The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

Just got home from a short three day, 52 mile backpacking trip I took the first of the week down in southern Florida along the Florida Trail.

Ran into quite a few animals and even got pictures of a few.
Below are a couple of the wild hogs I ran into just north of Starvation Slough. The one has some domestic hog in him from along the line.

This was one of the buck deer I ran into on the north side of Kicco WMA. I think hunting is only weekends right now. I only saw a couple bow hunters out.

The weather was mild....40s at night and 70s during the day.

Stumps, Wild Hogs are a man caused environmental disaster thru-out the southern U.S. Work is on-going on how to control them. Traps and shooting cannot overcome their breeding rate. Several government supported research projects are investigating hog specific poison. If cornered, large hogs will attack man. FYI They can easily reach 300 lbs as adults. 300Bucks, Closet Environmentalist.

My wife discussed the tenor of these comments and I now understand what you're meaning. DM

Stumps, Wild Hogs are a man caused environmental disaster thru-out the southern U.S. Work is on-going on how to control them. Traps and shooting cannot overcome their breeding rate. Several government supported research projects are investigating hog specific poison. If cornered, large hogs will attack man. FYI They can easily reach 300 lbs as adults. 300Bucks, Closet Environmentalist.

I certainly hope poison isn't used. There is a lot of good eatin' out there.
I believe I remember my son saying hogs are open year round out there in OK. I do remember him saying he doesn't hunt them during deer season.

Some hogs can grow quite large. Below is a picture I took of a picture I saw hanging in a restaurant in south Florida where I stopped when I was backpacking. The owner said it was a wild hog taken locally.

Stumps, the boar hog in your photo is a big hog. I would put him in the 700 lb. range and that is conservative. Thanks for the photo. DM

That is the biggest hog I've ever seen! I'd be more fearful of that than a bear haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thought I'd share my little slice of heaven here in the Pacific Northwest. This is from summer time, around 4,900 feet, Lost Lake in the Cascade Mountains backpacking with my boys.
de62674987055e74758c567d15fd8986.jpg

d1ee6a1af6b9c245d74ba78580b8debd.jpg

e05b2a6b78572af35738ac444eb42e84.jpg

bd1b1b2445478c25f55736f43732f3c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would have to have springs, and heavy duty ones, on those hiking sticks for me to make the thin O2.

Here is a post I did over in the Traditional forum where they were talking about slips and pocket sheaths. We have talked about the same thing here a time or two and a search will bring up some photos. This is a different spin and since I was using a 55 as a model thought I would bring the post over here. 300

All the slips and sheaths in this thread look nice, but old timers will remember we have been over this same subject several times in past. I would suggest a search in this forum would turn up several more photos of different ideas, including a couple of mine. BUT, this is a idea that anyone can do to keep the knife and other pocket items apart and prevent pocket 'bulge'. I seldom wear jeans with a watch pocket anymore so something else came to mind. I am partial in my gray beard era of life to carpenter pants, especially during winter some made by the "firehose' people. I carry my cell phone in one side pliers pocket and any other hand tool I am using in the other leg. This modification was made using "man" items. My sewing machine person kept saying she would sew what I wanted when she was sewing something else, but something else was slow to come around. This photo shows the position of the knife 'inside ' the pocket.

I wanted a slot sewn in my pocket to slide a knife into and I wanted it over near the pant leg hem so I would not suffer pocket knife 'bulge'. These last two photos are shown looking inside the pants. The small shaft to the inside and the clip head side to the outside.
[/URL

I think a proper designed sewing job would be great, but my man skills kicked in and I bought some small brass safety pins and made the pocket in a pocket myself. I couldn't find any brass or SS staples...ha Right handers in the right pocket and left handers in the left pocket. I took small pliers and pinched down the opening holding the sharp point in check. These have withstood hundreds of washings with no problems. I used a small sharpie type marker to mark my final spots in case I had issues or the magic sewing genie suddenly appeared. You have to imagine the slot in your pocket, couldn't force my phone down there to take a photo......
[URL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/300bucks/media/IMG_0557.gif.html]

I think this will also work in jeans front pockets if the folder is too large for a watch pocket or they don't have one. I still have and use some slips, especially on dress pants. Or with pants she deems "nice" pants. My slip designs can be found in a search. I also have a design in mind someone with metal working skills or contacts will have to come up with I will need to go to PhotoBucket to find drawing.

Here is the idea: a nice small iink SS metal chain on a leather slip than will hang in your pocket to the side. The metal clip holding the belt end of the chain will clip on your belt but the 'spring' clip part will ride over the top edge of the belt. A company could even laser their name or even your initials on the clip that is visible. You can use a split ring on the slip end to adjust length for perfect fit. There your go someone a freebie idea to make a wad of cash. I sent this to Buck a while back but guess it was a no go....ha

300Bucks

Last edited:
The firehose people are the best have multiple long & short, lined, & ballroom plus tons of other stuff. Plus they have the best catalogs ever.

The firehose people are the best have multiple long & short, lined, & ballroom plus tons of other stuff. Plus they have the best catalogs ever.

Are we not allowed to say Duluth Trading, or did the name escape you?

That was me that said that, I likely wouldn't have said anything to anyone if they used the Company name as long as you don't talk prices. But, I am Moderator and we have to walk on the water, at least a step or two. 300

Sad state of affairs in Indiana. I needed to buy a model 110 as a gift. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, and the first WM I checked were all OUT of model 110s! Hard to believe. I did find one at another WM. Fit finish, blade centering, and lockup were all perfect.

Mark,

I'm assuming you were using a zoom and not bending down to get a closeup.

Bert

Back