The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

So the 30 gallons of sap will eventually be 3/4 of a gallon of maple syrup. How much syrup do you end up with each year and how much propane do you use?
Sounds like a nice winter project to do it on a small scale like you do...and you can stay warm doing it and maybe teach some kids where it comes from. :thumbup:

Last year I made about 3/4 gallon. As long as the weather cooperates, I hope to make more than that. I've used about $10 worth of propane so far. I'm thinking about mixing a wood fired arch evaporator into my process....and growing it a little.

Propane last pretty decent. I have 3 bottles that I use to heat my shop and depending on how much time I spend in it during cold spells, they last 2 winters each. DM

David, I have a question about your water storage. Do you get algae in the white tank? Thanks, mp

Yes, some. But we pump it out or net it out. On a long handled pole, reach in and dip it out. This tank has a thicker poly wall and is capable of holding greater density liquids. Whereas the black tanks cannot. Shop carefully. DM

Shotguns

I've started out bowhunting when I was 14 and a little later I picked up a 12 ga New England Firearms single shot. I used the single shot on squirrel, rabbit, deer. My uncle gave me a Glenfield .30 .30 that I use on deer and I have a Marlin .22 lever action that was my great grandpas made in 1906 and I have a Muzzle loader. While I've always been into hunting, I've never really been into guns and rifles. Just maybe take a few shots before the season to make sure everything was sighted in. Now I'm 47 and for some reason all of a sudden I've gotten the shotgun bug. My property is mostly thickets and pretty much all I hunt with come gun season is my Single shot 12 guage.
I'd like some suggestions for pump action newby. I'd just like something a little nicer that I could pass on to my son. I've been reading up on the Ithaca model 37 and Remington 870. I don't want anything tactical, something kind of timeless with wood. And I don't understand chokes and barrels and would like to keep it simple.
From what I've read, I'd like to pick up a vintage Ithaca 37, but not really knowing anything, I don't want to get anything that someone else has modified or could have problems and be changed up from the original. SO I might be better off just picking up a standard brand new Remington 870 for under $350? Probably won't be shooting rifled slugs, just buckshot. I pretty much gun hunt the way I bowhunt, close and don't really need a shotgun, but you know how it is. My best buck was also my longest shot and it was maybe 30 yards.
Thoughts and any pics appreciated.

Remington 870 Express... hands down. If you want something a little fancier, find an 870 Wingmaster.

There are more 870s sold than grains of sand on the east coast for good reason.

All BCCI Members should go to the BCCI website...
Tell the Officers and Board Members what you think
about voting and any change you would like to see
happen in the Club... John Foresman and other are
waiting to hear from all member...
So if you want any kind of change on how things are
done for the club... Now is a good time to Voice your
opinion... :thumbsup:

:)

I have done so, ITE, thanks for gettting the ball rolling. Preston

Shotguns

I've started out bowhunting when I was 14 and a little later I picked up a 12 ga New England Firearms single shot. I used the single shot on squirrel, rabbit, deer. My uncle gave me a Glenfield .30 .30 that I use on deer and I have a Marlin .22 lever action that was my great grandpas made in 1906 and I have a Muzzle loader. While I've always been into hunting, I've never really been into guns and rifles. Just maybe take a few shots before the season to make sure everything was sighted in. Now I'm 47 and for some reason all of a sudden I've gotten the shotgun bug. My property is mostly thickets and pretty much all I hunt with come gun season is my Single shot 12 guage.
I'd like some suggestions for pump action newby. I'd just like something a little nicer that I could pass on to my son. I've been reading up on the Ithaca model 37 and Remington 870. I don't want anything tactical, something kind of timeless with wood. And I don't understand chokes and barrels and would like to keep it simple.
From what I've read, I'd like to pick up a vintage Ithaca 37, but not really knowing anything, I don't want to get anything that someone else has modified or could have problems and be changed up from the original. SO I might be better off just picking up a standard brand new Remington 870 for under $350? Probably won't be shooting rifled slugs, just buckshot. I pretty much gun hunt the way I bowhunt, close and don't really need a shotgun, but you know how it is. My best buck was also my longest shot and it was maybe 30 yards.
Thoughts and any pics appreciated.
The old model Ithaca 37 is the best......I think you know that if you've handled one, worked the action and listened to it. The sound of quality and all steel. They're quick in reloading to the magazine and you can unload the magazine without working the action (these are important features).
Sorry, 870 fans.......I know there are a lot of you, but that's just because it's inexpensive and thus very popular.
But the old Ithaca 37 wins hands down on every count.
You can always make arrangements to have a gunsmith look it over for you to make sure it's working good and original condition. You'll never be sorry about buying a 37.

