eye-catching HHH Damascus. Also liked the Sambar stag ... and the scales on the other Davis I have are amber-dyed. But the size of the Alabama Damascus blade was bigger than I like, measuring in at 3.375". And ... with that stag and all of the Damascus, the knife weighs in at 4.3 ounces. Again, too big ... especially sitting in the bottom of my pocket. Not to mention that I really would not want Alan to put a clip on this one to cover up any of that stag. Then Alan went and did it. After carrying this one around in his pocket for a day, even he felt it was too heavy. So he offered a belt sheath with this one. That solved all my problems!!! The rest is history. All of the materials on this one go together perfectly. As always, Alan did an absolutely super job.

vn5OwW4.jpg

BPo5J9T.jpg

X6SzuRl.jpg

J0II9fb.jpg

6kx8ya9.jpg

OhHqvNc.jpg

Last edited:
Great news. Alan was featured (again) in Blade Magazine. Page 67 of the July issue, in the "What's New" section highlight's Alan's Mammoth folder with engraved bronze bolsters (a knife which is near and dear to me, since it's in my collection!). Congrats Alan.

ok5hU1v.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is an older piece I purchased last month. I believe it was made in 2014 Rams Horn Flipper

Three winners for sure Ken!!! Just waiting for the day that Pecan needs a new home!!! ;)

Another beauty arrived today. Glad I had finished my nap when this one was listed ... because it's a keeper for sure. This gent's spear point features some really colorful blue Mammoth bark scales, Del Ealy Cheetah pattern Damascus bolsters, and a 3" Del Ealy Lion pattern Damascus blade. Alan also did some fancy double anodizing on the back spacer to simulate double liners.

HHAq9Oo.jpg

fCSx1gU.jpg

eAXQeXe.jpg

3ExxHMV.jpg

z9AzbrP.jpg

oJUK0He.jpg

Last edited:
I just received my second knife from Alan...it is drop dead gorgeous...it has a blue/green piece of mammoth, an S shaped antiqued hammered brass bolster with a 3" HHH feather damascus blade...the backspace is a rope pattern with green in the recesses that matches up well with the mammoth..

I have a fixed blade ordered for December (Xmas present to me from wife) that will use the same materials and, hopefully, be a match to this knife...

C84D5EFE474E43BD823D85EF4B590BC5_zpsryqk8jdj.jpg

Regards/bg

Last edited:
Back to the top...this came in today...

430DAEF8E2DE470A9E92D286B8EE0AA9.jpg 12AD7271F56D44328BD99621EA5931E8.jpg 1C7243E917354913A3BA6E081ABC3391.jpg

overall length - 6 7/8”
blade - 3” tip to scales
steel – HHH predator carbon damascus
grind - full flat
scales - mammoth bark
bolsters – hand carved bronze
liners – anodized & textured titanium
back spacer – hand carved bronze
thumb stud - hand turned & textured bronze inset with mammoth
leather lanyard w/ sterling silver bead 24k gold plated

pivot screw- anodized titanium

screws - 24k gold plated

Cheers/bg

Well, first it was Dropbox (after years of a happy relationship) ... now, it's Photobucket. I realize there is rarely a "free lunch", but sheesh! Gimme some time as I go back (yet again) through the process of recreating new links for my hosted AD images!

Well, finished updating all of my image links in this thread (though I haven't quite finished cursing PhotoBucket!). Not only did I fix the images ... but finished just in time to receive and post a new Davis! This one was a total surprise, as it was a gift from a dear friend. Had no idea it was coming. It is Alan's latest fixed blade, a small hunter with desert ironwood scales (with an oval shield) and a 3.3125" 1084 blade with an antiqued finish.

EwHu5If.jpg

0CJ3KIO.jpg

e7D4vtJ.jpg

0Vh5BVB.jpg

kqHcIWP.jpg

zIW2XiZ.jpg

Oh ... the really neat thing about this knife is that Alan put it up for sale on June 28th, 2017 ... 7 years to the day after Alan became a BladeForum member (on June 28th, 2010). So, this is like an anniversary knife!!!

Last edited:
Didn't take me long to decide I wanted this Davis. I lucked into it less than 60 seconds after Alan listed it for sale. All I can say is that it is one beautiful folder. A number of things attracted me to this one. First and foremost, the handle material. It is some really nicely colored Mammoth bark .. a rich, dark caramel color with greenish/black striations. Then, there were the bolsters. Alan made them from some of Del Ealy's Damascus, but he gave them a hammered texture. The blade is also stunning. It is 3 inches and made from some of Bill Burke's Damascus. Alan topped things off with a Damascus back spacer and carved Damascus thumb stud.

plCvVxU.jpg

Xilv7Aa.jpg

OVRy1cb.jpg

ErmJiFv.jpg

9JLsg02.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy ... I broke a milestone today. I surpassed 60 Davis knives with the arrival of my current number 61. Okay, I have had more than 61 of Alan's knives, but somehow ... I never surpassed 60 at any one time. Someone would ask me to let a particular one go or I would gift one or more to friends and family. So, the number in my collection would always go up and down, but never surpass 60 ... until today. Alan has made a few knives with bog oak scales, but I kept holding out for one that had everything I was looking for. This one was it. In addition to the bog oak (which is beautiful in person, but hard to photograph), it has a 3" Doug Ponzio Damascus blade in his version of feather Damascus. The bolsters are brass infused carbon fiber and the back spacer is carved and double anodized titanium. All in all ... a really great combo of materials.

avf1XA0.jpg

XvNxEt5.jpg

z4hsMHD.jpg

Gjt3AMH.jpg

G9YffW6.jpg

EHGfjMT.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, it's been 3 months since I've been able to add another Davis to the collection. But, the dry spell is over and I have a new one to fondle! This little gent's folder features a 2.5" acid and stone washed CTS-XHP blade with a front opening tab and some nice blue mammoth bark ivory scales that are accentuated by Timascus bolsters. The blue, geometrically file worked back spacer and purple liners tie everything together. This little beauty will be seeing lots of pocket time!

R1Nx5Dn.jpg

rfw6ctj.jpg

Qr0x5Hj.jpg

9dTlAqd.jpg

XQCUQhJ.jpg

Back