The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

I'll second that. I examined the spines of the broken knives closely and saw no indication of batonning. I was asked about six times for permission before they batonned my knife. Those guys clearly love and respect good tools.

I'll say this again: no maker "failed" here. We can all learn from this. I'm about 90% sure I know what was up with the three knives that broke/wobbled, but I'll keep that under my hat unless asked by the individual maker.

On 2 of them, the makers already posted that they missed the "bushcrafting" partof the testing and anticipating a pure cutting competition went with thin blades in the 63-64 RC range. At that point, it the user was making a snap cut and applied some lateral stress while the knife was still in the branchlet, chipping does not surprise me.
On Rick's knife, my suspicion is that there was a "bad spot" in the stock it was being hammered out of.
Specifically an internal flaw that was drawn out during the forging.

there's another picture thread that shows Terrio's knife getting pounded on as well.

Man that looked like some kind of fun! Still can't get over that size of bamboo growing up in those mountains.

@ James and anyone else who handled my knife, feel free to drop you opinions/theories on my knife if you'd like. Seriously, we learn nothing if we can't take constructive criticism. Don't hold back, I'm a big ole boy now.

Thanks again to Moose and all who participated. Don't they have one of these in the Fall also? It's never to early to get started on another knife! :)

It was a hoot - and I brought some scraps home to mess around with.
As to another gathering, we're having one up by Topeka July 5-7 if you want to come visit and bring toys for folks to play with.
Otherwise, the next big one will be this fall, location to be determined.

I really hope this falls gathering will 'fall' into the kind schedule for me... I'd really love to meet a lot of you guys, then there's the others also... :p I'm tempted to go sweat it out with you guys in July, but that time of year maybe something happening here we'll see... much closer for me and Don though...

that is righteous
This is my entry. (I think) if not this one one exactly like it but different handle materials. 5 1/2in. blade 01. Curly maple/G-10 handle
2013-04-07111616_zps924fa6f4.jpg
2013-04-07111644_zps0716ef49.jpg

Man, that is crazy beautiful!! Question for you leather experts...can an already stained built sheath be re-tooled and stained? Also, thinking about adding copper rivets. Thanks

Finally done... specs and pics...

1084 Steel
3/16" Thick
10 1/4" OA Length
5 3/8" Blade
4 7/8" Handle
1 1/2" at Widest
Copper Bolster/Guard
Leather backed, hemp wrap, epoxy soaked
Mild steel butt cap
Through tang, tapered, peened
Leather cord Turks head knot
Forged/Etched finish
Sheath is veg tanned cowhide , tooled, sewn and riveted by hand
Wax dipped.

Man, that is crazy beautiful!! Question for you leather experts...can an already stained built sheath be re-tooled and stained? Also, thinking about adding copper rivets. Thanks

Sorry I missed it

Last edited:
Back