The M-18 (official)

The reason the handles resemble Beckers handles is because the first prototypes of this knife had Etha s handles on them. (With Ethans permission) once i decided on a finalized design for obvious reasons I went to my own handles . After time went on I designed my own bolt on handle to cut cost for the consumer. But they where molded of of my countours. The handle is slightly bigger, more rear swell and the bolt pattern is slightly different. So, to answer the question. No, Becker handles will not properly fit.

Got a new one in bound. Kind of impulse buy. USAMADEBLADE got a shipment at the same time I was asking.

Got a new one in bound. Kind of impulse buy. USAMADEBLADE got a shipment at the same time I was asking.

Sweet! Drop us a line when you get it and let us know how we did. Pictures are always appreciated. M-18s don't like being clean, use the hell out of it.

Wow! Two years this thread has been dormant... 's okay if I interrupt the peaceful slumber?

I'm brand new to T.M. Hunt's work... I saw some hints of the M18 on the Becker forum and it really captured my interest; so just working from an untitled photo I googled it to discover what it was and viola`I'm led to http://www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/ and finally I understand what that awesomely peculiar knife is! After a bit more investigation and several Youtube videos later I come to the realization that I will never know edged steel-peace until I have one of these elite M18's!
Soon I'm on the hunt (pardon the pun) for any examples available for sale and to my delight I find a selection available @ SMKW... in the time it takes to click the PayPal button I had one in the mail to me pronto and in a few agonizing days it finally arrived! Needless to say, holding the real-deal in my hands is as satisfying and awe-inspiring as I imagined; the M18 is one impressive display of metallurgical magic!

Now...thing is, though...I've had this baby in my hands for more than a week now but have not had opportunity to actually use it!
1. Between the weather here being an unending series of thunderstorms and downpours and my job demanding more hours and days of my life than my old USAF enlistment did, I've had only an all-too-brief moment to venture outside between storms to snap a few photos with it (being careful to gently bite it into the tree stump for photographing.)

2. Also, I've been a bit uncertain to commit to using it because I'm concerned if I may actually need to return it to SMKW... reason for that is: I'm kind of confused with the condition of my M18. See, thing is- fresh from the box I noticed a couple of odd physical aspects of it that gave me pause to wonder: "Have I been sold a previously used/returned knife?" o_O
The reasons I'm having that thought are two-fold; 1. The blade came out of the box with noticeable sheathing-scratches and a couple other more minor blemishes to the finish (which are clearly visible in the photos) and; 2. The edge is NOT particularly sharp and has an undeniable burr on one side. In a simple copy paper slicing test it performed an almost tearing-like rough cutting action. Now, I realize I could simply resharpen the edge to a keener profile and put an end to that caveat (but, that's kinda the rub ya see?...I shouldn't have to face these sort of discrepancies with a brand new knife; esp. a custom product like this one.)

So, as thrilled as I am to have the wondrous M18 I'm also a bit dampened by this particular specimine's seemingly questionable state. :(

85gm6dr.jpg

LSbnhkC.jpg

what kind of sheath did it come with? that looks like sheath wear, not prior use - especially if you got one with kydex. (which has a rep for scratching finishes)
the "finish" on these is a ferric chloride etch -- sort of like a heavy duty patina -- since these are designed and expected to be used, it wears pretty quick.
edges are done by hand with a belt sander, followed by a quick hit on a strop -- it's not unlikely that burr just didn't get stropped off. that's actually more common than many folks expect across a wide range of new knives, whether custom or factory.
a couple swipes on a crock stick followed by half a dozen passes on a strop and the burr should be gone.

I've owned a few of these. Mine have all been second hand purchases. None have been what I would consider "sharp". But they were used so that doesn't help you.

It is a BEASt of a knife. Quirky and unique!

I hope that you find a spot for it in your rotation. I've messed with mine a bit and am undecided if to keep it or move it on. I may keep it since it is so unique!

Best of luck on your journey!

what kind of sheath did it come with? that looks like sheath wear, not prior use - especially if you got one with kydex. (which has a rep for scratching finishes)
the "finish" on these is a ferric chloride etch -- sort of like a heavy duty patina -- since these are designed and expected to be used, it wears pretty quick.
edges are done by hand with a belt sander, followed by a quick hit on a strop -- it's not unlikely that burr just didn't get stropped off. that's actually more common than many folks expect across a wide range of new knives, whether custom or factory.
a couple swipes on a crock stick followed by half a dozen passes on a strop and the burr should be gone.

Kydex sheath. Agreed, easily identified as sheath rub- just that it seems pretty pronounced as if it's seen a good deal of un/re-sheathing than a unused knife should show. :confused:
Oh she's a keeper al'right... I'll shape the edge a bit and rock'n roll!

Just outta curiosity- mine's number 188, any idea of when it was made?

no idea.
you could ask him on his FB page.

and I've seen worse happen on the first slide with a couple other makers.

Kydex sheath. Agreed, easily identified as sheath rub- just that it seems pretty pronounced as if it's seen a good deal of un/re-sheathing than a unused knife should show. :confused:
Oh she's a keeper al'right... I'll shape the edge a bit and rock'n roll!

Just outta curiosity- mine's number 188, any idea of when it was made?

If you got it at SMKW they have them on display in the actual storefront. So any time a customer wants to see it they pull it out of the glass case and out of the sheath. That's probably why it has some sheath wear.

If you got it at SMKW they have them on display in the actual storefront. So any time a customer wants to see it they pull it out of the glass case and out of the sheath. That's probably why it has some sheath wear.

Thanks for that insight, makes sense. Always wanted to go see the physical store...it's about 6.5 hours North of me; perhaps a Spring motorcycle ride is warranted!

Back