The Day My LM Wave saved my Hide!

I firmly believe having my LM Wave on me saved my life or from great bodily harm!
I semi frequently deliver furniture to west and east Baltimore. On this particular day I was I in the "blue light district" of west Baltimore. For those of you that are not familiar, there is so many shootings and homicides in that area. So much so that the "blue lights" record gun shots and take pictures of the entire area when a gunshot or flash of the barrel happens. This day way 4 days after the riots ended. I was in one of the 'hoods where the riot occured.
When my day started I had no idea I was going to Baltimore. I got a call from my part time boss asking to help with a delivery after hours at my full-time job and I agreed. I was carrying a mora clipper, a tactical pen, surefire lumamax L4 and my dear friend the LM Wave. When I know I am going to Baltimore I usually carried a Cold Steel recon 1xl and a Case trapper. Cold Steel for self defense and the slip joint for actual cutting tasks. I don't like the idea of carrying a bright orange fixed blade in Baltimore.
We had to deliver around 40 chairs and 10 large office type tables to two guys starting a business. We got the the job around 11pm. It was a very sketchy and obviously dangerous area. Plus it was at night and tension from the riots were definitely in the air.
The two guys were sitting on chairs outside obviously drunk and passing around a bottle of Southern Comfort. But were nice to me and my boss.
It didn't take long before a guy asked them for a dollar and they gave him one. He then proceeded to tell the other panhandlers that he was giving out dollars. He was giving out dollars left and right. He was drunk and loose. I was sort of grateful because when we go to these areas I get harassed for money or to hire them for help.
Then after bringing in a chair I went to get another piece and some guy was moving a desk (uninvited) off the truck. I cussed at him because I believe he was stealing it. The customer then gave him a 5$ bill (he had a stack on him, must be well known in that 'hood) the customer got mad at me for not paying him. He moved the desk 4 feet without permission. Then word rapidly spread that if you try to "help" you get 5$. That brought on plenty of attenton! My boss stayed inside the building pretty much the whole time leaving me alone outside.
I finally got everything loaded off the truck and into the business and my boss and the customers locked me outside. In the ghetto and it's now around 3am. Plus the work truck was locked.
Then the smell of marijuana started to fill the air. I heard loud violent music, laughter and glass breaking from 2 blocks away. I finally saw what was going on. A group of around 50 people making their way in my direction. Punching car windows and smashing beer bottles. I have to admit that I was terrified! I started to bang hard on the business door and was Ignored I know they heard me. I was getting ready to hide in the back of the box truck. When I said it was locked I meant the cab. Just I opened up the back they started yelling threats calling me names I won't post here and getting excited. They were about half a block away one even kicked a stray cat and they erupted in laughter.
At this point my boss barely stuck his head out of the door of the business and told me that many of the chairs were loose. That the customer wasn't happy with his purchase...... That's when I told him that my dear friend the LM Wave could save the day and he let me in!!! It took 20 minutes to fix all of the chairs. I lived and the guys were happy with their purchase! BTW before I got let inside I was having bottles thrown at me. Even though they didn't come close.

Sorry this was so long but it had to be. I asked on a different thread yesterday if you guys wanted to hear this story. A few dudes said yes. Then I said I'd post it today. You guys (in fun) gave me a hard time. I knew it would be long and I had too many beers. Plus I had to get up early.

Last edited:
What did you expect.....

Haha great story... I think we were all expecting a story about you cutting your way out of a burning plane in the Himalayas or fighting off a dozen muggers.

Sounds like a crappy job though, no offense...

Haha great story... I think we were all expecting a story about you cutting your way out of a burning plane in the Himalayas or fighting off a dozen muggers.

Sounds like a crappy job though, no offense...
89% of the time it's not. Me being from Minnesota and boss man being from philly..... Neither one of us know the city of Baltimore. Just punch in the GPS and off we go.

:) Hey Minnesota ! Great story . Thanks for sharing . I love this kind of story because it exemplifies the finest principles of self defense (and true manliness ;) ) ; i.e. using your wits to avoid violence . :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Why on earth did they lock you out and not let you in? Your boss was going to let you get mobbed and maybe murdered?

