THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

That is the whole point of having it as a secondary knife... The reason I would make it a dagger is that being narrow and ground on both sides it is lighter per blade inch than any other design ground of the same stock... I would concede a sling bow would be much better and more accurate in the same weight range...

That is also why I chose a non-essential dagger... Also the shape of the dagger would be far more likely to slip out from the weight of the shaft... It seems very unlikely to me that such a shape would hold in the whole weight of the shaft...

Interesting, but it still sounds like a great challenge...

This is where I disagree: A slightly tip heavy spear is a more natural thrower, as the drag of the lighter shaft adds a bit of self-correction in flight (provided the shaft is dry!): This reduces the need for practice. Also there is no comparison in the injury that would be inflicted with a twin sharp edge versus the shallow rapidly healing ragged hole of an improvised point.

While the CS Bushman is more utilitarian and certainly attaches better to a shaft, one of my objections to it is that the broad very thin blade would "catch" the wind and worsen any induced yaw in flight... Also the single edge design is a shape more prone to staying stuck in the animal, and the flat spine might be oriented in a way that minimizes the injury, where the double edge would have broadened the cut from the weight of the shaft...

I think from the minimal chance you might get, you want to hit with the best point possible...

o_O Er...what?

If we are picking to take a bunch of survival gear, choosing an extra expendable knife to lash on a spear and throw at stuff isn't even close to an ideal choice. They make much better devices for such things.

Yes, they are called firearms.

But more effective and practical than attaching a knife to a pole and throwing it. ;)

Firearms have only one problem; They are boring. ;)

Gaston
You would rather have something that does not work and could possibly end up in disaster but is "exciting" than something that does work but you find "boring". Enough said. :thumbsup:

You would rather have something that does not work and could possibly end up in disaster but is "exciting" than something that does work but you find "boring". Enough said. :thumbsup:

I think we just found out that gaston is really bear grylls.. or however you spell it.

Drink some pee next gaston! Its more exciting than drinking plain ol ditchwater..

Also, that 'heavily pitted' blade could be fixed with a rag full of Mother's polish. My 'traditional' carbon steel pocket knives look worse after a day at work in the summer just from my sweat with no 'pitting'. A few hours in the rain wont hurt anything, much less cause it to pit.

You are an interesting creature mr. 444.. At first glance, you could be mistaken for an intelligent and inquisitive human-unit, but 10 minutes of staring reveals much to the contrary.

At least you're contributing.

Keep that 'pitted' knife.. so you dont destroy a nicer one with a stack of diamond stones and a sack full of dumbass.

That is interesting. For big prey I can only imagine that was by standing up in a tree stand... The closest I ever stood to a deer in the wild is 20 feet, and I might be underestimating the distance...

That is the whole point of having it as a secondary knife... The reason I would make it a dagger is that being narrow and ground on both sides it is lighter per blade inch than any other design ground of the same stock... I would concede a sling bow would be much better and more accurate in the same weight range...

That is also why I chose a non-essential dagger... Also the shape of the dagger would be far more likely to slip out from the weight of the shaft... It seems very unlikely to me that such a shape would hold in the whole weight of the shaft...

Interesting, but it still sounds like a great challenge...

This is where I disagree: A slightly tip heavy spear is a more natural thrower, as the drag of the lighter shaft adds a bit of self-correction in flight (provided the shaft is dry!): This reduces the need for practice. Also there is no comparison in the injury that would be inflicted with a twin sharp edge versus the shallow rapidly healing ragged hole of an improvised point.

While the CS Bushman is more utilitarian and certainly attaches better to a shaft, one of my objections to it is that the broad very thin blade would "catch" the wind and worsen any induced yaw in flight... Also the single edge design is a shape more prone to staying stuck in the animal, and the flat spine might be oriented in a way that minimizes the injury, where the double edge would have broadened the cut from the weight of the shaft...

I think from the minimal chance you might get, you want to hit with the best point possible...

Gaston

The closest I ever stood to a live, wild deer is six feet. While bow hunting, he walked right past me, three feet away on a game trail on the way to a watering hole, then stood six feet away drinking water (I was on the ground). There are ways to get very close to big game, for example snare them first. It's not that hard to snare big game. And yes, tree stands. I know a guy who killed a black bear with a spear from a tree stand. The video and others used to be on You Tube. I also know a guy who killed a bear with an axe. The bear was denned. Denning bears goes on all the time up here, check it out. There was a public TV special about it.

I didn't see you mention a secondary knife, you may have. I would carry one large knife, take care of it and make my spears with other things.

It is a challenge, but survival is a challenge, jabbing is way less of a challenge than throwing. These are things I know from first hand knowledge. Either my own experience or from close acquaintances. By the way, early man didn't throw his spears, not at bears, not at mammoths, they jabbed.

A knife tied to a stick is not a slightly heavier tip, it's a grossly overweight tip. I give you javelins for instance, they do not have a heavy tip. Arrows with overweight tips fly horribly. Historically spears were not a throwing weapon, they were meant to be a jabbing weapon.

I can (I have) make a savagely sharp and deadly, double edged, spear tip with a large animal leg bone that would give any knife you want to carry a run for the money.

I think most of what you say is conjecture, I am not sure if you have tested many of the theories you have. I'd love to see you test them and show us the results. Maybe throw one of your spears at a target in the middle of a tire rolling past you.

In reality, much of this talk about big game is purely for academic reasons, in my survival trips I primarily depend on small game and fish for protein, I'm sure this would be true for most anybody in a survival situation.

I love how the guy who caries hollow handled knives "to save space and weight" will carry an extra knife he doesn't mind destroying in case he needs to make a throwing spear.

It's astonishing. Rather than actual survival gear let's pack a dagger to use as a throwing spear!

