The First Annual Fiddleback Forge Users Weekend Gathering

Mistwalker

Gold Member
It has taken a lot longer to write this up than I meant for it to. It happened in May after Lisa and I deciding to get divorced in February and me starting a new life, moving to a place with crappy internet in April for a while, starting a new Job in May, and then stress fracturing my ankle the second week of June which has complicated exactly everything about my life...and since then i have slowly been trying to figure out the new platform here lol.

This post goes back to the 5th of May, when several of us from Blade Forums gathered in Hiwassee Georgia for the First annual Fiddleback Users Weekend. Kevin Estella was there to give instruction in various bushcraft techniques, and there was discussion on pretty much every knife, bushcraft, and survival related subject anyone can imagine, from cutting techniques to knot tying and rigging, and on to shelter building and trap making. Then there more discssuion on many other subjetcs as well, and a lot of hanging out around the fire talking in the evenings. It was a great adventure for the whole family, and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Here are a few of the photos I took.

DSC_2884.jpg

DSC_2887.jpg

DSC_2889.jpg

DSC_2891.jpg

DSC_2893.jpg

DSC_2936.jpg

20170506_143718.jpg

20170506_143727.jpg

20170506_150450.jpg

DSC_3065.jpg

DSC_3055.jpg

DSC_2957.jpg

DSC_2933.jpg

DSC_3066.jpg

DSC_3080.jpg

DSC_3120.jpg

DSC_3123.jpg

DSC_3126.jpg

DSC_3133.jpg

DSC_3151.jpg

End part 1

It looks like that was a fun event with some useful skills learned along the way. Besides the K.E. Bushie that Kevin used for obvious reasons, what were the most popular knives used and did anyone change their knife preference as a result of the training?

Thanks for sharing the photos. It is nice to see you back my friend. Be well in this year of transition.

Phil

It looks like that was a fun event with some useful skills learned along the way. Besides the K.E. Bushie that Kevin used for obvious reasons, what were the most popular knives used and did anyone change their knife preference as a result of the training?

Thanks for sharing the photos. It is nice to see you back my friend. Be well in this year of transition.

Phil

Thank you Phil. It is certainly being a year of major transitions for me, luckily mostly very good ones. I have so far lost almost 70 pounds and I have been cigarette free for almost 6 months, and nicotine free for about two months now...even with the charting new territories of clothes shopping with my pre-teen daughter and entering areas of that which are not exactly in my comfort zone. But she and I are a team, and it all just comes with the territory, so we are muddling our way through it. I hope things have settled enough now that I can be back here more often now.

There were really a lot of knives being used. I'm not sure about any changes others may have gone through. I learned a lot more about how much I like the FF Patch Knife blade profile and that model in use, and I learned that I am a lot more comfortable with my Esquire in the bushcraft role than I would have expected.

Thanks for posting these! It's cool to relive some of the memories from that trip.

In response to Phil, I mainly used my Bushfinger 1/8 and Ladyfinger 3/32, both convex, but I also got to try out a scandi KE Bushie and Hiking Buddy. From that experience I solidified my preference for thin steels, as well as smaller knives overall. So much so that I'm selling my Bushfinger because I don't reach for it nearly as much as the Ladyfinger. I think the Lady is the largest knife that I'll use consistently. The scandi vs convex was interesting. Scandi is obviouly better at wood working, but I prefer the convex for pretty much everything else.

Kevin Estella was definitely the star. It looks like you had a really good time. Didn't know anything about this happening.

Sorry to hear about the marital change in your life. It is a big change and it forces other changes to survive.

I agree with Odaon with regards to scandi vs convex and knife steel, although I still like my Bush Hermit as my go to outdoors knife. The scandi grind is a wonderful wood working tool and I'll always keep one in the pack for carving while sitting by the fire, but for any real work I've come to prefer a nice convex blade that is 1/8. Below are my thoughts on the knives I used that weekend, which may be of some assistance for anyone considering a new bushcrafting knife.
I'm a solid medium glove with my hand being 18 cm from the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger and 9 cm across the widest part of my palm. So here is what I used.

