The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist why did you choose to go with such thick stock on the upcoming design?

this'll sound like a cop out, but you'll know why instantly after picking one up.
here's a little something I've been sitting on which is intended as content for the upcoming thread regarding this knife, might provide an answer of sorts to your question;

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist why did you choose to go with such thick stock on the upcoming design?

This one is intended to be a slightly more heavy duty beater than most of our work. It fills a role we needed. I went with a custom thickness because I felt 1/4" would be too thick. With the fuller and the skeletonized tang it isn't a heavy as it appears.

this'll sound like a cop out, but you'll know why instantly after picking one up.
here's a little something I've been sitting on which is intended as content for the upcoming thread regarding this knife, might provide an answer of sorts to your question;

Thanks for that Lorien Lorien . I figured it had to do with being able to pry on it. That thing is gonna baton wood like nobody's business.

This one is intended to be a slightly more heavy duty beater than most of our work. It fills a role we needed. I went with a custom thickness because I felt 1/4" would be too thick. With the fuller and the skeletonized tang it isn't a heavy as it appears.

Alright awesome. I'm not a fan of thick stock so I'm really glad you didn't go 1/4". You ever experience any breakage or failure with a 3/16" stock? I only ask because I'm figuring something (a bad experience with thin) would make you go thicker.

^^^ Not speaking for Nathan but this is what I have gathered so far:

I SERIOUSLY doubt if there will be a pre-order opportunity for the Heavy Chopper. I understand that none of the past HCs were production level items and although a handful or so of them exist in the wild, they were all prototypes in the hands of trusted users, close friends and collectors for safekeeping. If and when this new resurrection of that HC (purportedly on Nathan's to-do-list) becomes an actuality, it will be in a very limited run (a number of 20 units had been mentioned) and they will then be offered during a future Friday's sale on a first come and first served basis. IMHO, the bidding activity on these will be off the chart!!!

Revised because of the posts below!

Last edited:
the HC sales thread is going to be a bloodbath

the HC sales thread is going to be a bloodbath

Oh yeah, for sure. As I recall, Nathan mentioned in one of the threads that out of the 20 HC's, probably only 12-14 or so would make it to the sale, since several will be tested, useBd, ruined, etc.

Bloodbath is probably not too strong a description at all.

You know, never mind. It wasn't important. Good luck everybody.

Last edited:
^^^ Not speaking for Nathan but this is what I have gathered so far:

I SERIOUSLY doubt if there will be a pre-order opportunity for the Heavy Chopper. I understand that none of the past HCs were production level items and although a handful or so of them exist in the wild, they were all prototypes in the hands of trusted users, close friends and collectors for safekeeping. If and when this new resurrection of that HC (purportedly on Nathan's to-do-list) becomes an actuality, it will be in a very limited run (a number of 20 units had been mentioned) and they will then be offered during a future Friday's sale on a first come and first served basis. IMHO, the bidding activity on these will be off the chart!!!

Revised because of the posts below!
I am guessing at some point both the Heavy Choppers, and Competition Choppers will be offered on a Pre-Sale because of the Recent expansion (Addition of new equipment) and Demand! Just a guess :cool: But first please SHIV me ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back