The New SURVIVE!

Oh man, there's only $20 difference between a sk12 and a gso12... I was begging for an opportunity to preorder a 12 and now I have to chose? When it rains it pours

Oh man, there's only $20 difference between a sk12 and a gso12... I was begging for an opportunity to preorder a 12 and now I have to chose? When it rains it pours
I thought the same thing, it's a big chunk of delta so it's a no brainer for me. I am gonna get whichever is available soonest

Will stainless steel options still be available?
Seems so far the SK series advertised are D3V only

Probably not. Part of the SK line is that the options are intentionally limited to reduce the number of combinations to build, and therefore cycle time.

As far as the question about "How is adding a new leap going to reduce workload/improve delivery time?" (I'm paraphrasing)

Thus isn't going to be like flipping a switch. The GSO backlog has to be cleared out, but they have been gaining on that in significant ways. In the future state the SK line will alleviate the high demand on the premium, GSO line. It's going to take time for things to level out.

Probably not. Part of the SK line is that the options are intentionally limited to reduce the number of combinations to build, and therefore cycle time.

As far as the question about "How is adding a new leap going to reduce workload/improve delivery time?" (I'm paraphrasing)

Thus isn't going to be like flipping a switch. The GSO backlog has to be cleared out, but they have been gaining on that in significant ways. In the future state the SK line will alleviate the high demand on the premium, GSO line. It's going to take time for things to level out.
Well I hope they hurry lol

It appears that the GSO runs are going to be smaller with some of the existing steel being transferred to the SK line.
That would result in fewer knives requiring Guy's personal attention, which has always been the bottleneck.
I expect that means that they won't be painstakingly reworking the 2nds, and will probably ship them out as SK line products.
That will free up time for Guy to concentrate exclusively on the order backlog of firsts.

I'm kind of guessing that if you preorder a SK 12 it will arrive sooner than a GSO 12.

I am cautiously optimistic about Survive! getting up to speed with supplying their S!K line more efficiently and more expeditiously. Although the nature of this new announcement has been disclosed, the details of this outsourced collaborative work (purportedly U.S. based) are the most important facets of this announcement which will most likely and rightly so, remain surreptitious. I am hoping and speculating that Survive! has worked out a deal which not only be more of a back-end favored one, but also to have secured some more working capital in order to carry on with their in-house GSO commitments and the future GSO projects.

No one who is an open minded and an objective person, as opposed to those who remain nefarious with much animus toward Survive!, wishes for this operation to tank because truthfully speaking there will not be any winners other than the parasites of the legal system in case of a collapse. GSO is already a very good and well known brand among knife enthusiasts as evident by YouTubers and inflationary secondary market prices, while enjoying a past and current bevvy of very happy and loyal owners. I come back to my opening statement that I remain cautiously optimistic about the viability of Survive! the sooner they manage to get more of their knives into the users / consumers hands. I also sincerely hope that Guy continues with his passion of making his signature knives because I feel that his contributions are quite valuable for that market sector. Better to detach oneself from the day-to-day headaches of operation lest sinking and losing the entire ship! Even some of the best of them walked away from the day to day grind: Chris Reeve comes to mind.

Best of fortunes to Survive! and Surviv!ors

I'm kind of guessing that if you preorder a SK 12 it will arrive sooner than a GSO 12.
Sounds like gso series will be more desirable in fit and finish so I'm leaning toward one of those since patience has never been an issue for me and the price difference is negligible. Waited for what seemed like forever on a gso10 several years back. Sleeping on it for a couple nights before I pull the trigger though. Decisions aren't my strong suit...

^ evidently neither is your propensity for posting on here :D

I think I must've posted more that your entire post count since 2009, in my first minute of joining this Site, but then again I waffle a lot and talk a bunch of nonsense!

Is it outsourced to BRK? Seems like they are doing so many people's knives like Dark Timber (I think) and the Ambush Line. Can anyone confirm my guess?

After my Benchmade/Spyderco spree earlier this month (in response to being unable to go to Blade), the last thing I needed was the Darn Dao, BG AK-47 and SK 12 preorders popping up in short succession lol. Oh well.