FF Small Machete - We used this knife to harvest all of the bamboo for the weekend in combination with a Laplander and Gomboy 240. The machete is absolutely devastating in limbing and would slice through stalks 2" or less in diameter with a wall thickness of approximately 1/8". The machete is such a powerful all around tool you could get away with carrying it by itself in most situations with some experience working with it.

FF Shaman 3/32 - This was a knife I wanted the first time I saw the profile and as soon as I saw the handle material I liked I jumped on it. In comparison to any other Fiddleback, the Shaman's blocky appearance sets it apart and tends to visually give the look of utility. Well, I can tell you first hand this knife is the world's finest "utility" box cutting tool you could ever own. In 3/32 it is very "slicey" and the upsweep towards the tip accentuates the slicing ability. the commando, more blocky handle of the knife is very neutral in hand and amazingly comfortable in any grip you can put it in. this feature of the knife makes it great for all of the everyday tasks such as package opening, cutting rope and line, trimming materials and food prep. It's size IMO is also small enough for EDC and large enough for bigger tasks as well. the Shaman is not a tweener knife. the slim profile of the blade and handles allow the knife to slip into the pocket and carry much like a Runt or Esquire. I fashioned a pocket sheath with no loop or other attachment point and its great for carry in either the front or back pocket. With its price point at around $200 there is no reason why any Fiddleback collector should not have at least one in rotation and use the hell out of it.

FF Bush Hermit 1/8 - My all time favorite Fiddleback visually and to use. Everything about the BH is made for optimal performance. It is the Ford GT of the FF lineup. for my hands, the slightly taller profile of the BH over the Bushfinger gives the knife a wholly different feel and by going taller and not so much wider it provides for me added control and comfort, especially with use over a long period of time. the size is also perfect for heavier bushcrafting tasks and the fine tip of the blade is excellent for fine work and drilling, which requires optimal control. Where the BH really showed out was when we were making try sticks. I used all of the knives during this lesson and it felt more comfortable with more control over any other option. I could continue to go on and on about this knife, but if you are an outdoors person you absolutely need this knife.

FF Leuku 1/8 - If you are a fan of the Patch/Recluse/Leuku line you will really like this knife. Not produced in the same volume as the other two in the line, the Leuku is a very capable outdoors knife. Before I held this knife in my hand it was always my perception that the Leuku was more on par with either the Duke or Woodsman in size and weight, however, it is considerably less on both accounts. The simple elegance of the Leuku is very eye catching and once you have a chance to try one out and see it is likely smaller than you thought and you will realize how nimble and versatile it is at a number of tasks. I particularly like the blade to handle ratio of this knife.

Old Skool Muk 1/8 - My favorite pattern group of all Fiddlebacks is the Muks and this one just may be at the top of the list. the leaf shaped blade and sinuous curve along the back of the spine are both extraordinarily comfortable and pleasing to the eye. In hammer grip my thumb slides right up the back of the handle and settles delightfully into what I would call the "small of the back" of the blade where it allows for complete control. The tip of this knife is also perfectly aligned with the center line of the knife, which is something often overlooked or not mentioned nearly enough when people review knives and what makes them a good user in may instances. Not many better companions than a good Muk for a day in the woods.

Bush Crafter JR 1/8 - EDC excellence. this knife handles all the tasks of the bigger knives and crushes the tasks set before it that are typically designated for smaller blades. Amazing ergos, and a great belly are the hallmarks of this knife. I absolutely love it and will most often carry it whenever I can size up from either a Runt or Esquire. I especially like the BC JR for prepping materials and general EDC tasks. Definitely a top choice if you needed a knife to do both big and small tasks, but the element of concealment or overbearing laws force your hand in the amount of blade you can carry.

