The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

Being the ecologist you are, I am guessing you used a stick to pin his head down and grab it in order to take the measurement presented. 300

Being the ecologist you are, I am guessing you used a stick to pin his head down and grab it in order to take the measurement presented. 300

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would notice the precise measurement given of the snake.
It was actually as precise as I could get from a few feet away without risking puncture wounds to my body. :)

Here's a guy I wasn't expecting to see on my last hike;

gTVgW26.jpg

Here's a guy I wasn't expecting to see on my last hike;

Stumps,

A little over fifty years ago, an outfit that supplied rough stock for rodeos had some of us come out to test some new horses and bulls. They had a longhorn that, if it would be good rodeo stock, they would cut the horns back to legal rodeo length; otherwise they would cut them back full length for wall mounts. I ended up riding the longhorn and no matter where I was he could reach back and rake me with his horns. I don't know if they ended up cutting him short or long. All I know is that it was quite a ride.

Bert

Stumps,

A little over fifty years ago, an outfit that supplied rough stock for rodeos had some of us come out to test some new horses and bulls. They had a longhorn that, if it would be good rodeo stock, they would cut the horns back to legal rodeo length; otherwise they would cut them back full length for wall mounts. I ended up riding the longhorn and no matter where I was he could reach back and rake me with his horns. I don't know if they ended up cutting him short or long. All I know is that it was quite a ride.

Bert

I'll bet you wanted to grab hold of those horns and hold on! That doesn't sound like any fun at all to me. :)

I wasn't raised in that environment, but I always thought it would be fun steer wrestling.

Just got back a couple days ago from a one week hike in south Florida.
A friend needed to fill in a couple sections of the Florida Trail that he had missed and I volunteered to go with him. (his wife wouldn't let him go by himself) :)
The first 3 days were through Big Cypress Swamp in the Everglades. Here are a few pictures of critters we ran across...mostly on the north side after we got out of the water.

This is my buddy walking in Big Cypress.

sH4q7rR.jpg

We saw this guy just after we started.

oRZXohp.jpg

Chief walked to within 4 feet of this 12 footer before we saw him. (I was telling him a story at the time, but he kept his eyes open after this close encounter)

rnH6Svd.jpg

This guy was about 10 feet long and much smaller in weight that the 12 footer.

pydeXNG.jpg

Nice smile.....

EcCRnZk.jpg

This was the second 12 footer we ran across.

zZtx9U1.jpg

This little guy was only about 8 feet long. He was resting his head on a clump of grass.

XkpNVyD.jpg

Good photos, Stumps. For me, those are like snakes. They're fine as long as I see them before I'm on top of them. We don't see many of them where I live.

Bert

Haa, I believe I'd rather deal with a rattler or a sick coyote than the critters he stumbles onto in those swamps. Some very good photos. DM

How long do you have to boil it? Not long. I know the ratio of sap to syrup is way high. Like 7:1. One reason why it requires many trees. DM

How long do you have to boil it? Not long. I know the ratio of sap to syrup is way high. Like 7:1. One reason why it requires many trees. DM

The sap to syrup ratio is closer to 40:1. I dont have a fancy evaporator so it takes a while. I only tap 7 trees, but each tap can produce 2 gallons on a good day. I've processed 30 gallons of sap the past couple days. Boil it down till temp reaches 218 degrees (at my elevation). 10 gallons of sap takes about 5 hrs.

Tony, that is a job. Hope it's worth it. In the summer time are the taps plugged, to prevent tree boars? DM

Tony, that is a job. Hope it's worth it. In the summer time are the taps plugged, to prevent tree boars? DM

No, the holes are not plugged. They heal quickly starting in the Spring. Looking at where the trees were tapped last year, they all have a healthy looking layer of bark. Visible mark, yes, but they all look great.

Man, you get a lot more rain there than we do. Here, tree bores would stand in line to get going on that hole. Thanks, DM

The sap to syrup ratio is closer to 40:1. I dont have a fancy evaporator so it takes a while. I only tap 7 trees, but each tap can produce 2 gallons on a good day. I've processed 30 gallons of sap the past couple days. Boil it down till temp reaches 218 degrees (at my elevation). 10 gallons of sap takes about 5 hrs.

So the 30 gallons of sap will eventually be 3/4 of a gallon of maple syrup. How much syrup do you end up with each year and how much propane do you use?
Sounds like a nice winter project to do it on a small scale like you do...and you can stay warm doing it and maybe teach some kids where it comes from. :thumbup:

I was going through some old photographs this morning and came across this one.
My wife's uncle was Roy Rogers' barber way back. I understand they were good friends at the time.
The younger girl in the photo eventually became my wife when she turned 25. The older girl is her sister Konnie.

zqLGlt3.jpg

I remember gasoline being 20 cents a gallon. :)

that's a nice picture Mark ! the car last behind seems to be a 1962 corvette c1 , the last version of c1 before the even better c2 !

Back