On Facebook, Ellie said that the SK will be ground by Millit Knives, then to Peter's Heat Treat and the rest will be done by Precision Plus.

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I read the mention of Precision Plus in Ellie's link in the OP, but I don't know anything about them... PrecisionPlus, Inc. seems to be a parts manufacturer with facilities in a few states, including here in WI, but I'm not sure that that is the right company...

I'd never heard of Millit Knives (in Meridian, ID) until Guy's mention of them in the linked video and your post, here is their website for those wondering: https://millitknives.com/
Millit Knives is a full service, OEM knife manufacturer. We specialize in manufacturing high quality knives on a production level. We offer our services individually or as a whole. Below is a list of services we offer.

• Water Jet
  • Surface Grinding
  • CNC machining
  • Heat Treatment
  • CNC Hollow Grinding
  • Sharpening
  • Manufacturing logistics
  • Material Sourcing

Am glad to see that they came up with a good collaboration, can't wait to see the outcome :cool::thumbsup:

What steel and what heat treat on the SK. Line?

All SK Knives will be CPM-3V with the delta heat treat protocol. We have no current plans to add any other steel options.

Thanks, I saw that, but my simple brain is saying, "have they been working on SK orders previously", because I have not seen any for sale. So, I'm trying to figure out how this will increase GSO production and reduce wait times. I may be missing something, but it seems like it will be business as usual, with the addition of the fast aquisition of the SK line (which is a good thing). Again, I'm not being negative and I love the fact we can grab a Survive knife in a quicker time frame, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how we can get a GSO knife quicker if S!K has not been working on getting SK's to the consumers previously.

What they said:
From what I understand, Survive! anticipate people to order SK more than GSO and so that means less demand and time spent on backlog. I could and usually am wrong.

It appears that the GSO runs are going to be smaller with some of the existing steel being transferred to the SK line.
That would result in fewer knives requiring Guy's personal attention, which has always been the bottleneck.
I expect that means that they won't be painstakingly reworking the 2nds, and will probably ship them out as SK line products.
That will free up time for Guy to concentrate exclusively on the order backlog of firsts.

We have been working on growing the GSO Series to get to a point where we can keep up with demand. The preorders are only a small portion of a total production run. The remaining knives are what we have been listing on our Wednesday sales, with us being the ones making all of those as well. With the SK Series starting, the SURVIVE! workshop will only be getting blades for the preorders (with a few extras in case of blemishes) and the rest of each run will go to Precision Plus. Guy, Jordyn, and I will be looking at a workload that is about 1/4-1/3 as many knives as what we are doing now. SURVIVE! will be able to grow without our small shop bottlenecks, but with the SK Series as the main product instead. We are essentially hiring more people, they just aren't in our shop.

Additionally, we are expecting there to be less of the time consuming hand work. With the new grinding setup and less traveling there should be less damage and other losses. So Guy will have even more time for the preorders.

I still want to get new spec GSO-5.1 at some point (let me know if your 6 takes it's spot ;)). Maybe that's going to be a possibility once the other preorders are filled and new steel is cut. Or maybe even an SK version?

We will be opening up a last chance preorder for the GSO-5.1 (and all of the remaining GSO models) once it gets closer to cutting. There will definitely be an SK-5.1, we are planning to transition most of the existing GSO models to the SK Series. The GSO-5.1 has been so popular that we will likely be doing another SK preorder to be sure we are making enough of those.

Probably, if you are just ordering at this point. The first blades off the machine will be heading to us, as well as the first handles and sheaths. So we will have a definite head start on fulfilling the GSO preorders. But I can't say for sure that every GSO preorder will be out before the SK preorders start shipping. Especially for runs where there are larger numbers to get through.

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I read the mention of Precision Plus in Ellie's link in the OP, but I don't know anything about them... PrecisionPlus, Inc. seems to be a parts manufacturer with facilities in a few states, including here in WI, but I'm not sure that that is the right company...

That is not the same company. We originally didn't mention them specifically because they aren't exactly a household name, though they do produce finished knives for a variety of companies.

Back