Now if any of you have looked into any of my older posts regarding the topic of "if you could have only one knife or tool what would it be", I still am of the opinion that I would have a 5/32 Duke or Woodsman on my person. However, with my kit I carry a Liam Hoffman bearded belt axe, a Silky Gomboy 240 and a Fiddleback. The first two stay consistent while the Fiddleback changes based on what I'm doing on that particular outing or believe it or not my mood. Any and all of these knives are more than capable either stand alone or paired up in a trio with other complimenting tools. I would also like to say that there are a number of other patterns (Asp comes immediately to mind) that has all the qualities of a great Fiddleback, but I did not happen to use either this past weekend or extensively on my own time. Guess that just means I need to spend more time outdoors and acquire a few new Fiddlebacks!!!

Phil

I saw a wide range. Multiple production knives too. I don't think anyone changed their knife, but I do think some folks got an eye opener on Scandi knives. Kevin had one there, and it was very easy to carve the try stick w the Scandi.

It was a fantastic weekend. I used and learned most of these skills for the first time (correctly), with Kevin E herding us together and SG making sure everything went smoothly. Kevin's approachable teaching style, sense of humor, and stories told along with the weekend stories experienced all come back with each perusing of the pictures. Really looking forward to the next event and hopefully we can spend more time with Kevin in the process. My selection of FF Knives (Production Duke and Kephart) were used interchangeably and I was able to try many others Andy and Team brought which was very cool as well.

Thanks for posting these! It's cool to relive some of the memories from that trip.

In response to Phil, I mainly used my Bushfinger 1/8 and Ladyfinger 3/32, both convex, but I also got to try out a scandi KE Bushie and Hiking Buddy. From that experience I solidified my preference for thin steels, as well as smaller knives overall. So much so that I'm selling my Bushfinger because I don't reach for it nearly as much as the Ladyfinger. I think the Lady is the largest knife that I'll use consistently. The scandi vs convex was interesting. Scandi is obviouly better at wood working, but I prefer the convex for pretty much everything else.

Thanks for chiming in with your experience Odoan. My first Fiddleback was a Bushfinger I received in a trade fours years ago. It was my introduction into nicer handmade knives. It was an old school full tang knife made before Andy started skeletonizing the tangs. As such, it felt heavier than I liked, so I let it go. I tried three more over time before deciding other Fiddleback models are better suited for my uses. Like you, I have a guardless 3/32" Ladyfinger that works well for me. I find that thinner steel (i.e. 3/32") with a convex grind is a stellar performer across a range of tasks.

I agree with Odaon with regards to scandi vs convex and knife steel, although I still like my Bush Hermit as my go to outdoors knife. The scandi grind is a wonderful wood working tool and I'll always keep one in the pack for carving while sitting by the fire, but for any real work I've come to prefer a nice convex blade that is 1/8. Below are my thoughts on the knives I used that weekend, which may be of some assistance for anyone considering a new bushcrafting knife.
I'm a solid medium glove with my hand being 18 cm from the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger and 9 cm across the widest part of my palm. So here is what I used.

FF Small Machete - We used this knife to harvest all of the bamboo for the weekend in combination with a Laplander and Gomboy 240. The machete is absolutely devastating in limbing and would slice through stalks 2" or less in diameter with a wall thickness of approximately 1/8". The machete is such a powerful all around tool you could get away with carrying it by itself in most situations with some experience working with it.

