The Mini Hatchet

Any idea on taper or diameter?

I'd say something like a ball peen hammer handle would be nice 11-12" in length. The handle should slim down substantially near the top to allow the handle to have some give to it in use. Here's is one I made for an old coworker next to and old ball peen I used for inspiration.

15736215253_cfbc84b53f_h.jpg

You could also do a straight fawn's hoof swell at the end if the primary use would be the axe bit. It would be something different and still quite functional.

I have two Craftsman mini hatchets that were my grandfather's and then that one I posted the photo of. I can see it was red up to the nail hook and then steel from the nail hook up to the blade. I can't see any raised or lowered markings in it at all. Was also my grandfathers so could have been a junk hardware store pickup from 50+ years ago (probably still made in USA and better quality than most modern stuff today). Should I put it in vinegar or just hang it as-is, sharpen it and let it be?

I have two Craftsman mini hatchets that were my grandfather's and then that one I posted the photo of. I can see it was red up to the nail hook and then steel from the nail hook up to the blade. I can't see any raised or lowered markings in it at all. Was also my grandfathers so could have been a junk hardware store pickup from 50+ years ago (probably still made in USA and better quality than most modern stuff today). Should I put it in vinegar or just hang it as-is, sharpen it and let it be?

Not having an angle grinder my preference has become a 2" cup brush that Lowes sells for $3. Vinegar strips away the patina and leaves a rather dull finish. The brush leaves it in tact and is also faster and less messy. That's the route I would recommend personally.

An angle grinder is preferred, but for a head of that size a wire wheel for a drill won't prove too small if you don't have an angle grinder.

A double oval mini? I'd like to see that. Was it on Axe Junkies?

Not a mini sorry just had recalled Rockman0 was looking for one. It was in a group that a guy named Ben from Junkies had started up.

I think the most interesting mini hatchets I have seen were a Kelly Black Raven :eek: and a AA&T. Both may have been legitimate salesman's samples, though it's hard to tell. The Kelly if I recall actually looked like it could have been a functioning tool if you added a hammer but with the price it sold for I'd never use it.

The rarest one I own is stamped William Mann on one side and Lippincott On the other. It's an interesting head to say the least.

I'm bringing this thread back, because I think I came across one of the little Plumb Girl Scout or Voyageur's hatchets on ebay. I first became aware of these in the rehang thread- we discuss them a bit starting towards the bottom of page 90:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1064461-What-did-you-rehang-today/page90?highlight=possum

They are supposed to be 11" long overall, with a 1 pound head. Now that I see the seller's pictures, I understand why they're heavier- they look like a splitting wedge with a haft.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On the one hand I wouldn't want to modify a nice antique. On the other, I'd be tempted to grind a couple ounces off the sides of the eye and poll to see if I could make it into something better performing. (after trying it out first, of course- I may discover they really don't need modifying) Doubt I will be bidding if the price goes up much more before it closes.

That looks like the patented Plumb screw-wedge in that one. 1930s IIRC. Looks worn down some so probably thinning the cheeks is a good idea.

@the possum, that's a cool little Plumb. I recall the discussion, it's neat to see some pictures of an actual example. I believe I have seen a few of the heads floating around. At least they were makes as being 1 lbs heads and had a similar shape to them.

So the only real update I have for this thread is that I'd put together this video using my Vaughan. I'm very happy with it as it sits. Anyway I took up a challenge from someone on another forum who didn't feel a hatchet under 20oz was worth the while. The intention was for him to do a corresponding video with a knife and saw, but unfortunately that never came about. Apparently his internet connection kept timing out in attempts to upload it to YouTube. So I half to take his word that he beat my time by about 40 seconds. Either way it was fun and probably demonstrates how these tools function better than pictures and words can.

[youtube]rHT2d38PY-s[/youtube]

Here is a link, since the embedded video is a bit small.

