The Mini Hatchet

So the modifications to the Vaughan (current production) continue :D Not sure if anyone recalls but I struggled with getting a well fitted haft on it after breaking the factory handle. I discovered that the eye was crooked so that it was out of line with the bit. This was definitely a big part of why I was having so much trouble.

Fast forward and I was thinking about ways to deal with it. It came to me I would straighten the eye and enlarge it at the same time! Well I picked up a set of chainsaw files on my break today and tonight i went to work. I got it to the point where the bit would sit in line with one of the old handles I'd pulled from another axe. Then I went to town :D presently I have it to where the original handle from my Craftsman wobbles around like a hatchet handle in a half axe. I'll probably take it a bit further before calling it good. I'm hoping to have an easier time with hafting and obviously to have a stronger handle. I'll try to update with some photos soon.

So the modifications to the Vaughan (current production) continue :D Not sure if anyone recalls but I struggled with getting a well fitted haft on it after breaking the factory handle. I discovered that the eye was crooked so that it was out of line with the bit. This was definitely a big part of why I was having so much trouble.

Fast forward and I was thinking about ways to deal with it. It came to me I would straighten the eye and enlarge it at the same time! Well I picked up a set of chainsaw files on my break today and tonight i went to work. I got it to the point where the bit would sit in line with one of the old handles I'd pulled from another axe. Then I went to town :D presently I have it to where the original handle from my Craftsman wobbles around like a hatchet handle in a half axe. I'll probably take it a bit further before calling it good. I'm hoping to have an easier time with hafting and obviously to have a stronger handle. I'll try to update with some photos soon.
( mine is also a bit off, but only a teeny bit and isn't an issue )
I'm looking forward to seeing the results, maybe you can do a better job at what I did with a full sized hatchet handle.👍 I did a decent job, but I definitely could've turned out better

( mine is also a bit off, but only a teeny bit and isn't an issue )
I'm looking forward to seeing the results, maybe you can do a better job at what I did with a full sized hatchet handle.👍 I did a decent job, but I definitely could've turned out better

I'm happy with how the handle came out on my Craftsman mini so I'm going to shoot for a very similar result with the Vaughan. It's by far the most comfortable mini hatchet handle I've used. The fawn's foot looks a bit silly with how large it is but it feels great in use. I'm looking forward to not having to take quite as much material off of the tongue this go around ;)

25062048160_f1e5d6d09a_h.jpg

Nice job Hacked. I like the fawns foot, makes it a useful little hatchet, the tiny little handles they came with are horrible unless you have hands the size of a 5 year old child. What's the overall length ?

Nice job Hacked. I like the fawns foot, makes it a useful little hatchet, the tiny little handles they came with are horrible unless you have hands the size of a 5 year old child. What's the overall length ?

The overall length is a little over 13" but in use its about 12" which is a good length for these hatchets in my experience.

An update on my current project here are some pictures of the process as promised.

28302836235_dde13c5789_k.jpg

28021360620_60f7730aac_k.jpg

I still have some work to do to the eye. I want to make it slightly wider, ensure that it remains centered and taper it a bit as it was a pain to set a wedge properly in the Craftsman above. I really wish Vaughan would put the effort into a better finished product and working it so the eye was large enough for a stronger handle. Obviously GB has proven that there is a market for these half pound hatchets, and Vaughan is one of the few companies with a competing product.

Is it safe to reuse parts of old, split full length axe hafts for things like mini hatchets? They are going to mostly be for decoration but I'd never want to build a dangerous tool --wall hangar or not.

I've picked up a couple axes & hatchets at yard sales, some with cracked/split hafts that have been very neglected. Some look like they have been sitting out in the weather for a very long time. If I find a decent looking section, once I start to shape it, will I be able to tell if the grain is too far gone?

Is it safe to reuse parts of old, split full length axe hafts for things like mini hatchets? They are going to mostly be for decoration but I'd never want to build a dangerous tool --wall hangar or not.

I've picked up a couple axes & hatchets at yard sales, some with cracked/split hafts that have been very neglected. Some look like they have been sitting out in the weather for a very long time. If I find a decent looking section, once I start to shape it, will I be able to tell if the grain is too far gone?

1215 the axe I posted on page 10 being used for kindleing and carving has a handle that started off this way. It came from a DB Kelly that belonged to my wife's grandfather. The axe had been left out in the elements by my FIL and the tongue was rotten. The rest of the handle certainly seemed solid especially when I made a fresh cut. Often the core of the wood will be in good shape even if it looks rough on the outside. Obviously you need to use your best judgement, and I recommend soaking the wood in the oil of your choosing. Hopefully that helps.

I assume you mean soaking after it is shaped? This goes without saying.

Actually though... Every hang I've done so far has been to use the axes so I pretty much lay them in a bath of BLO until they get a little gummy --and then start using the heck out of them. I may play around with this guy but it'll mostly be for decoration. Can I do the same thing (soak until gummy) and then wipe it down with something (turpentine, mineral spirits, I'll read the can)? What would be good on a wall hang piece that probably won't ever be a user?

I assume you mean soaking after it is shaped? This goes without saying.

Actually though... Every hang I've done so far has been to use the axes so I pretty much lay them in a bath of BLO until they get a little gummy --and then start using the heck out of them. I may play around with this guy but it'll mostly be for decoration. Can I do the same thing (soak until gummy) and then wipe it down with something (turpentine, mineral spirits, I'll read the can)? What would be good on a wall hang piece that probably won't ever be a user?

Honestly I've never done a wall hanger so I'm not the best person to ask. I would think that oil followed up by a coat of bees wax would be a good route with the intention of keeping the wood from drying out over time. At least thats what comes to mind.