FF Shaman 3/32 - This was a knife I wanted the first time I saw the profile and as soon as I saw the handle material I liked I jumped on it. In comparison to any other Fiddleback, the Shaman's blocky appearance sets it apart and tends to visually give the look of utility. Well, I can tell you first hand this knife is the world's finest "utility" box cutting tool you could ever own. In 3/32 it is very "slicey" and the upsweep towards the tip accentuates the slicing ability. the commando, more blocky handle of the knife is very neutral in hand and amazingly comfortable in any grip you can put it in. this feature of the knife makes it great for all of the everyday tasks such as package opening, cutting rope and line, trimming materials and food prep. It's size IMO is also small enough for EDC and large enough for bigger tasks as well. the Shaman is not a tweener knife. the slim profile of the blade and handles allow the knife to slip into the pocket and carry much like a Runt or Esquire. I fashioned a pocket sheath with no loop or other attachment point and its great for carry in either the front or back pocket. With its price point at around $200 there is no reason why any Fiddleback collector should not have at least one in rotation and use the hell out of it.

FF Bush Hermit 1/8 - My all time favorite Fiddleback visually and to use. Everything about the BH is made for optimal performance. It is the Ford GT of the FF lineup. for my hands, the slightly taller profile of the BH over the Bushfinger gives the knife a wholly different feel and by going taller and not so much wider it provides for me added control and comfort, especially with use over a long period of time. the size is also perfect for heavier bushcrafting tasks and the fine tip of the blade is excellent for fine work and drilling, which requires optimal control. Where the BH really showed out was when we were making try sticks. I used all of the knives during this lesson and it felt more comfortable with more control over any other option. I could continue to go on and on about this knife, but if you are an outdoors person you absolutely need this knife.

FF Leuku 1/8 - If you are a fan of the Patch/Recluse/Leuku line you will really like this knife. Not produced in the same volume as the other two in the line, the Leuku is a very capable outdoors knife. Before I held this knife in my hand it was always my perception that the Leuku was more on par with either the Duke or Woodsman in size and weight, however, it is considerably less on both accounts. The simple elegance of the Leuku is very eye catching and once you have a chance to try one out and see it is likely smaller than you thought and you will realize how nimble and versatile it is at a number of tasks. I particularly like the blade to handle ratio of this knife.

Old Skool Muk 1/8 - My favorite pattern group of all Fiddlebacks is the Muks and this one just may be at the top of the list. the leaf shaped blade and sinuous curve along the back of the spine are both extraordinarily comfortable and pleasing to the eye. In hammer grip my thumb slides right up the back of the handle and settles delightfully into what I would call the "small of the back" of the blade where it allows for complete control. The tip of this knife is also perfectly aligned with the center line of the knife, which is something often overlooked or not mentioned nearly enough when people review knives and what makes them a good user in may instances. Not many better companions than a good Muk for a day in the woods.

Bush Crafter JR 1/8 - EDC excellence. this knife handles all the tasks of the bigger knives and crushes the tasks set before it that are typically designated for smaller blades. Amazing ergos, and a great belly are the hallmarks of this knife. I absolutely love it and will most often carry it whenever I can size up from either a Runt or Esquire. I especially like the BC JR for prepping materials and general EDC tasks. Definitely a top choice if you needed a knife to do both big and small tasks, but the element of concealment or overbearing laws force your hand in the amount of blade you can carry.

Now if any of you have looked into any of my older posts regarding the topic of "if you could have only one knife or tool what would it be", I still am of the opinion that I would have a 5/32 Duke or Woodsman on my person. However, with my kit I carry a Liam Hoffman bearded belt axe, a Silky Gomboy 240 and a Fiddleback. The first two stay consistent while the Fiddleback changes based on what I'm doing on that particular outing or believe it or not my mood. Any and all of these knives are more than capable either stand alone or paired up in a trio with other complimenting tools. I would also like to say that there are a number of other patterns (Asp comes immediately to mind) that has all the qualities of a great Fiddleback, but I did not happen to use either this past weekend or extensively on my own time. Guess that just means I need to spend more time outdoors and acquire a few new Fiddlebacks!!!

