The Ask Todd Thread

Hey Todd, or Murph

I noticed in a few pics the blanks are coated with a red paint (at least I think it's paint). I'm curious, what is the purpose?

It's just dykem, used to give it a temporary finish so we can lightly scratch the outline into it. You'll see it still on in various stages of production, but it all comes off once we profile the blade.

Hey Todd, or Murph

I noticed in a few pics the blanks are coated with a red paint (at least I think it's paint). I'm curious, what is the purpose?

It's just dykem, used to give it a temporary finish so we can lightly scratch the outline into it. You'll see it still on in various stages of production, but it all comes off once we profile the blade.

Thanks for fielding the question for me Murph, (I've been a little busy lately) uh, yeah, Tom, Murph is right, its called Dykem. Its not a paint at all, it a lot thinner of material that is alcohol based that basically when it dries, puts a very small colored film on the material. You then can take a awl and lay out any kind of things your wanting to do, grind lines, plunge lines, jimping, makers stamps, holes, whatever you want to do, you can lay it out on it. Usually by the end of the fabrication process of the knife its all off, but if its not, it just wipes off with Dykem remover which is just basically fingernail polish remover.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before... but what about a T.M. Hunt exchange thread similar to the Fiddleback Flea Market that Andy has over in the Fiddleback forum?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before... but what about a T.M. Hunt exchange thread similar to the Fiddleback Flea Market that Andy has over in the Fiddleback forum?

I am not familiar with that thread so I will have to check it out. However, it does sound interesting even thought I dont know what it is. :p but let it be known, this sub forum isn't just some place for me and Murph to run our mouths. Its a free canvas for all of us to use (responsibly please) to discuss knives, beer, music whatever. However, knives are why we are all here and my knives more specifically here. If you wish to start something like that and it brings more people to my subforum and introduces more people to my knives than by all means be my guest. I'll do what I can to help.

Still trying to sell your Magua? I've mentioned it in this thread I believe. I know of the Fiddleback flea market thread, if the rules allow I don't see an issue.

Still trying to sell your Magua? I've mentioned it in this thread I believe. I know of the Fiddleback flea market thread, if the rules allow I don't see an issue.

Murph, didnt you have a certain buyer that wanted a Magua that is fond of white?

I am not familiar with that thread so I will have to check it out. However, it does sound interesting even thought I dont know what it is. :p but let it be known, this sub forum isn't just some place for me and Murph to run our mouths. Its a free canvas for all of us to use (responsibly please) to discuss knives, beer, music whatever. However, knives are why we are all here and my knives more specifically here. If you wish to start something like that and it brings more people to my subforum and introduces more people to my knives than by all means be my guest. I'll do what I can to help.

I've bought and sold a few Fiddlebacks over there in that thread and had much better success at both selling and finding what I want there as all that Fiddleback goodness is concentrated in one spot.

I don't think the need has really arisen here yet as everyone really seems to really want to hold on to their Hunt knives; you don't see too many come up on the exchange. I like the idea of a Hunt exchange though as all the die-hards and people we know here will be subscribed to that one thread just waiting to pounce when the one they want comes available. The more knives you get out there, the more people may want to buy, sell, or trade just to get the exact knife they want in the exact configuration they want. I've got the white Magua listed for sale, but it wasn't my first choice in handle colour/material when I bought it, I have it listed mainly so I can pick up another in a different configuration. I'm also considering a second Yuma in a slightly different configuration as well.

In looking over various pics of your knives, I occasionally see blanks that have a ton of holes drilled in the tang. more than 2 or 3 for pins. What are all the other holes for?? Are they for "balancing" the knives or are they there to provide voids for glue to help hold the scales on?? Or something else???

The reasons you mentioned, Zzz, might be right but thats not the main reason. The real reason is because that is where he sprinkles the unicorn dust that makes his blades cut like magic.:D

I thought I had seen this discussed before but I can't seem to find it so I'll ask again - what is black coating or finish on the blades?

In looking over various pics of your knives, I occasionally see blanks that have a ton of holes drilled in the tang. more than 2 or 3 for pins. What are all the other holes for?? Are they for "balancing" the knives or are they there to provide voids for glue to help hold the scales on?? Or something else???

while they do help lighten a handle slightly, the bigger reason for them is to give the epoxy room to squeeze into rather than out the sides of the scales.

Have you ever thought about taking 1/4" off the magua blade to make it legal carry length? (Or have you already done it?) I know the 3x3 has a 3" blade but I like the blade and handle shape of the magua better?

Have you ever thought about taking 1/4" off the magua blade to make it legal carry length? (Or have you already done it?) I know the 3x3 has a 3" blade but I like the blade and handle shape of the magua better?

Haha, I was scrolling down to post this very question. Well, sort of; I was going to ask if Todd was interested in turning the Magua design into a Bird and Trout sort of knife. I pose this question pretending I know what I'm talking about here......perhaps I don't. :D

Haha, I was scrolling down to post this very question. Well, sort of; I was going to ask if Todd was interested in turning the Magua design into a Bird and Trout sort of knife. I pose this question pretending I know what I'm talking about here......perhaps I don't. :D

Uh, no, I havnt. But not because I wouldn't or dont want to. Truth is I've never had to. See, this might be hard for you to believe, but Indiana (where I live) have no writen knife laws. I know I know, I didnt believe it either, so I checked with the local police chief and with a attorney and sure enough, its true. Granted, I might get hassled by the law if I wore my brass back to Applebees. But legally, as long as I dont take it into a airport or courthouse. There is no limit on legal carry blade lenths. So, I make what I want, sorry your state sucks! Lol.
Having said that. I AM a custom knife maker. I can make any size blade you want.

Thank you for the reply, Todd. Ohio has similar laws. There are no state laws regarding length, but some local municipalities have restrictions. For the most part it all boils down to intent and the mood of the LEO on that particular day. A 3.25" blade would be a perfect edc for me and I wouldnt have any issues (then again I dont break the law lol). I was mainly asking to get a response from you for anyone in a more strict state that was thinking about the Magua but wasnt sure about blade length because of their state laws.

oklahoma's laws are kind of weird, we can carry a folder any size up to a 5inch balde but no AO or atuos, but with fixed blades the only laws are no daggers, dirks. or bowies.
btw did you get my last email todd?

Back