The Frugal Leather Craftsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherman

leathermoderator
Putting a feeler out there. Would any of our beginning and non professional leather crafters out there be interested in a series of threads and or tutorials based on a more cost efficient method?

What I mean here is no high end tools, no expensive machines, and basic technique.

Its something I've always done, and been dealt some grief over. But I firmly believe and have shown possible. A person does not have to invest a huge amount of money to put out a quality product.

Yea, bring on the abuse. :p I'm back to basics after years of trying to do it the "easy" way. Easy meaning expensive.

Anyone interested? If not I will drop it and move on in my caveman way and be very content.

Thanks everyone.

I'm always open to new ways, new ideas and cost effective methods and as you said, putting out a quality product.One thing I believe in, is never turn down an opportunity to learn. Bring it on, and if can pitch in I would be happy to.
John S.

Are you talking about working a project to get similar results using commonly available tools?
My first edger I made out of an old screwdriver.

I made my first makers mark by grinding a piece of stainless into the shape of the Omega symbol.

I made a skiver out of a double edge razor and some other stuff I had laying around.

That kinda stuff?

In any case, you won't catch flak from me. Being new to the hobby is hard because you don't know for sure if you'll enjoy it. Making a big investment isn't the answer and I think it can contribute to frustration if you don't know how to use pro quality tools.

The way I did it was to do the best I could with what I had, replacing the most necessary tools as I found the need for better stuff.

If you can't tell, I'm all for it. I'll contribute if I can. :)

Simplicity is the essence of Style .

I would love to see some more tutorial threads of any kind to be honest , but some specifically aimed at clean simple starter sheaths would be an absolute winner in my opinion .
My sheath making interest is aimed at bare bones simple working folder sheaths , I'm continually trying to simplify my work instead of complicating it and as a result I have received numerous personal messages from people wanting to make their first sheaths . Often those people mention that they don't really want to openly ask on the forum because of a fear of appearing stupid when they don't understand something .
I help where I can , but because I don't do fixed blades my ability to help is limited .
A while ago I started a thread about how simple can you get http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1238260-How-Simple-Can-You-Get?highlight=How+simple and I received a lot of feedback from it via PM's .
I definitely think your idea is a winner .

Ken

I'm subscribed. I'd like information mostly on MATERIALS AND TOOLS. what types of leather to use, explanations of the differences, and also pros and cons of those differences when making sheaths.

Hardware would be another great topic. How to attach button snaps, carry options to your rigs, etc.

I'm in.

Outstanding!!!

I'll get my thoughts together and get some info on here asap.

I'm also thinking of making each section a different thread so watch out for those as well. All will be titled "The Frugal Leather Craftsman" then the subject. Would make it easier to search later on eh?

I think it would be really interesting to see two sheaths of the same design made for the same knife .
One using all the mechanical tools and gadgets available and one with just the absolute basic tool kit .
It would be interesting to compare the two and see if there is a vast difference in the finished product , I have a sneaky suspicion that there wouldn't be .
Thanks for coming up with this , and making it happen .

Ken

+1 from me! i know i am using my kiridashi as a skiver or a simple double edged razor blade... actually only cut myself once so far :D

Dwayne, you've just pretty much described my life so far and I just turned 60. I'm excited. I had a friend give me a 4" fixed blade for my birthday. The knife is nice. The sheath is not so nice. Kinda plasticky material with a belt loop that is riveted on. I wouldn't trust it after the first step in the woods. Please...bring it on.

I'll be taking some pictures and getting my info together for the first installment: Very Basic Tools

Next: Very Basic Pattern Making

I think I'll start a new thread for these two and leave this thread for questions, answers, and suggestions. Sound good?

We can put links to each tutorial thread at the top of this one.

I'm in. Thanks for doing this. I've been thinking about making some sheaths, this will help a lot. Thank you.

Gathering my list of things I've worked with today as I've begun my next project. The basic tools required list is getting a little large as I just cant imagine doing without them is some cases, but they are not required. And the list of alternative ideas is growing as i think it over. Its nice to be able to work and think this over at the same time.

Would be nice, and I fully encourage any professionals to chime in where they see fit. I do though remind anyone that I am working with bare bones basic stuff here, locally available in most cases, and in even more cases available out of the kitchen or garage. I'm not looking at top of the line materials or tools.

Let'r rip tater chip!

:D :D :D

I'm looking forward to this.
Mother said "We're not cheap. We are frugal."
;)

Definitely a great idea. Some really nice work can be had from basic tools and patience. Wish ya did this sooner. Looking forward to it
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back