Its popular
Sales of the 870 have been steady. They reached two million guns by 1973 (ten times the number of Model 31 shotguns it replaced). As of 1983, the 870 held the record for best-selling shotgun in history with three million sold.[5] By 1996, spurred by sales of the basic "Express" models, which were added as a lower-cost alternative to the original Wingmaster line, sales topped seven million guns. On April 13, 2009, the ten millionth Model 870 was produced
April 13th is my birthday. The 10 millionth 870 was sold on that day.

If it's good enough for the US military it's good enough for me.
M870 Shotgun
THe M870 is a pump-action, 12-gauge shotgun in use throughout the US military. It is the military version of the Remington 870 shotgun and comes in a wide range of configurations of different barrel lengths, stocks and manufacturing materials.

M870 shotguns have been used by US Special Operations Forces (SOF) for decades. M870s have been by SEAL boarding teams. Division Recon Marines took them with them when they spearheaded the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

When SOF teams fight in urban environments, shotguns, such as the M870, are ideal when used for close quarters battle (CQB).

Counter-terrorism teams such as Delta Force assaulters use the M870 as a breaching shotgun. In this configuration, the M870, typically with a 10 inch barrel and with stock removed, is loaded with special breaching rounds which are used to shoot away door hinges and locks.

I wanted a piece of history that is bad ass.

Plus Remington vs Ithaca

Two classics collide in the championship of our Sweet 16 of whitetail shotguns. The Remington 870, America's shotgun, meets the Ithaca Deerslayer. The 870, deservedly the number one seed in its division, has probably shot more deer than any other shotgun in the tournament. The Deerslayer, on the other hand, is one of the first dedicated slug guns, and still one of the best.

Both guns blew out the competition in the Final Four. The 870 trounced the Mossberg 500 and the Ithaca beat Browning's A-Bolt by two to one margins. You'd have to call the Remington the favorite here, a product of the Big Green Machine that has built more than 10,000,000 870s since 1950.

Meanwhile the plucky Ithaca is an underdog that has faced adversity over the years. It has survived bankruptcies and plant closings and here it is, hoping to cut down the nets.

It appears nobody is into Tlingit totem poles either.

Beautiful lake bed and flower. I hope you grabbed one of the rocks for a pet. :)

I was liking that totem a lot but could not stop
looking at the picture of the lake bottom . Great
pictures guys .

A one-shot kill.......in his tracks.
(I'm just experimenting with re-sizing and posting pictures.)
:D
cJpe08F.jpg

A one-shot kill.......in his tracks.
(I'm just experimenting with re-sizing and posting pictures.)
cJpe08F.jpg
Its a good thing I am not a vegetarian. I would be offended. Posting a pic of farm life is one thing. Bragging about a one shot kill is another.

Its a good thing I am not a vegetarian. I would be offended. Posting a pic of farm life is one thing. Bragging about a one shot kill is another.

A one-shot kill is a positive thing. It should not offend anyone. The good hunter drops them in their tracks. It's the humane way. This old boy never knew what hit him (it was a 130 grain .270 Winchester). He dropped and never moved. He received the prayer of thanks from the hunter.
Field dressed with a Buck 112 (what did you think we used these knives for, Makael?).

I picked up a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Based on the barrel number (DC), it was made in either 1956, or 1982. I was wondering from this pic (sorry, its the only pic I have so far) if anyone can help me narrow down the year? It is a full fixed choke, 12 guage 2 3/4. I think its a 56, but my nephew has one from the 50's that has the corncob forend, and mine doesn't have that? I guess there are some changes to photobucket, and this is the largest pic it will allow?

Last edited:
Back