Time to rip him a new ass and find a new job. Good grief.

So had you not had a multitool or screw driver, you would have been kept out of the building...by your own boss.

MINNESOTA : (KNOCK KNOCK) LET ME IN, A MOB OF HOODLUMS IS COMING!!

BOSS: (*CRICKETS*)

MINNESOTA: ( looks around, thinks oh man!) (KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK) Hey let me in!!

BOSS: (CRACKS DOOR) Hey, Minnesota these chairs are loose, customers not happy.

MINNESOTA: CRAP, I forgot my tools!

BOSS: (CLOSES DOOR AND LOCKS IT)

MINNESOTA: (AHHH, HELP, SCREAMS OF BLOODY MURDER)

BOSS to CUSTOMER: Good help is hard to find. Sorry about these loose chairs.

Pretty much I was/still ain't pleased about what transpired that "lovely night". Truth be told (I hope the mods don't get mad).... I am white he's black. The inner city blacks give him a harder time and threaten him worse then they do me. Because he speaks properly, has manners and dresses appropriately. I don't want this post to be negative by any means! No matter who you are we are in it for the love of edged tools/knives and in this case multi tools! God bless all of you guys!

Man, you couldn't pay me enough to do deliveries into urban Baltimore in the middle of the night, especially without knowing the area.

Man, you couldn't pay me enough to do deliveries into urban Baltimore in the middle of the night, especially without knowing the area.
After that I'm effing done going to Baltimore! A big part of that is my son. I never enjoyed going to the 'hood either in the Twin cities, Philly, or Baltimore. Those are the three large cities I've lived near but not in. I am only 31 but up until my son was born (late 2014). I Didn't mind going to the hood. Mostly because I didn't want to show weakness or seam intimidated to other guys. But once my kid came along it was risk vs. Reward! If I'm ridiculed for saying no to deliver to bad neighborhoods i don't care. My life is worth more than 14$ per hour. I wish I figured that years ago. Being full of testosterone I felt like a tough guy. It's not worth it. Even though it took awhile to say no, I'm still alive here in BF!

After that I'm effing done going to Baltimore! A big part of that is my son. I never enjoyed going to the 'hood either in the Twin cities, Philly, or Baltimore. Those are the three large cities I've lived near but not in. I am only 31 but up until my son was born (late 2014). I Didn't mind going to the hood. Mostly because I didn't want to show weakness or seam intimidated to other guys. But once my kid came along it was risk vs. Reward! If I'm ridiculed for saying no to deliver to bad neighborhoods i don't care. My life is worth more than 14$ per hour. I wish I figured that years ago. Being full of testosterone I felt like a tough guy. It's not worth it. Even though it took awhile to say no, I'm still alive here in BF!
I drove a taxi in Columbus, OH back in the 70's , just part time while going to school . Not generally a rough city but some bad enough neighborhoods . I did always have a gun on me when driving and did show it a few times to prevent hostilities . I didn't know the city well enough to avoid the bad areas and didn't continue that job very long . Just not worth it . I shoulda just got me a nice multitool ! :p

Living in Birmingham, AL- I can identify with there being bad parts of town. The ironic thing is that my black co-workers acknowledge that too. Yes being white makes me a bigger target but thugs kill/rob with no prejudice. The black folks I work with know that too. It would seem the honesty in discussion is more present in AL than MD. I know when I lived in NC that the ability to have this discussion was not near as available between two people of different races.

I also would have had to say to the guy "are you trying to get me lynched, Dumb Ass?" And probably added "if you ever leave me in an unsafe place again while doing your business, there will be repercussions"

I make sales calls for a living and since moving to Birmingham in 2008, have actually driven off from a business I planned on seeing when the natives were paying too much attention to me. I make a very good living but getting assaulted in any way while between car and customer ain't happening if I can control it. I CCW as well but don't want to have to go there either.

Back