The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

there are some awesome blades right now. There's a sweet Bushboot that will not last

So bummed that I missed the 3/32" PK! Probably for the better that I wait a bit before buying another knife...

Links to sales threads out there right now ...

Fiddleback Forge Patch

Fiddleback Forge Shank

Fiddleback Forge Bushnub II

WA Surls Kanati, WA Surls Palmer, WA Surls Inlander

WA Surls Harpoon

Osprey K/T Razorback, Osprey K/T Shrike

Osprey K/T Trailhand

Diomedes APS Baron Sheaths

20170419Sales-vi.jpg

BaronSheathssm-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick post to thank those of you who have left your prices on posts after you have sold your knives and I encourage others that haven't to do so. I think it makes a good resource for folks who are looking to buy or for those who are selling their knives to help them come up with reasonable prices for their hopeful transactions.

I really do appreciate your thoughts/comment/opinion on this topic. And I'd typically be looking for the same info on past threads when considering putting up production knives for sale. However, I'd have to throw out these considerations on customs, esp. when it comes to Fiddlebacks and the Flea Market ..

You'll sometimes see knives blown out at ridiculously low prices in the Flea Market and that skews pricing/perception and some feel it could hurt the maker. Then in turn, those low prices hurt other regular buyers who bought a brand new knife, only handled it (no use) only to find it doesn't agree with their hand. And you'll have potential new buyers possibly turned off at "buying to try" because they don't want to risk the loss in case something doesn't agree with them. Looking for past prices, we all might end up expecting folks to take a $100 loss just to handle a knife. Personally, I don't think they should drop value similar to a brand new car driven off the lot.

I say this half-jokingly / semi-seriously as I mentioned it to Phillip and Allen this past weekend at the Dallas knife show: If I do the hard work sharking a knife for $330 and 4 others wanted it, why shouldn't I be able to add a sharking fee and sell it for $360? That being said, I'd never sleep well at night doing something like that. My bottom line thought is that these knives are friggen outstanding and how they are often de-valued in the Flea Market is a shame.

You could always go through the Friday Sales to look for good prices. :D

I really do appreciate your thoughts/comment/opinion on this topic. And I'd typically be looking for the same info on past threads when considering putting up production knives for sale. However, I'd have to throw out these considerations on customs, esp. when it comes to Fiddlebacks and the Flea Market ..

You'll sometimes see knives blown out at ridiculously low prices in the Flea Market and that skews pricing/perception and some feel it could hurt the maker. Then in turn, those low prices hurt other regular buyers who bought a brand new knife, only handled it (no use) only to find it doesn't agree with their hand. And you'll have potential new buyers possibly turned off at "buying to try" because they don't want to risk the loss in case something doesn't agree with them. Looking for past prices, we all might end up expecting folks to take a $100 loss just to handle a knife. Personally, I don't think they should drop value similar to a brand new car driven off the lot.

I say this half-jokingly / semi-seriously as I mentioned it to Phillip and Allen this past weekend at the Dallas knife show: If I do the hard work sharking a knife for $330 and 4 others wanted it, why shouldn't I be able to add a sharking fee and sell it for $360? That being said, I'd never sleep well at night doing something like that. My bottom line thought is that these knives are friggen outstanding and how they are often de-valued in the Flea Market is a shame.

I agree 100%

I agree as well with your post Jerry. For me it's a double whammy in the form of shipping to and from Australia.

Jerry,
This is in part why I've stopped posting knives in the flea market. I've got quite a few I'd like to sell but none of them will move. And I'm not willing to drop my prices any further. I've got knives that I paid full price for that I've dropped 30 or $40 to reflect the use or scratches they have on them but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. If they're not going to sell within 50 bucks of what I bought them for then I would just rather they stay here and collect dust. Or I'll donate them to a good cause. But I'm not going to undercut the maker, or dump my knives on the market at an unrealistic loss.

For what its worth I appreciate aztecs post for the simple reason that what Jerry spoke to and others including Tony was well overdue! Well said Jerry and Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The free market debate stands the test of time. I'm just happy to be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry,
This is in part why I've stopped posting knives in the flea market. I've got quite a few I'd like to sell but none of them will move. And I'm not willing to drop my prices any further. I've got knives that I paid full price for that I've dropped 30 or $40 to reflect the use or scratches they have on them but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. If they're not going to sell within 50 bucks of what I bought them for then I would just rather they stay here and collect dust. Or I'll donate them to a good cause. But I'm not going to undercut the maker, or dump my knives on the market at an unrealistic loss.

Good point. If Im communicating with a member and make him a deal or he makes me a deal, no sense in advertising it.

This is a wild stab in the dark...

Are any of you guys interested in trading your audio equipment for my Fiddlebacks? I have several nice and most are unused Fiddlebacks. Looking for tube stuff possibly nice bookshelf speakers. If interested, I would specify Fiddleback models and provide pics. I would add money to trade items depending on audio stuff offered.

Can't hurt to ask.

I want the ironwood Lonestar but need to sell mine. I just like the darker woods.

Back