The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan,

I've been wondering, with my proclivity toward shivs, if you have any sense of how many shivs you've made over time, whether they were in only A2 and 3V and what percent of the total were A2 or 3V? It's only curiousity that drives the question, so a gut response would be just fine. Thanks! Bob

Probably around 250 total, of which perhaps 60 were A2? I can't remember for certain.

Lets say I will buy one of the CPK knives through forum's BST or on one of the Friday sales. Will it possible to send my own micarta ( I have some nice teal burlap micarta blanks) directly to the shop to be made into scales?

Ummmmm.. forgive my ignorance, whats that top one?

Hey Mike, I'm sorry, I didn't see your question earlier. Fortunately Nate did a better job of answering it than I could've, and I learned that there were only three made like that.:)

That's a double edge utility fighter. I think there are about three of them with that top grind like that. That bevel was ground by hand, not milled.

Hey Mike, I'm sorry, I didn't see your question earlier. Fortunately Nate did a better job of answering it than I could've, and I learned that there were only three made like that.:)

The top grind just does it for me on that knife.. The handle material certainly helps too. I think that qualifies as a CPK Grail. Right click>save as desktop.

Not necessarily a Q for Nathan but a general statement:

Sadly with the new format BFC and the transition to the new servers, Nathan's super informative WIP threads are no longer accessible :(

Lets say I will buy one of the CPK knives through forum's BST or on one of the Friday sales. Will it possible to send my own micarta ( I have some nice teal burlap micarta blanks) directly to the shop to be made into scales?

We've done this in the past and it doesn't always work out well. I've run wood people have provided and "micarta" (actually Shadetree which is not micarta) that warped after processing leaving me having invested a non-trivial effort to process a material that comes as a block when we're setup to process sheet, just to scrap it.

We have written off about 100 pounds of Shadetree material because it didn't run well in our process. That was an expensive mistake, so I'm a little gun shy running unusual "micarta".

Not necessarily a Q for Nathan but a general statement:

Sadly with the new format BFC and the transition to the new servers, Nathan's super informative WIP threads are no longer accessible :(

post in tech support, Spark's still workin on the bugs

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , now that you've started work on them, when do you think the NASKS will begin to ship? I figure that since you're into the project you'll have a better idea of where you stand.

Also, about how far out are you from being able to have a functioning prototype of the EDC-inspired folder Lorien Lorien designed? Obviously I'm just looking for a roundabout figure on this one.

Nathan, any time frame when the BC will be offered for a Pre-Ordero_O:thumbsup:
View attachment 722738

I'll start physical testing on one in a week or two and apply what I find on it to others. If I end up with something I like I'll sell some of the prototypes. This is development work, so there are no sure things, but assuming all goes well it may become a standard pattern down the road. If it does it might be chosen for a pre-order at some point, though I don't like to have too many of those going at one time so it's difficult to say at this point.

Back