Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

Buster Keaton from the silent movies. The grandfather of everything funny as we know it.
tumblr_m6yi3xhiwe1qzz302o1_500.gif

He was a ridiculous stuntman.
tumblr_inline_nlkv64kSK61r4j8j1.gif

Alt. Ivory and Black Richlite (similar to paperstone) came in today, half of the ingredients to one of our Bowie's.
IMG_20170626_224624-1094x1792.jpg

IMG_20170626_235015-1644x1173.jpg
The notch will get cleaned up after I grind the main bevel, ignore the sudden drop for now.
I'll get the other one blanked out and run them through some thermal cycles in SS wrap.

Ooooh, this is gonna be good.

And starting to look oddly familiar;
early%20randall%20fighter_zpsoilv4ing.jpg

A very early Randall "Commando", here sported by a mildly famous aficionado;
early%20randall%20commando_zpswvupuzob.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished product...

Ha, Errol Flynn sporting a Randall?

Welcome Alan, we're just getting things going.

That's what I thought, is the AI from Masecraft?

No, but it looks like some pretty nice stuff. I have some scales I bought from North Coast Knife Supply that I played with a little, it seems to take a better finish than paper micarta and has a little nicer color, I've made some things out of white paper micarta and it seems a bit porous and traps tiny bits of buffing compound, I'm not overly impressed with white paper micarta. I keep looking at AI because there's always the possibility you won't be able get any ivory not even mammoth or sell it in the near future. New York, New Jersey and California have already banned mammoth ivory, that's a lot of people you can't legally ship a knife to with mammoth ivory.

Get me your address and I'll send a piece your way Scott. It's hard to describe, lighter than I thought it would be. I ordered some in 3/4", 1", and 1 3/8".

Back