I have yet to read anything practical, or particularly survivable, from Gaston.

Speaking of practical, how about this CRK Mountaineer with a 4" blade and single guard! I owned one of these about 8 years ago and foolishly sold it thinking that I needed a larger knife. :rolleyes: Great little compact knife to keep the weight down for backpacking, camping, and hiking with plenty of room for an effective, mini survival kit. Only negative? It's lousy at chopping. :D

IMG_0214_zpsntdsgwnd.jpg

IMG_0232_zpsqlnv7abg.jpg

Speaking of practical, how about this CRK Mountaineer with a 4" blade and single guard! I owned one of these about 8 years ago and foolishly sold it thinking that I needed a larger knife. :rolleyes: Great little compact knife to keep the weight down for backpacking, camping, and hiking with plenty of room for an effective, mini survival kit. Only negative? It's lousy at chopping. :D

IMG_0214_zpsntdsgwnd.jpg

IMG_0232_zpsqlnv7abg.jpg
Great blade. I ended up going just a little bigger with the Shadow IV, but would have been just as happy with a Mountaineer.

Reactions: TAH
Thanks g&l. It's hard not to like any of the One-Piece knives. Every model has a useful blade shape. Shadow IV has a nice spear point. :thumbsup:

Thanks g&l. It's hard not to like any of the One-Piece knives. Every model has a useful blade shape. Shadow IV has a nice spear point. :thumbsup:

I noticed the Running River "Survival Bowie" has just been sold again on Mike Welze: Did you re-sell yours?

TB_001.jpg

There was a Jack Crain 8.75" LSS MCS sold recently: The edge geometry on that looks pretty "open" to say the least...

LRG_001.jpg

Gaston

Last edited:
But more effective and practical than attaching a knife to a pole and throwing it. ;)

I beg to differ about the usefulness of guns...: I "use" these knives ("transport" them would be more accurate) for carry while on long ten miles + bike trips inside Provincial parks, sometimes tying up to a tree and walking off trail. I don't really intend to use the knives during these day trips, unless the bike breaks down or I am caught by weather. A Randall Model 14 I carried doing this saved the day and nearly my neck one day when both the weather turned and my bike broke down at the same time, although not in a Provincial park... The Model 14 was too small and devoid of flashlight (which flashlight its sheath now has), but it justified a lifetime of largely useless knife carry by breaking into a shed (which the often touted folding saw/Mora combination could never have done, the saw having no purchase anywhere on a shed)...

The main idea of these knives for me is to be able to make a shelter "in nature" without carrying any bag or tent while cycling. That people think these big knives are uncomfortable to carry concealed merely reflects what Bill Bagwell pointed out thirty years ago: Battle Blades p102: "In most parts of the world, except for the United States and some industrial regions of Europe, the knife is worn inserted through the belt, rather than hanging from it. This keeps it close to the body, and prevents it from swinging and banging the wearer. Americans however like to hang things from their belts... p103 As far as I know, we are the only people in the world who equip a knife sheath with a belt loop that can be as long as the handle of the knife, and then use a thong to tie the sheath to our leg to keep the whole thing from getting in the way and swinging. We are also the only people in the world whose large knives have a tendency to pull their pants down as they walk."

The shoulder harness/inside the belt combination I have found far more comfortable and more concealable than carrying a single large 4.5" folder in a pouch... The idea that a smaller slimmer knife is easier to carry is actually not true at all: My Model 14 is actually too short at 7.4" to be stable inside the pants, and slimmer knives/sheaths also tend to move around. Large pouch folders are usually bulky and terrible to carry, especially compared to the slim 10" Lile...

The shoulder carried dagger is mostly there to carry light items on its sheaths that the main knife might be missing: Even if I were to mount it on a stick for an overnight stay, throwing is probably secondary to fending off an overly friendly black bear, which are common in these areas (unlikely in any case)...

As to the notion of carrying a handgun for a day bike trip, I fail to see how that could be comfortable (or of much use), but hey, if your fantasy involves getting into gunfights with bears or squirrels, do indulge in them! I have owned handguns before laws became tighter and all my local gun shops disappeared back in the early 90s (like closing bookstores later on, a sure sign progress is marching on!), and I don't quite see how an ATT (Authorisation To Transport) for restricted firearms would apply to day bike trips... One can only hope the absurdity lugging around a gun was not intended to mean slinging on a rifle during a Provincial park bike trip...

Gaston

I have owned handguns before laws became tighter and all my local gun shops disappeared back in the early 90s
Gaston

I'm calling BS on this.

The laws on handguns in Canada have been the same for way, WAY longer than that far back.
You just don't have a clue about guns.
Stop pretending that you have a valid opinion on them, because you most certainly do not.
At all.

The only real change was barrel length for the distinction between restricted and prohibited handguns.
And you could still keep owning the prohibited ones if you already had them.
Transporting them remained the same as well.

Well I do carry a handgun every day, not for gunfights with squirrels (evil little bastard tree rats) or bears. I'm too old to take a whipping and too young to die. I also carry a folder and in the woods a fixed blade. They all have appropriate uses.

As for useful, well I'll pop a deer and be eating it while Gaston is putting his knife on a stick to get busted or lost and going without food.

You know I had sworn off this thread just because of his sheer stupidity I guess I'll have to just stop looking. Its kind of like a train wreck and stopping to watch.

I beg to differ about the usefulness of guns...Even if I were to mount it on a stick for an overnight stay, throwing is probably secondary...

Now throwing is secondary? Your posts have been about testing the performance of attaching a knife to a stick and throwing it repeatedly - presumably to hunt game. We said a firearm would be much more practical and effective than throwing a knife spear. Keep the story straight.

I noticed the Running River "Survival Bowie" has just been sold again on Mike Welze: Did you re-sell yours?

Yes.

Back