The Drawing Board

Laurence, are those the same kind they catch on the wicked tuna fishing show?

Got 52100?

My paint pen is about kaput. Need to cut into this and start testing it out. Measured out at .105", should make for some slicers.

:thumbup:

acb.jpg

Got 52100?

My paint pen is about kaput. Need to cut into this and start testing it out. Measured out at .105", should make for some slicers.

😎 I trust you have a big enough saw to do that sheet? Years ago I went to having my established patterns done by Water Jet. It really saves a lot of what sanity I have left by not having to do the mind numbing bandsaw and profile grinding of several to 25 plus of the same pattern! 🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪 stay safe, have fun!

Oh we gonna be mashing us some leather now.
Darth Vader, is that you?
It's a small 6 ton bench size unit. Cut the rod down and took off some brackets to get some more clearance, but it should work out well for compressing leather stacks for handles.

Oh we gonna be mashing us some leather now.
Darth Vader, is that you?
It's a small 6 ton bench size unit. Cut the rod down and took off some brackets to get some more clearance, but it should work out well for compressing leather stacks for handles.

Nice! Darth Vader seems appropriate! :thumbup:

acb.jpg
Exactly my first thought. I love that steel.
😎 I trust you have a big enough saw to do that sheet? Years ago I went to having my established patterns done by Water Jet. It really saves a lot of what sanity I have left by not having to do the mind numbing bandsaw and profile grinding of several to 25 plus of the same pattern! 🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪 stay safe, have fun!

Talking about water jets, how much does it cost to have a piece cut? I lost the barrel bushing tool for my Grizzly and to replace it would cost a small fortune. If I could have one cut though...

The Corsair run we did was the first time I did a batch of the same design, so I guess we have one established pattern so far:p

I ordered 8" wide so I could use the portaband to cut it. A 48" piece of steel is awkward when it's 8" wide. The wife helped and we got it cut down so its managable. I cut a couple of small coupons to start testing out some heat treat.

Talking about water jets, how much does it cost to have a piece cut? I lost the barrel bushing tool for my Grizzly and to replace it would cost a small fortune. If I could have one cut though...

How much bigger is the bushing over a standard 1911? Similar shape?

acb.jpg

The Corsair run we did was the first time I did a batch of the same design, so I guess we have one established pattern so far:p

I ordered 8" wide so I could use the portaband to cut it. A 48" piece of steel is awkward when it's 8" wide. The wife helped and we got it cut down so its managable. I cut a couple of small coupons to start testing out some heat treat.

How much bigger is the bushing over a standard 1911? Similar shape?

I need to measure it. I'll do it when I get home tonight.

This is what I need. It may be a simple tool to make. If someone decides to make them and sell them they could make some money. They are really hard to find.
largriz45wmu613.jpg

Last edited:
Oh okay, it's wonky shaped for the compensator I guess. I never use the wrench with a 1911, I draw the slide back about a 1/4", pull the link pin and ride the slide forward and off, just gotta keep the spring from jumping out with your hand. Then you can take the bushing off without it being under pressure, makes it easier to puzzle piece it apart.. Not sure how those Grizzlys are though, They are a bit of a different animal.

It is way too tight to take off without the wrench.

Hey John!
And is that Mack with a new corner pic?

How are the little Knisef makers brother?
Growing like weeds probably!

I've not needed a wrench on any 1911's I've taken apart, maybe half a dozen (Sixx).
Including my cheap Norinco, nor my Kimber Warrior.
But, I'm old, with lousy vision, and creaky back...
So, I take stuff apart in a pillow case!
Saves me from having to find springs, or worse, order new stuff...

Anyway, hope everything is great with you, both of you!
Randy

Oh gotcha, there's a couple of water jet and CNC subforums in the hosted maker section that might be worth a try. If you can find an alternative way to get the compensator off, you can always send it to me and I can try to fit up a wrench that would work.

acb.jpg

Oh gotcha, there's a couple of water jet and CNC subforums in the hosted maker section that might be worth a try. If you can find an alternative way to get the compensator off, you can always send it to me and I can try to fit up a wrench that would work.

I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

It looks like it's different from a standard wrench in the pic, doesn't taper down as much.

Mack! A buddy had one of those in .45 Win Mag and I think they are the same? Its been 20 plus years,:confused: Can you call Lar Grizzly on Monday and ask them?
Shel is being generous or you can get a Nylon one from Brownells! Far less than a set up charge for a one of charge by water jet.

Back