Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

I figured since we were going for more of a functional Bowie instead of a beast, I went with a long ricasso to give room for a finger if you wanted to choke up on the handle. The tall forward S guard I envisioned ended up in the way and wouldn't let you put a finger in front of the guard comfortably. It was a choice of a long forward S curve without the choil, or how it is in the picture. I figured this was more functional, the shorter "S" on the top gives some room to move around a bit.

To leave the long ricasso and lose some choil would mean the ricasso would have to become the same height as the blade, or the height of the blade would have to be shorter. Then the line between the handle and the ricasso would lose flow I think. The handle would meet the guard above the point where the ricasso starts, which is fine just not the look I'm going for and adds weight in front of the guard that I don't think we'll need.

I agree on the curve of the spine, the more I looked at it the more it doesn't look right. A straighter spine looked better in sketches. I'll work on that.

Things change when steel hits the grinder and we'll see how they turn out. It'll be a flat grind in .17" 52100. Unless the alternative ivory is really heavy, things should balance well. I should know Monday when I have a few feet of it!

Thanks for the suggestions Shel:thumbsup:

Looks like we just hit the top of a new page so let's get the picture over here.
IMG_20170621_005632-1153x864.jpg

Just some different thoughts - 1.) guard made a little longer on back guard. 2.) the blade slightly smaller ricasso and a little more pronounced on the clip. 3.) the handle a little thicker just behind the guard. My scanner copied it in a different color and I don't know why.

Scanned Image.jpg

Damn, seeing that guard tall again does balance everything out well. That could be epic. I started it out that way and shortened it to give more room to work on the handle, but you guys are right, that's a necessity.

I was gonna go with a straighter spine, but that slight rise at the clip makes the curves come together well.

Thanks for the time you put into that Scott.

As you've probably noticed, a rise in the spine gives me a bit of a rise, too.
Curves are cool.

Mo' bettah, it's going to be a beauty! Is this going to be a raffle knife or a straight sale? If a raffle, I'm in for five teekits to start... :thumbsup:

I was thinking of making a set, the ivory with nickel, and maybe the other one with bronze and leather.

Too cool! I was telling Sandi about this build/tread, Rapunzel, the Dinosaur, how talented and creative you are, and how much I want this as-of-yet unbuilt knife. She gave me two thumbs up, and said to tell the family hi. So, "Hi." :D

A big Hi from me, and Mel said something chicky about missing you guys and give Sandi a hug.

I really am considering an Odd Couple set of knives. Same dimensions but one with a clean Nickel Silver and Ivory, and then a bronze and leather with a bit of weathering.

It would be a nice set to raffle, sell separately or sell as a pair.

Random thoughts - After moving to Montana ten point five years ago, the biggest deal for me, other than the shear beauty of the place, is that I could get a CCW for a firearm; totally not available in CA, and as a gun guy, huge. So, I got one and carry almost every day - reminding myself as I leave the house, should I opt to not carry that day, I've made a conscious decision to be a victim; then go back in and holster up.

Lately I've taken to carrying fixed blade knives, usually in addition to a handgun; mostly because I've got some cool ass knives, can, and my CCW covers them too. Not paranoid, knowing that 99.8275% of the time I'd never need one, or the other. But, there's just one of me, and I like me - sunrises, sunsets, and sex. So I carry, just to have a chance at more of the same, given the chance.

Which, in a round about way, brings me to Modern Sporting Knives, those you carry when out and about, those that will make an impression, good or bad. I'd like to own a Redmeadow Bowie, and I'd carry it, proudly, in the belief that it would perform as needed, if needed - and look good in the meantime. Tried and true, can't go wrong with a light and fast big Bowie blade. :thumbsup:

Redmeadow Bowies are proven bear defense, I showed one a picture of our sketch today and it ran up a tree. True story:p

Now, I'm not saying he used a Redmeadow, but whose to say it wasn't? I mean, besides historians, logic, and common sense, we may never know.

"Kilt him a Barr when he was only three..."

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." Abraham Lincoln, 1864

A lot of things can change in the grinder, but here's the idea. I may angle the guard a little bit more forward, it's a little too vertical right now I think.
IMG_20170623_110724-1405x736.jpg
Have some faith with the handle, I can see it and I think it's gonna pop nice and crisp with the ivory.

The plan right now is for two. They will cast the same shadow, but will be completely different.

I wanna see how you pull off the wrinkle in the handle.

Jeebus, give a guy time to think... :eek:

OK, cereally, I was thinking about this late last night. RMK (the other RMK), solders screws (maybe it's pins) to their end plates and throws 'em in a bin. When an order comes for an end plate, NS or Brass, they grab one, screw or epoxy it in, then form it to the handle end shape. That's my understanding, anyway. So, the question becomes, have you looked into this process and given it thought as to having stock on hand? Bin o'this, bin o'that, and so on...

Back