The HOGB8 Thread

Which style for the satin HOGB8?

• Regulator blade and handle shape, with .30+" thickness, but in satin INFI

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Basic blade and handle shape, but with modest swedged clip and massive thickness

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A short history of this very loooong thread...:D

The Limited Edition Basic 8 was part of a Basic LE “quartet" introduced at Blade Show 2011. Included were the Limited Edition Basic 4, Basic 6, Basic 8 and Basic 10.

I started this thread in December 2013 to try and drum up support for release of the Basic 8, the only one of the four that hadn't been released at that point. On Valentine's Day 2015, we got our wish...

Posted 2-14-15:

Oh, there's a Ganzaaaa coming my friends!!!!:D

A Basic Eight LE Ganzaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

And it's coming next week!:thumbup:

So, sharpen your hooves and prepare for Trough Warfare!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

'til then,

Let's Drink!!!!:thumbup:

Jerry :D

After the very well-received release, Stump Buster, Tom Kanik and a host of others decided to keep this thread alive in hopes of a beefier model, a dream knife that has come to be known as the HOG B8. Following are Stump Buster's thoughts after more than two years of discussion, analysis and fervent wishes:

"HOG B-EIGHT"

We have bantered about thicknesses ranging between .270-.358 (with .308 being pretty popular for obvious reasons) = True HOG territory!

Blade Length - If we stick with the .308 thickness, 7.62" from the Res-C handle should be about right and still be close enough to 8" to be called a B8.

A Saber Ground Blade would be grEIGHT for chopping, battoning, prying, climbing, wrecking and hammering. A chunky slab-o-INFI would also be an old school, classically influenced BUSSE bombproof blade that would be reminscent of the time NOSS' hair turned gray from frustration after trying to destroy a FFBM. This BEight Pile of INFI would be even more NOSS proof!!!

If I had my druthers, I dream of a choiless blade (with the bottom edge of the ricasso flat and even with the guard section of the Res-C handle).

The icing on that dream cake would be SAR 8 style jimping on the spine, a clip point and an unsharpened swedge (But... I LIKE Cake, icing or not)!!!

The release of the HOG B-EIGHT would be the release of a BEAST of EPIC PROPORTIONS (just like this thread that Will started soooooo long ago).

The demand is there!!! Want Proof???.... We're over 503,850 views and 7,295 replies as of this typing. PIGLETS, Soldiers, Adventurers, Campers, Survivalists, Collectors, Dreamers... i.e: Good Folks from ALL walks of life..... WANT THIS BLADE!!!:thumbup:

The Bossman knows this, and if he decides to release the Beast, he knows the order backlog would put the OTW waits to shame and he'd probably have to hire a bajillion more employees and build another new wing onto "Compound Wauseon" to keep up with demand!!! The other problem is the number of e-mails would probably CRASH his server and he'd have to get secret federal agency to recover the lost e-mails.

Dreamers will Dream & Droolers will DROOL....

And FINALLY, on 10/1/17:

The HOGB8 Is coming next! Wooo Hoooo!!!!!
I'm drinking!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

So now you know the story, and why this at times may have seemed like the thread that would not die. :D :D :D

Delivered 6/12/2018:
FC571E66-8D36-45A8-8866-DA8CBE46A02B.jpeg

THANKS JERRY!!!

Last edited:
I've never owned a Basic. I would be in for one or two of anything 8+ (wishing for a Basic 13 though).

Basic 13 would be great! Promised myself no more knife buying until next Christmas... But if a Basic 13 came out, I'll probably break

How thick was the one that was at Blade?

Other than the Basic 4 offered in anorexic (.155") and magnum (.22"), the array of LE Basics at Blade a couple of years ago were all nominally .25" thick, IIRC. However, in production the Basic 6 ended up at .21" and the Basic 10 was .23".

I'm hoping the Basic 8 LE will be .25" thick per the original, but as long as it's at least .22" I'll be fine with it.

Last edited:
Other than the Basic 4 offered in anorexic (.155”) and magnum (.22”), the array of LE Basics at Blade a couple of years ago were all nominally .25” thick, IIRC. However, in production the Basic 6 ended up at .218” and the Basic 10 was .23”.

I’m hoping the Basic 8 LE will be .25” thick per the original, but as long as it’s at least .22” I’ll be fine with it.

Thanks for the info. I agree, at least .22 and I'm game for a B8.

Back