The Old Rugged Victorinox Cross..... Pioneer content, grails and such.... Red Gold...

At one time, I wasn't too big on SAKs. Never had a dislike for them, but I liked stockmen, jack knives, and the old Buck 110. I did have a need for a scout type knife, but to be honest, those cheapies from back in the day just didn't do it for me and the nice ones were asking for a little bit of money. One day, we had a thread in the outdoors section where a fella from Italy showed us how to baton with a Victorinox Farmer. I was impressed and decided it was time to try one.

His Farmer was Black in color. I was smitten, A very rugged knife in a classy tuxedo color. What is not to like? The only models available here are silver. Silver is quite a practical color as they don't show scratches, but the colored ones do something for me. I contacted the OP and asked about it. It was made for Italy and Black Farmers are common enough over there. I found a vendor who had no problem selling me one. My bet paid off.

After deciding I really liked the knife... nice complement of tools, the spear blade really worked well on everything, the saw and awl really worked well... I decided I should look for more unique and cool ones. I ended up with the African Emerald Pioneer, which was made for the South African Market... still there was something I was missing. I had been seeing the old cross models from time to time. While I think of all the Alox SAKs as Traditional, the old cross models seemed really traditional and old school. I really liked them, but never found a good deal on one. I see SAK guy's posted from time to time, but no deals.

To the point, I finally broke and bought an older Pioneer. I thought I'd share and compare to the newer model.

An Old Cross Victorinox Alox Pioneer

New and old, different logos, same texture, same pins, brass liner in the old, stainless liner in the new

Older blade seems shorter (edge to spine), but that may be from sharpening. I'm not sure if the older main blade was polished or brushed as seen here. Both are about the same thickness.

Can openers are a little different, but close

More can opener, note the finish polishing on the new

Both have awls that work great.... the older is a little worn, note the spot for engraving on the back of the new model

Bottle opener, screwdriver, wire stripper tool has different finishes

Both displaying all tools.

Now for an Old Cross Farmer!!!! :D

Excellent review Woodrow and that is a real beauty of an old cross you got there.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck on that Farmer!!!! :cool:

Does the older one have the funky half stop on the bottle opener? Does the new one for that matter. My newish cadet has it. It's interesting.

That is a swell looking old cross!
The alox SAKs were the gateway drug that got me hooked on traditionals.

Great looking knives and very useful as well. Those older SAKs definitely have a certain "appeal" to them.

Great write up Woodrow. Alox was my gateway drug into the sordid world of traditional knives. Now I'm at the point of incessant internet scanning and forum reading. Selling knives to others in order to increase my paypal balance and fund my habit. Bought an ipad so I can take the internet with me. Too old to read a lot on the iPhones small screen.

It's a sad situation indeed.....lol.

Great write up Woodrow. Alox was my gateway drug into the sordid world of traditional knives. Now I'm at the point of incessant internet scanning and forum reading. Selling knives to others in order to increase my paypal balance and fund my habit. Bought an ipad so I can take the internet with me. Too old to read a lot on the iPhones small screen.

It's a sad situation indeed.....lol.

Traditionals introduced me to the Alox knives. Otherwise, I'm in the same boat. :eek:

I've gotten into the SAKs recently as well. I've got Brother Joe58 to partially thank for that. ;)

They are great knives and very useful. The Alox feels a lot better and more sturdy in the hand than I thought it would before ever handling one. I agree, the old cross models have a special charm to them.

I have an old cross Pioneer and a couple of old cross Electricians. I'd love to have an old cross Farmer.

Oh dear that African emerald is fantastic! I really need to find one! Primble posted one on his mystery give away and I, like you with the black, am smitten.

I have a red old cross brass linered Farmer and I agree with what has been said here.
Only the screw driver and can opener are a brushed finish on mine.

I have a red old cross brass linered Farmer and I agree with what has been said here.
Only the screw driver and can opener are a brushed finish on mine.

Older Pioneers/Farmers had brushed tools with a polished blade. Later (new shield) 93's have polished tools. I can't remember the change over date. Soldiers all had brushed tools with the earlier ones having a wirestripper edge on the caplifter/screwdriver blade.

As much as I like the newer offerings from Victorinox I have to agree that the old cross alox holds more appeal to me. I like the brass liners used on the older versions. My beer drinking knife. Old cross gold alox with DIY pocket dangler for easy pocket access.
AA1584DD-2F2C-4A84-BD4D-7D09E76C1E92_zpsiwu624rf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice! I recently discovered the alox SAKs via traditionals myself and I love them. Been carrying a Pioneer for last few weeks and it's such a great tool. Have a couple black Pioneers, a Cadet, and an orange Farmer. I do have my eye out for an old cross version like yours, really want one of those at some point. I love how the black and red alox scales wear in.

Back