The Grand Unified Grit Chart

This is one of the great things about BF. The collaboration and sharing of knowledge between folks from all over. Thanks Komitadjie for putting this together and sharing. Clay thanks for sharing your expertise. And finally, thanks to Esav for making this a sticky.

Haven't heard anything back from Ben as yet, but one of the guys on another forum helpfully pointed out that I was short a tad bit of the high end on the CAMI system. Chart's been updated to reflect the extra three grits!

gritchart8711.png

Indeed! Feel free to copy my chart into there if you want, that's the REST of what makes a sharpening abrasive what it is. Size is just that, it doesn't actually describe HOW something sharpens. This chart is only for general reference comparison, it doesn't necessarily mean that one stone with a 3 micron grit is going to polish better than another with a 5-micron grit and a totally different set of parameters.

That's a good writeup, incidentally.

A little correction to the DMT,

3 micron diapaste is yellow and 1 micron paste is white/gray

Good work :thumbup:

What a wonderful resource! I'll be sure to visit this often, I assure you. Great work, and many thanks!!

Another minor update, the EP site posted the grit sizes for the abrasive tapes, so I've updated their position on the chart and changed them from approximations to known values. The new values raise some questions about the grits of the stones shown for the EP, I am attempting to gather more information. So far my inquiries to Ben Dale for the grit sizes of the stock stones and diamond plates have gone unanswered. I also added the approximate values for the Bark River stropping compounds, based on discussions in the Bark River thread on Knifefoums.

gritchartrevc.png

Full View: HERE

Thanks for all the effort you are doing with this. Been really helpful!

The edge pro stones are made by Boride Abrasives (AS-9, AM-K, CS-HD, according to a Boride manager) and use FEPA standard. DMTs and Norton are graded by mesh. You could throw in micro-mesh as well if you feel like it. How accurate are the Chosera numbers, Naniwa would not tell me the average micron size for their 10 and 12K powders. The Spyderco ceramics do not vary in micron size, it is the firing and surface finish that changes the abrasive nature.

Very nice chart. Edge Pro now has a 1200 grit stone that isn't on their web site yet, or wasn't last time I looked. You have to call them to order it. I don't know if it is available through any of the other re-sellers of EP products.

Jack

There's the 1200, and a defunct 800 that I would like to include as well, along with their two diamond plates, and the diamond tape. I just haven't had any luck getting the actual values from Ben. I might take a shot at emailing Boride directly, that might be a good way to deal with it. I was looking at the FEPA-F standard, but my problem with correlating any of them is that with the EP-supplied value for the tapes, the 1K stone looks finer than the tape?

Possible, it just doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Awesome resource Komitadjie, thank you for using your time and resources to bring us this information. Earlier I was looking everywhere to find the grit / micron size of a few different products. You've saved me alot of time.

You know, I really don't know! I'll have to check on that this evening and perhaps drop them an Email to see if I can find out. I'd like to add them, given how common the system is.

Anybody have any information on that already?

hi!

can you also include where the black, white, green & red polishing compounds fit in? thanks! :)

Back