The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

Spent the weekend at the beach here in west central Florida after the "hurricane" came nearby.
It didn't do much damage where I was at.

There were more shells washed up on the beach than normal and quite a few dead starfish.

PXioH4z.jpg

I haven't seen King Conch in quite a few years, but saw about a dozen or so washed up on the beach.
This guy is about 15 inches long.
I used to love pan fried conch, but haven't had any in about 20 years now.

eOWUBZq.jpg

A heron thought the fishing was still quite fine.

H6db1SZ.jpg

This was about the worst of the damage I saw.

d317eFo.jpg

This was yesterday morning on the beach. Pretty much normal for early morning and low tide.

DsbvH9G.jpg

Nice pictures Stumps. What are the blue colored shells in the top picture? Thanks

I've seen them all my life here on the west coast of Florida, but never knew much about them.
Here is what I found out this morning.

They are called Pen Shells. What you see in the picture in my previous post is just the broken tip of a couple Pen Shells.
They are probably 8 to 10 inches long when the thin shell is not broken.

Below is a picture that shows what you are looking at...the broken tip of the shell.

aPO9hqn.jpg

Here is a small article about them;
http://professorfishheads.blogspot.com/2011/01/magnificent-pen-shell-and-other.html

There were hundreds of them along the shore after the hurricane passed by last weekend.

Smoking pork shoulder today. What a great way to get an early start to the day (off work).

No Bucks in this picture but it is one of the places I use my Bucks. Its one of the areas we hike, hunt and just play around. Sanganois conservation area in west central Illinois. A few pictures of my FJ I bought this summer. I gave my old Jeep Cherokee to my oldest daughter.

Well, It was going along pretty good but seems to be coasting along to a stop in last two weeks. Being the fall season I am supposing folks are outside enjoying the cooler weather and beginning of hunting season. Except for those with flooding problems in several spots across the land. I was impressed with Cedar Rapids, Iowa and their portable levy they erected to control some of their downtown flooding. Think it says 'Be Prepared" on the BSA Second class badge but if you have ever filled sandbags by hand that front end loader filling the wall looked First Class. I bet we will see some hunting photos soon. If no one else posts good photos of activities you will have to see me sight in my muzzle loader this afternoon. But, only if I hit the target. Or I could cut up some cardboard boxes.

Let me end by mentioning once again that if someone feels a great desire to show a non-Buck knife in a photo, whether found on a mountain top, won as a prize, given to you by your grandpa or because you just can't hold the urge in, showing it here rather in a Buck model specific thread is a better idea. AND will make my job easier. Along with everyone I enjoy a good knife story but, truthfully the posting of non-Bucks should actually go to the General or that Company specific forums.

Last edited:
300Bucks, thank you, for all that you do on this forum and for the BCCI. Your effort and time is much appreicated. Preston

Here is a picture of my son and I, from 1989 in Kodiak Alaska. The vessel is the Miss Kerri named after the captain/owners daughter. It was my home and job for a year.

Rigged for salmon.

A few projects that keep me busy,
20160928_012808_zpsg59olu04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160928_012819_zpsd8kti0co.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160929_020929_zps4cmzosns.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20161001_204102_zpsepcnmq8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160919_181835_zpsmfwh97pp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160917_200028_zps3g8eckvu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160830_221600_zpsui87s2no.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160724_155934_zpsn29gldyx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160710_165655_zpskqjgwmg9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20161017_090216_zpsjstih7yl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I've checked out this forum when I had a chance, but have been gone for a little over a month getting in some backpacking in Maine, NY and CT...and catching up with friends in NE while I was there.

Here are a couple quick miscellaneous pictures of what I saw backpacking in Maine on the Appalachian Trail.

I was standing on the AT looking at distant mountains in this first picture.

4n5sGnX.jpg

I cowboy camped on top of Old Blue Mountain under a full moon and woke up to see the low lands filled with fog.

J8llBzm.jpg

Good to be back home, but I'm already missing walking in the mountains everyday. :)

Mount Rainier as seen from my backyard this afternoon. Thought I'd share her beauty.
a9d6824f1735417d9cbb0c4ae68233ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is still Buck related, but no knives. This is the chandelier in the lobby at Buck Knives in Post Falls. I snapped a picture of it on my trip there this past spring. Came across it today and thought I'd share.
194de68c6b1e4815680e5fe0600b5488.jpg

Beautiful pictures of the Alaskan boat, scenery from around the country and knives/sheaths!

Thank you for sharing.

Cate

This is still Buck related, but no knives. This is the chandelier in the lobby at Buck Knives in Post Falls. I snapped a picture of it on my trip there this past spring. Came across it today and thought I'd share.
194de68c6b1e4815680e5fe0600b5488.jpg

Nice picture and thank you!

We have got to get up there! It is not that far from where we live.

My husband is finally retired. Woo hoo! Hunting season is on and he does like to hunt.

We are still thinking about moving - pros and cons there.

We are ready for winter and my husband got new tires for his truck too.

We have been busy with the 'news' (!) and with Second Amendment issues here too.

Cate

Nice picture and thank you!

We have got to get up there! It is not that far from where we live.

My husband is finally retired. Woo hoo! Hunting season is on and he does like to hunt.

We are still thinking about moving - pros and cons there.

We are ready for winter and my husband got new tires for his truck too.

We have been busy with the 'news' (!) and with Second Amendment issues here too.

Cate
Cate, you must make the trip, I'm sure you and your husband would love it!

^^^

I will have to wait until rifle hunting season ends. Around Thanksgiving time if my memory serves me right. Grin. I get the dates mixed up for 'rifle' season for elk and deer. (I don't hunt but I encourage him and check all of his STUFF. He puts up with me even though he has his own checklist and has been hunting since he was a kid.)

I showed him your picture before he went for his almost daily 2 to 3 mile walk this morning.

Thanks again!

Cate

Back