The General

. . . from Robert Young Pelton:
“Back when I was cutting down trees, I remember one day I was admiring this 60- to 80-foot fir, and I made the mistake of not putting enough angle on the first cut,” Pelton says, of his time as a lumberjack. “I got halfway into this tree and it just sat down on my chainsaw. This was in the Yukon, so I couldn’t just call somebody if I screwed up. Here I was, about four miles from camp, with this tree sitting on my chainsaw, and I had to figure out a way to get it off. Well, I had an old Buck General on me, so I cut down the whole tree using that knife and a baton. It took me all day.”
https://www.outsideonline.com/21466...ignmonitor outsidemagazine&utm_term=READ MORE

lol, nice.:thumbsup:

Batoning should be used when you have no axe. Thats for sure. Although it is effective making firewood from previously cut logs. Kindling etc.

Last edited:
I'm confident the early 120's could handle some malleting. It would be a good choice for a survival knife. DM

If any knife could handle that, it would be the 120. What a great knife. My father gave me one a long time ago and I still treasure it.

The 120 was the Buck old guys production "pig sticker", also big in VN. It was about a big a belt knife guys would carry. I had one and eventually my nephew talked me out of it. The 119 would function as my big knife after that. I am sure the 120 would serve me well were I to fight zombies or grizzly bears, a sword guard grip would be best. I met a guy who killed a Brown bear with a 110 and had the scars to prove it.

I looked at the big knife world with a sort of flow chart eye. At the top was your pocket knife, you always had one of those. Always.
Then came a belt folder for deer hunting, which could get you by at least for gutting and small limb trimming, or emergency stuff when you weren't just hunting. Sort of a pocket knife big brother, in some circles these were a status symbol.
Then came a fixed blade knife, if you were lucky to get a deer or especially a bigger eatable. Usually carried a 105 or a 103 to skin with and cut up quarters. Maybe, if in Rockies or wild hog country, might strap on my 119. Next in the flow chart would be a hatchet in the pack. It could be small, but had to have some head thickness. I never learned to love the Buck hatchets. The one that was solid steel with leather handle was good, now I have a wooden handled Swedish one. Then came a 3/4 axe in the truck. Also carried a folding saw in the pack, it cut firewood and leg bones better than axe or hatchet.

I have noticed some like a one item do-all and enjoy cutting firewood with their knife or froe. I will not be critical but will sit close to the campfire and watch. Only saying "I would wear a glove." 300

Last edited:
If the tree sat down on his saw, he was trying to drop it in the wrong direction. On top of that most cutters I worked with carried a couple of wedges and something to pound them in with, usually a hatchet.

No 120 for me today. I took a chainsaw. I'm starting to realize that even though the spirit is willing, the body is starting to lag a little. I got three standing dead down, limbed, bucked, hauled and stacked and that was enough for one day.

Bert

Fink, glad you've read him too.
pope, your right. I cut 3 cords a year and have for the last 25 years. That's how we heat our home. I carry wedges and a axe capable of driving them. Do I always take the time to drive them in as I'm cutting? Not always. I've been stuck a time or so. I also carry rope, in a pinch you can make a come-a-long with rope. Which will pull a tree enough to free the chain saw. Just a change of wind direction can pinch a saw. I like the 120 for breaking quarters. DM

Now I might have to do some reading to see. I only heard of the DPx line when it was first introduced through the ESEE forum.Dont know anything about the guy.

To keep my post along the lines of the thread. While I wouldn't have an issue doing light batoning with an older 120 I'm not sure I would want to with a newer one. Not that there is anything wrong with the newer ones. I just don't think the hollow grind is best for that. That froe looks nice. I haven't seen one in person but take it that it doesn't have a hollow grind does it?

I do sometimes do light batoning (with non-Buck knives) while camping just to make kindling but have a maul for bigger stuff.

I'm out of my depth here but as far as busting up a Griptillian by hitting it / kicking it with his heal :
Anyone have one break in actual use ?
and
yes I can damage an air plane by kicking it . . . but . . . I still like airplanes.

Back