Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

^ Good choice on the RMD. You can't talk about the perfect swamp knife without that one getting some consideration. Welcome to the forum!

I don't know that it's "perfect" amongst the pantheon of tremendous Rats out there, but I think the SOS should be named an honorary Swamp Rat blade. Though technically a Busse, the Swatmandu and SOS are clearly patterned after the RMD. The BG SOS is almost directly a mini RMD since it's SR-101 and lacks the fuller on the SMD.

Killer blade and honorary Rat, I like it more every day :thumbsup::

mhx95j.jpg

The SOS looks good. I wish Jerry had just named it 'Junior' and left it a SwampRat, lol. I love the designs that come out of the Swamp side, and that one definitely has Rat dna. Don't tell the hogs though, it's all part of Jerry's wicked evil plan for Rat infiltration of the trough, or at least that's what I tell myself :D

Hey Nate, did you hand smooth those scales on the SOS?

Hey Nate, did you hand smooth those scales on the SOS?

Yes sir. Talked a little bit about it here.

Have gone all hand-sandy on my AMS, SOS, and DTBM so far. Great aesthetic and improved ergos imo. Still messing with grit finish to see what I like best in terms of looks vs. grippiness, but even at high grits I feel the handle swells and contours give the handles a secure grip even if the micarta itself is a bit slick.

Thanks for the link, that's very cool! I'm going to have to try this, maybe on an RMD. I'm thinking hand-sand it, run it through the blast cabinet, and give it a shot of mineral oil. I don't know why, but grinding on the blades doesn't scare me, yet tackling the scales always does.

You're welcome!

Haha, I spent a lot of time grinding blades as well before I messed with scales much, but it's really super easy to do. For me the big thing was making sure to start with a coarse enough grit so that bulk material removal doesn't take forever. (Pretty much the same story with regrinds.)

For me the big thing was making sure to start with a coarse enough grit so that bulk material removal doesn't take forever.

That makes sense to me. I'm going to have to give it a try instead of pining away for some of the smooth handle models like Mulder Mulder has :D

I find that I like smooth handles depending on material, with canvas micarta my fav smooth handle material.
I think that linen micarta and G10 when smooth can be a little toooooooo slippery so prefer a little texturing for the added grip.
Just my 2 cents worth today which might really only be worth half a penny anymore.

Team, There's a 3/16 black/black Ratweiler for sale in the exchange. I have no idea who the seller is. Gobble, gobble. :)

RMD hands down...that blade is perfection no mater if your a Swamp Rat, Busse, or Scrap guy.. love that blade..

You know, it just depends on what you gave in mind for the knife. Rough conditions where Mother Nature is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you? I like canvas micarta. Or....my couch. Cutting up a thick juicy steak at your house or on the trail? Heck, I'll go with paper Micarta. I just find the canvas to be gripper for my paws.

Hey you Rats, this is a Heads Ups. VoxHog, (Who I couldn't pick out of a lineup of 2 people) has an old school Ratweiler for sale, along with 24 other knives. She shore am Purdy.
I do not know this dude. Just would like to see this baby go to a good, and loving home. You know, to someone like us who will take her out and show her some love.
BTW, Vox has shown her a little bit of love already.

One just sold a few days ago on the chopping block.
Nice looking knife, Brandon!
There's some INFIDU up "right now!"
Oh, and a Rat Trap.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a coffin handle R6 and a slightly larger Weller.

And the MOAR of course

I just got my hands on my SOS the other day and must say that it would make for a really nice edc.
Yes, it has Busse written on it, but we all know pedigree of that blade

Back