I have to urge you to give at least one a fair chance at being a user, if nothing else try one out. I know these tools are often look down upon as being nothing more than a gimmick or child's toy (well maybe not in this day in age ;)) but as I've tried to demonstrate they can actually be a useful tool if you are willing to work within their limitations.

99.9% of what I do is split wood for heat. Occasionally I'll spend an hour or two filling up the kindling boxes but really the 5# Legitimus or a splitting maul (or sledge + wedges) are best suited for what I'm doing. If I pull anything smaller than the 5# its just for fun/exercise.

I haven't hung any of them yet but these things are only a few ounces each. The eyes are the length of a nickle, the width of a #2 pencil and very narrow/oval.

I'll give using them serious consideration. I recently had an issue at a family party. Just after dusk a family member (who had never lit a fire before) went into the garage, pulled my Plumb 1945 U.S. Army hatchet out of the BLO tray and started cutting wood from the wood pile in an attempt to light a fire in the fire pit (he stepped over the kindling bins to pull the hatchet). Could be just because this was recent (I'm going to look for/build a locking cabinet) but I'm nervous about introducing more easy/accessible tools that could accidentally maim or dismember someone... but I guess Darwin right?? (is that bad to think that about family? it was an in-law... that any better?)

Hacked-
As long as you're reshaping the eye, I've always thought it would benefit from being longer towards the edge as well as wider inside. The eyes are so small they look out of proportion, when compared with most regular hatchets, like the handle is too far back toward the poll. If you take a close look at the picture of mine I posted earlier, I made the neck of the haft extend forward under the body of the head, just to make it look right. In retrospect I should have just filed the eye to the proper dimensions.

This is one area where a dremel type tool with long but small diameter grinding and sanding drums really come in handy, since it's hard to keep a file flat inside the eye.

Plopped this little Plumb National head on the postal scale and while the seller had advertised a 1.5lb weight, it's only a mere 1lb 1.6oz so I suspect it was originally a 1lb 4oz nominal weight when new 'cause it doesn't look like it's lost 6oz of steel. The handle is red oak from the property here, and measures 20" to under the head. Looks kind of fat until you realize the small size of the thing! Almost ready to wedge it up but I'm letting it sit a few days in the car to make sure it's super dry.

13697283_10209857281297142_3640207005071448575_n.jpg

Plopped this little Plumb National head on the postal scale and while the seller had advertised a 1.5lb weight, it's only a mere 1lb 1.6oz so I suspect it was originally a 1lb 4oz nominal weight when new 'cause it doesn't look like it's lost 6oz of steel. The handle is red oak from the property here, and measures 20" to under the head. Looks kind of fat until you realize the small size of the thing! Almost ready to wedge it up but I'm letting it sit a few days in the car to make sure it's super dry.

That is a neat hatchet FortyTwoBlades. I really like that handle and the fact you made it out of the wood you have there on your property.

Thanks! I'll be doing a little more work to it before it's completely done, but I'm holding off until after it bakes in the car a bit just in case anything goes awry in the process. Should be a pretty handy little thing all is said and done. The set of the bit is actually really good for this handle length.

Hacked-
As long as you're reshaping the eye, I've always thought it would benefit from being longer towards the edge as well as wider inside. The eyes are so small they look out of proportion, when compared with most regular hatchets, like the handle is too far back toward the poll. If you take a close look at the picture of mine I posted earlier, I made the neck of the haft extend forward under the body of the head, just to make it look right. In retrospect I should have just filed the eye to the proper dimensions.

This is one area where a dremel type tool with long but small diameter grinding and sanding drums really come in handy, since it's hard to keep a file flat inside the eye.

I couldn't agree more the possum, which is why I did exactly that :D I removed nothing from the back of the eye and at this point I could probably shove a couple of q-tips in the front of the eye with one of my old handles in place. Needless to say you can easily see daylight through that section now. I'm pretty happy with where it is at now after a bit of work. I'll have to post another picture before i end up putting a handle on it because hopefully this time the handle will be staying put for a good long while ;)

Nice work, I have one of these in my project pile. It's an interesting head in that the overall size is more compact than other hatchets I have yet the eye is larger. Mine is a BSA model with a Genuine Plumb stamp just like my old man's. This was the first axe of any kind I ever used.

The balance point on the head is about 3/4cm inside the front of the eye, so the handle is tuned to run true along a single axis. :thumbup:

The overall length is a little over 13" but in use its about 12" which is a good length for these hatchets in my experience.

An update on my current project here are some pictures of the process as promised.

28302836235_dde13c5789_k.jpg

28021360620_60f7730aac_k.jpg

I still have some work to do to the eye. I want to make it slightly wider, ensure that it remains centered and taper it a bit as it was a pain to set a wedge properly in the Craftsman above. I really wish Vaughan would put the effort into a better finished product and working it so the eye was large enough for a stronger handle. Obviously GB has proven that there is a market for these half pound hatchets, and Vaughan is one of the few companies with a competing product.

Lookin' good, I may do the same thing if my handle ever goes.
Mine works perfectly fine as is, but why not fix an issue when I have the chance.
I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out 👍

1 lb head on a custom 11" handle. Not sure on manufacturer but says it was made in Sweden. Takes a razor edge. Works well for me doing carving tasks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469841793.299653.jpg

Nice work on that handle Jeremy. Is it safe to assume that the pile of shavings resulted from the process of making it?

I finished up the eye on my Vaughan a while back, blued it recently and started the process of fitting the handle to it. Then I got distracted by a Plumb BSA hatchet that had its pole brutally mangled by some numbskull. For whatever reason I am determined to bring it back to its former glory. So far I'm happy with the results.

Back