Wow Justen! Thanks for such a detailed response. I was hoping that someone would post something that would cause me to challenge one of my paradigms or reconsider a personal bias. You did that with your assessment of the 3/32" Shaman. I'll admit that I never considered that model before because of the blocky utility look. It definitely lacks the sensuous feminine curves that I have come to associate with Andy's designs. Engineers say "form follows function." I'll keep an open mind when the the right 3/32" Shaman comes up based on your high regard for its function. Just for reference, what are the dimensions on the Shaman?

I also want to say that I totally agree with your opinion of the Bush Hermit. It is by far my favorite Fiddleback in recent years. The taller elliptical handle provides a very secure, yet comfortable, feel in many grip positions. I feel like I have better torquing power and control with taller handles like the Bush Hermit.

It was a fantastic weekend. I used and learned most of these skills for the first time (correctly), with Kevin E herding us together and SG making sure everything went smoothly. Kevin's approachable teaching style, sense of humor, and stories told along with the weekend stories experienced all come back with each perusing of the pictures. Really looking forward to the next event and hopefully we can spend more time with Kevin in the process. My selection of FF Knives (Production Duke and Kephart) were used interchangeably and I was able to try many others Andy and Team brought which was very cool as well.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed this experience on many levels. Nice choices on the knives you brought (i.e.the Production Duke and Kephart.) Those two models cover everything you needed to do that weekend and then some.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all of you for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Phil

Quite a nice write up. Thank you for this . It is fun and educational to share these experiences one way or the other.

It's good to see you again Mistwalker! That certainly looked like a great time was being had by all. Excellent job on the photos, good to know you have not forgotten how to use a camera. ;)

That has to be one of the most thoughtful, balanced, insightful reviews I have had the pleasure to read; Nicely Done...!

Sorry to hear about your divorce my friend

I've been there all I can tell you is it will get better but not fast enough it will seem

Thanks for sharing this and I wish you and your daughter much happiness in the future

That has to be one of the most thoughtful, balanced, insightful reviews I have had the pleasure to read; Nicely Done...!

Thanks man, glad you've enjoyed the post :)

Sorry to hear about your divorce my friend

I've been there all I can tell you is it will get better but not fast enough it will seem

Thanks for sharing this and I wish you and your daughter much happiness in the future

Meh, it is what it is Bill. I think it could have been handled better, and I still think it should have been handled sooner like when I suggested it a couple of years ago. But it's not like we're enemies. We still talk regularly, and on a friendly basis. So from what I've seen of divorces it could be much worse.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post man, Alayna and I have been on many adventures over the summer and I have many more planned for our lives :)

Quite a nice write up. Thank you for this . It is fun and educational to share these experiences one way or the other.

Thanks, yes the fellowship with like-minded friends is always the best part :)

It's good to see you again Mistwalker! That certainly looked like a great time was being had by all. Excellent job on the photos, good to know you have not forgotten how to use a camera. ;)

Life has been complex man, glad to be seen again :)

I agree with Odaon with regards to scandi vs convex and knife steel, although I still like my Bush Hermit as my go to outdoors knife. The scandi grind is a wonderful wood working tool and I'll always keep one in the pack for carving while sitting by the fire, but for any real work I've come to prefer a nice convex blade that is 1/8. Below are my thoughts on the knives I used that weekend, which may be of some assistance for anyone considering a new bushcrafting knife......

Thanks Justen, this is just what I was hoping for when I asked for help brother :)

Thank you Phil. It is certainly being a year of major transitions for me, luckily mostly very good ones. I have so far lost almost 70 pounds and I have been cigarette free for almost 6 months, and nicotine free for about two months now...
even with the charting new territories of clothes shopping with my pre-teen daughter and entering areas of that which are not exactly in my comfort zone. But she and I are a team, and it all just comes with the territory, so we are muddling our way through it. I hope things have settled enough now that I can be back here more often now.
Sound like you are doing well grappling with change and changing from the inside
Divorced with four girls
It enabled me to create relationships with them I could not even dream about while married
The both of you will define who you are
Enjoy the clothes shopping it can be great great fun

Back