The Drawing Board

John,
And everyone else! Happy Thursday!

I became a stainless devotee years ago when I could pretty much watch the 1084 I was grinding for my first few knives, Rust while I worked on it from the salt air & at times, heavy moisture pour down the alley of the Garage/Shop of mine.

If you love Carbon Steels, Try AEB-L And yes, I get it from Aldo! It grinds almost as easy as a Carbon Steel and has very good Corrosion resistance, Gives a fine grain, wicked sharp edge too!

I've heard good thing about AEB-L. Lots of straight razors made of that. Could maybe make fer a good fillet knife too! :D

Be ware fillet knives are VERY DANGEROUS to make, that's why a lot of makers don't make them.

Interesting.

I. Did. Not. Know. That. (Johhny Carson)

Can you elaborate why (if you know)? Maybe because they're so small and thin?

Duke of all things fishy- take the dots out of C.O.D. ;)

Laurence- I have heard good things about Aeb-l. (sent you a pm)

Scott- Thanks for the advice there, looks like that's a bit of a different ballgame.

COD, lol, a fish. Herp derp.

I might consider the North Arm fillet in the mean time. S35VN isn't too shabby, though the price is a bit higher than I'd like for a CNC'd blade. But if they're hard to make, that could explain it too.

I'd like to make a very early nomination for the name of the Duke of all that is fishy's filet knife.

How's the Catalina sound? ;)

pby-catalina-flying-boat.jpg

And yes, I want one when they happen. :D

Oooh, perfect name!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared, AEB-L is a perfect Steel for my Culinary knives and would be for a Fillet knife as well, for your lake & stream fresh water about A 4-5" B & T should work, Right?

I like it, the Catalina cutter. :thumbup:

I'd like to make a very early nomination for the name of the Duke of all that is fishy's filet knife.

I'm in no hurry John. :) It's just one of those things that's been kickin around in the back of my head for awhile. As much fishing as I do, I don't know why I haven't made it a priority.

I've got a couple in unknown SS that I use, and they get the job done. One is a cheapy Rapala, and the other is a decent one by Outdoor Edge (made for them by Spyderco back in about '93) that I received from David Bloch, owner of Outdoor Edge, for helping him with his demo booth that shared some space with Diawa Reels (for whom I was doing demo work for when I was sponsored by them as a youth amateur fisherman - connections... ;)) at a large Denver outdoors show in '93 or '94.

Anyway, whenever you feel comfortable, we should talk. Might hang on to a small piece of that 52100 just in case... :D

Jared you are correct Rapalas are cheapy knives, but they are my go to knife for filleting 10-20 # salmon. I use the 9" model with the birch wood handle I think they are about $20.00. I hand hone them once and then just strop them on a hard buff with green chrome the rest of the summer. My personal knife has a slightly modified bevel and gets sharp enough to pass a hanging hair test usually after each stropping, the other two knives that I let my fishing partners use only sometime can. Even a small modification can make a pretty big difference, the modified edge has noticeably less drag when filleting salmon. IIRC Rapalas used to be 12C27Mod I don't know what they're using now but it's probably something very similar to AEB-L. AEB-L is an excellent steel and is highly under rated.

I want one too. The Catalina is a great aircraft. I always liked the Grumman Duck though. For some reason it just looks manly. :D

J2F.jpg

I've liked the Catalina ever since Quint gave the Indianapolis speech in Jaws. "a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up".

I had a Grumman duck boat. It was their "SportBoat". I loved that tin vessel.

SportBoat8_zpsbfbc59c0.jpg

Thought this one is cool, used as a bush plane, been a solid old plane. Claim de fame, Glen Miller was in one when he disappeared.
Plus, just a cool name for a knife...
The Noorduyn Norseman:
yBfd1Ve.jpg

I've liked the Catalina ever since Quint gave the Indianapolis speech in Jaws. "a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up".

I had a Grumman duck boat. It was their "SportBoat". I loved that tin vessel.

SportBoat8_zpsbfbc59c0.jpg

That and I would get along very well.

Jared you are correct Rapalas are cheapy knives, but they are my go to knife for filleting 10-20 # salmon. I use the 9" model with the birch wood handle I think they are about $20.00. I hand hone them once and then just strop them on a hard buff with green chrome the rest of the summer. My personal knife has a slightly modified bevel and gets sharp enough to pass a hanging hair test usually after each stropping, the other two knives that I let my fishing partners use only sometime can. Even a small modification can make a pretty big difference, the modified edge has noticeably less drag when filleting salmon. IIRC Rapalas used to be 12C27Mod I don't know what they're using now but it's probably something very similar to AEB-L. AEB-L is an excellent steel and is highly under rated.

There is something to be said for using cheapo fillet knives! Especially on a boat and sea going even more so!

Scott Hanson speaks the Truth here about how Modding the edges can make a big Diff on Performance! I use one of my 2 x 72"s with a 15 Micron 3M Silicon Carbide belt.
and then buff the bejeezous on a medium Muslim cotton buff loaded with Green Chrome!

Be careful! The belts are backed by Mylar film that can/will slice the hell outta your digits! :eek::D

Ask me how I know!:rolleyes:

In Aldo AEB-L steel news, I thought a few of you might enjoy this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-NEW-from-the-Baron!!?p=16913505#post16913505 I will check some of this out when the 3/32" comes in.

