Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

So far we're at a 7" blade with a Nickel Silver guard, and Ivory has an early lead for the handle.

Lol, 3 for 3 so far? I would have voted for 7" and bronze. Handle material is a tough one, I think we could work all three into something awesome. Black stacked leather could be sweet, Ivory with Nickel would be nice. There's a million different options with wood. It's a win-win all around.

As McMurtry would say, "Where'd you get that red dress?"

Be a sport, make two...

Great song, Mcmurtrys awesome, his Dad Larry was awesome too
794740.jpg

lonesome-dove-3-texas-rangers-san-antonio-peter-nowell.jpg

Two could be a possibility. Same dimensions, different handles?

Don't rent pigs? Sumbitches, that's down-right un'murican...bastages!

Jes', different handle materials. I'd make three, just to have a spare back-up/blank/pattern. See you in three months. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
One from the poll, a manglers choice, and a blank, that's a good plan.

I pulled your F-bomb wildman:rolleyes:o_O

My addled brain sees an alternate ivory center with blackwood or ironwood on each side capped with stacked leather but I'm probably dreaming.

Thanks Shel, no biggie;)

That could work Mack, endless options with spacers and center barrels.

Damn, I don't want to be the tie breaker. Looks like everyone has thrown in their two cents though. I'll let it go until later tonight.

Vote cast for alternative ivory, why not try something different, I bought some alternative ivory a while back and played with it a bit it's supposed to be artificial bone for use in the medical profession. It has better color than paper micarta and take a much better finish, I just haven't had a chance to put it on a knife handle yet.

Ha, we got tied again! Sneaky bastards!:D

If I have to tie break, I'm with Scott and Shel on the Ivory. I'll wait to vote until later though.

Any other polling to be done after this one?

Antler crown/end cap, blending into the ivory, with leather spacers.

....and diamonds and gold and...:D

Nickel Silver/Ivory and a Dealers choice.
Could make for an interesting pair...

Ok, here's a quick mock up. No colors other than black, ivory, nickel and steel. Think clean, like Felix.
IMG_20170621_005632-1153x864.jpg
That gives you an idea of what's in my head right now. Blade profile might get taller. If something stands out and screams "wrong!", let me know.

Oscar gets to live in the pigpen that is my head.

Dinosaur is cool, Rapunzel has flair; I'd recommend dropping the blade point/spine to more of a traditional straight line; making the S guard a true S at least a half inch taller/forward; a shorter 'Spanish Notch' choil (the Ricasso length is fine), and do a flat grind - if you can pull off a flat ground Bowie length blade, you'll have earned a seat with the gods... :thumbsup:

Back