One thing the lighter hatchets & tomahawks have going for them is speed. You can get the same power and work out of a tool that's big and slow, or light and fast. (much like the caliber wars I've seen on gun boards) A big axe lets you work at a slower pace while the weight does the work. Because if you want to keep up the same pace all day, your muscles can keep up the tempo longer when moving slower. I.E., I can walk a lot farther and longer (time) than I can sprint. But if you need to get something done in a hurry and don't have the luxury of time, a lighter tool won't wear you out as quickly. Trying to move a 3 1/2 pound axe at max speed kills me pretty quick.

Worthless, I think not ! Actually I know not.
Great video, thanks 👍
BTW here's my latest, it's a marbles db with about a maybe 14oz ( not really sure ) head that definitely qualities as a mini.

( I'll try to get a picture with size reference later )

I have one of the Marbles single bit minis, but their double bit looks much nicer IMO.

I'm definitely not knocking larger axes, I've actually been using my Grandfather In-law's (wife's grandfather) axe recently. It was passed down to my by way of my father in-law in terrible shape. He leaves his axes head down in the dirt leaned up against a tree next to his woodpile. I actually made a handle for one of my Mini hatchets out of the handle that was on it when I got it. The wood inside the eye was water logged and rotten.

32174180144_221c88e3ff_h.jpg

I believe it's a 3.5 lbs head and probably a TrueTemper as the eye has ridges. It's on a 36" Ames handle with a rather unique Osage Orange wedge. I've found it useful for more stubborn logs when I'm splitting up wood, it's also a fantastic workout. Like the possum I find I can't swing it for too long before noticing, but I'd imagine after some time it wouldn't be an issue.

Is your marbles mini one of the mads in Asia models or a made in El Salvador by imicasa models like my db hatchet ? I've seen that they also have a small single bit hatchet model MA700SB similar in size to the Vaughan sub zero.

This one's pretty cool! How does the steel hold up?

It seems to be about on par with my Vaughan sub zero. For $ from [non-BF dealer] you just have to give one a try and decide for yourself.
BTW I added the orange accents to match my marbles machetes, and it doesn't come that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be about on par with my Vaughan sub zero. For $ from [a non-BF dealer] you just have to give one a try and decide for yourself.
BTW I added the orange accents to match my marbles machetes, and it doesn't come that way.

Thanks...nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your marbles mini one of the mads in Asia models or a made in El Salvador by imicasa models like my db hatchet ? I've seen that they also have a small single bit hatchet model MA700SB similar in size to the Vaughan sub zero.

Mine is the Condor made in El Salvador version. I believe the model number MA700SB is the correct one. The steel is good, it came well profiled, and it seems well made. The downside is the handle is surprisingly enough too thin, and you'll never catch me saying that a handle is too thin. The bit is also awkwardly long as in from eye to bevel. I much prefer my Vaughan to the Marbles. I think you got the better of the two models.

Mine is the Condor made in El Salvador version. I believe the model number MA700SB is the correct one. The steel is good, it came well profiled, and it seems well made. The downside is the handle is surprisingly enough too thin, and you'll never catch me saying that a handle is too thin. The bit is also awkwardly long as in from eye to bevel. I much prefer my Vaughan to the Marbles. I think you got the better of the two models.

Yeah, the bit on that one is very long.
They have a few other models, but their not mini's other than the garbage china? safety axes.
The gain orientation on mine is completely wrong, but other than that its a real nice shape / size and I don't think the grain matters much on something of this size.

I got some work done today on a li'l 250g Rinaldi "Sicilia" pattern head that I'm mounting up as a shepherd's axe. It's a very comfortable head for the purpose. Here's some crappy cell photos.

16649367_10211961299136273_9110692577874632688_n.jpg

16831955_10211961307216475_762783271967116408_n.jpg

16864111_10211961310136548_1919874551187723827_n.jpg

16864517_10211961318576759_1052069777340753531_n.jpg

16649039_10211961326456956_7997639071373874051_n.jpg

16830779_10211961327096972_8742009715055912223_n.jpg

Back