Jared, AEB-L is a perfect Steel for my Culinary knives and would be for a Fillet knife as well, for your lake & stream fresh water about A 4-5" B & T should work, Right?

For gutting and cooking whole, yes, that is fine and I have plenty to choose from. However, I'm looking for something a bit larger in a fillet knife, because some of the trout and walleye I fillet are pretty decent sized.

I have a 6.5" model. Neighbor's wife in TX gave it to me about 10 or 11 years ago when her husband passed, and she thought it was at least 20 years old at that point. I think it's from the early 90's or so. Birch handle, "handmade" by J. Marttini Sweden. I did thin the edge a bit, and it was then polished on the leather belt with green chrome. Cuts quite well (shaves free-hanging hair when freshly sharpened), but I would like something more along the lines of about 9" and "nicer". The ones I have work just fine, but I'd like a nice one, something that I can have a little pride of ownership in.

There is something to be said for using cheapo fillet knives! Especially on a boat and sea going even more so!

Scott Hanson speaks the Truth here about how Modding the edges can make a big Diff on Performance! I use one of my 2 x 72"s with a 15 Micron 3M Silicon Carbide belt.
and then buff the bejeezous on a medium Muslim cotton buff loaded with Green Chrome!

Be careful! The belts are backed by Mylar film that can/will slice the hell outta your digits! :eek::D

In Aldo AEB-L steel news, I thought a few of you might enjoy this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-NEW-from-the-Baron!!?p=16913505#post16913505 I will check some of this out when the 3/32" comes in.

Thanks for the advice and the link. Sounds like an interesting steel! :cool:

See my other replies above. Agree about the sea-going part, but I don't have to worry about that much here. ;) I wind up cleaning or filleting most of my fish at home, and just want a nice, 8" - 9" fillet knife.

Interesting.

I. Did. Not. Know. That. (Johhny Carson)

Can you elaborate why (if you know)? Maybe because they're so small and thin?

Yes Jared, fillet knife blades are long, thin and flexible and are much more likely to get pulled into a buffer or a grinder then the smaller thicker hunting knives, even drilling handle holes on a drill press the thinner the material is the easier it is for the drill bit to grab hold of it and spin it around on you. These safety issues are some that Bob Loveless talks about in some of his videos.

In his earlier books, Bob Loveless and in person always said, The Buffer is the most dangerous tool in the shop!

I present the knife at 6 o clock position on the green chrome loaded heavy stitch Muslin buff and twist my wrist Motorcycle throttle style to put the edge into the buffer! That way if the blade is grabbed!:eek: Its thrown away from you.

I personally only made a couple of Fillet knives before I decided that Tuna Swords yes! Smaller thin Fillet knives, no thank you!
I tell my customers to buy the cheap ones and I'll put a edge on it. Or buy another maker's expensive ones and i'll do like wise when it needs it.

I seen a guy on U-tube cut a tuna up with a tuna sword like that, they said it was worth $10,000.00, it looked kinda like a samurai sword.

I seen a guy on U-tube cut a tuna up with a tuna sword like that, they said it was worth $10,000.00, it looked kinda like a samurai sword.

I don't think the "shorter" Tuna Swords I've made are worth 10 large! It would be nice! But, Naw! Mine are in the 18-24" range for local California long range boat fisher man.

Those guys in Japan that take apart those 400lb-600lb where the Blue fin can cost 500.000.00 to over a Million USD are another story.

Here is a picture of one of those Japanese Tuna Swords, and they would work just fine for taking people apart as well! Not much of a diff!;)

http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/japan-bluefin-tuna-auction/

I also saw he's doing a # 2 Blue clone soon, I want me some of that.

I don't think the "shorter" Tuna Swords I've made are worth 10 large! It would be nice! But, Naw! Mine are in the 18-24" range for local California long range boat fisher man.

Those guys in Japan that take apart those 400lb-600lb where the Blue fin can cost 500.000.00 to over a Million USD are another story.

Here is a picture of one of those Japanese Tuna Swords, and they would work just fine for taking people apart as well! Not much of a diff!;)

Hmmm, I could see David Stifle making one of those.

That 740 pound Tuna at $632,000.00 equals $854.00 per pound, unbelievable, it doesn't look like I'll be eating tuna anytime soon.lol Laurence do you have any photos of the tuna swords you made, I would like to see them.

I'd like to see that too, I'd never heard of a tuna sword until now.

Agree Scott, a hundred bucks a bite is a little rich for me!

I'd like to see that too, I'd never heard of a tuna sword until now.

Agree Scott, a hundred bucks a bite is a little rich for me!

Scott, John,

Unfortunately the pics went in a puter crash I didn't have backed up!

Think up-swept Fillet that were 1 3/4" to 2 1/4 at the heel of 3/16" ATS-34 that were 18-24" They had about 1- 1 1/2" of bend at the tip, So the stiffness was from the height of the blade

A customer came with a drawing, after completion, and a Tuna trip, his buddy ordered one, and then another one was ordered, so I thought I'd go ahead made another and it sold about two years later. A total of 4, Never had another request!

If you think that was expensive Sushi? A 5-6 hundred pound Tuna sold in 2013 for 1.8 Million bucks! :eek: These are a certain kind of Atlantic Blue Fin that will be extinct in about 10-15 years or less at this rate.

The Sushi Bar chains in Japan buy these as advertising because everyone in the country will know that they payed a record amount and those that can afford it will try to buy some
'

Back