The Drawing Board

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Drawing_Hands.jpg

Brainstorming. Let's see what we can come up with.

I hate to overwhelm your already full head but...

With the wharncliffe Corsair on the board, I wouldn't mind seeing a thin, smaller version of it like a "Corsair II" Bird and Trout. Toss a Corsair in a room with a paring knife. Light some candles. Play a little Barry White...
Handle: 3.75" to 4"
Blade: 2.75" to 3"
Blade height: 3/4"
;)

I hope this is the kind of input you're looking for.

With the wharncliffe Corsair on the board, I wouldn't mind seeing a thin, smaller version of it like a "Corsair II" Bird and Trout. Toss a Corsair in a room with a paring knife. Light some candles. Play a little Barry White...
;)

"I'm gonna love you just a little bit more baby" if you make one of them.......:rolleyes:

;)

That's Egg Zackery the stuff I'm lookin fer.
A thinner, smaller, slicier, Corsair? Sounds good.

Keep the ideas coming and we'll pick a design and work the details. Meanwhile, I'll listen to some Barry:D
[video=youtube;x0I6mhZ5wMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw[/video]

Do we want to keep the spine profile of the Corsair?
(Slight thumb ramp, straight line to the tip)

What says everyone about blade length?

A steel thickness around .07, .09?

I just looked at a bunch of paring knives and the Corsair, sang them some AL Green and Barry white, and let them do horrible things to each other. I'm getting some scribbles that I'm really liking.

(I'll be heat treating the Corsairs in the next couple of days, don't worry, this thread won't take away from their progress;))

Thin is in. Thick knives sell to kids and fanboys, thin knives cut well. I like the spine of the corsair. Straight enough to be respectable with enough curve to still be sexy.

Thin is in. Thick knives sell to kids and fanboys, thin knives cut well. I like the spine of the corsair. Straight enough to be respectable with enough curve to still be sexy.
Couldn't have said it better meself, gotta have a little pin-up in there.
6944404.jpg

The old guard judging a stack of recruits.

Oh, those are going be nice.... I may have to get on board with that!

I'll get the sketch cleaned up and we'll pick it apart. What's your take on a blade length Scott? The drawings always seem to come out around 2 7/8".

I'll get the sketch cleaned up and we'll pick it apart. What's your take on a blade length Scott? The drawings always seem to come out around 2 7/8".

You're spot on, I was thinking around three inches and possibly figured walnut handles? Or quatersawn Sycamore, Which I might just happen to have.

Last edited:
That sounds good, what's that sycamore look like? I've seen some spalted sycamore that was amazing, never seen quartersawn I don't think.

Maybe a sheathed bird & trout in wood, and a kitchen model in synthetic of some sort? Just throwin that out there.

That's nice lookin stuff, I can see these in a lighter wood like that. How about Chechen?

Back