• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

The famous Chris Williams is back at it with folders now

As I was scrolling Instagram today I came across Chris Williams who many of us remember from the previous 14 page thread about makers claiming to produce handmade knives when it isn't true. Basically he seemed to be putting handles on kit blades and claiming full handmade, called himself a master bladesmith, etc. Not to stir the pot but just wanted to update that he now appears to be at it with folders. The knives which are listed at $150 appear to be rebadged Ganzo knives. One being the Ganzo 704 which we all know Ganzo's blatant ripoff of the Benchmade Snody 14200. He goes as far to say on his website that he has spent 3 years designing and building prototypes for these folders. It's funny because the old thread still pops up immediately after his website when searching his name or company.

This is just my opinion and observations, however it looks to me that it is misleading at best. While the design may be tough to deal with, the Axis Lock is a Benchmade feature that i assume would need to be licensed from them.

Last edited:
wonder if benchmade okayed these since it appears they are using the axis lock and it's still under benchmades patent or whatnot, i believe?

edit part...forgot this fellow likes to sue and threaten to sue...so im sticking to facts, honest questions, and treading lightly this time around.

Last edited:
Surely ... surely, this dude would not be so blatantly fraudulent as to operate a U.S.-based company that rips off Benchmade? I mean, I can understand some Chinese knifemaker not fearing a U.S. company's lawyers but this guy must. Right?

To people who want to see what's being discussed, google "Williams Knife Co." (their instagram can be found the same way). The knives are clearly Ganzos, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. If you look up the Ganzo G704, you'll see that all of them (or all that I could find) have lefty-carry tip-up clip holes drilled, while the Williams versions don't. Do you think they're buying them direct from Ganzo with special order requests, like no logos and no lefty clip holes? That would make sense to me.

To people who want to see what's being discussed, google "Williams Knife Co." (their instagram can be found the same way). The knives are clearly Ganzos, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. If you look up the Ganzo G704, you'll see that all of them (or all that I could find) have lefty-carry tip-up clip holes drilled, while the Williams versions don't. Do you think they're buying them direct from Ganzo with special order requests, like no logos and no lefty clip holes? That would make sense to me.

That is what I believe. He probably bought a large lot of them.

Certainly seems possible.

Chris should make a knife called the "Report Post Button" as a signature model.

You hear that Chris; I"m givin' ya this free of charge! Don't even want a knife as contra for my great idea.

Chris should make a knife called the "Report Post Button" as a signature model.

You hear that Chris; I"m givin' ya this free of charge! Don't even want a knife as contra for my great idea.

I could make a joke here about how he would actually have to make a knife or something of that sort but out of fear of litigation I won't.

Last edited:
He is having them made without the 3 pocket clip holes.

Wow. I wonder if Benchmade gave him permission to use their axis lock? I know that it is hard for Benchmade/Snody to go after Ganzo. Hopefully they can go after this scumbag.

Note that his logo is a fishbone skeleton, an item often featured in cartoon drawings to represent garbage. I think the logo is an excellent choice.

Back