Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah...

Last edited:
f1f79127a6634dfa5ea1d3171f3f0f22.jpg

The whole school system needs to be reworked to prepare students for, you know, life after school. I and most of other highschool students would have no clue how to do taxes, balance a checkbook, etc if out parents didn't show us (and a lot haven't)... It's just flat stupid that learning how to add/subtract/divide/multiply 1000 and 2500 a billion different ways is prioritized over learning actual skills that I'm going to need in a little over a year. I realize doing math well is an important life skill, but its using 20 different complicated formulas really better than just doing it like people have done it forever?

dunno. my dad had an accountant for most of that stuff. i couldn't afford that, so i taught myself. might have read a book on the topic too. tax forms do have complete instructions online these days. it's complicated, but doable.

yeah, it's nice if SOMEONE bootstraps you, but there's a lot of parents these days without the skills. couldn't learn hunting from my dad, since he has never done it, despite being proficient with firearms (which i did learn). he also pretty much knew nothing about a lot of skills i have now. as well, he had a lot of skills i likely won't, for various reasons.

yeah gotta go into the settings and change it again... default is back to 20 ppp

you mean 40. the system wide setting is apparently 20, and once set...

well, from some googling on xenforo and "posts per page", is illuminating.

no user preference, "by design", which imho, is completely retrograde thinking.

the idea being is that permalinking is based on PAGE number. wow. that's like 1950s think.

it's not that they can't do it easily and simply, they're just ramming their decision on the end user.

"let users complain, and they'll get over it, and used to it"

the answer to that is "the users will tolerate it, and hate you every single day" and if possible, they'll often go elsewhere

though it occurs to me the developers designed themselves into a corner, and were too lazy, or lack experience to solve it

pagination is a solved problem though. so. who knows ;)

there are plugins though, which apparently can do the job. i'll have to bug Spark.

Bah...

Last edited:
you mean 40. the system wide setting is apparently 20, and once set...

well, from some googling on xenforo and "posts per page", is illuminating.

no user preference, "by design", which imho, is completely retrograde thinking.

the idea being is that permalinking is based on PAGE number. wow. that's like 1950s think.

it's not that they can't do it easily and simply, they're just ramming their decision on the end user.

"let users complain, and they'll get over it, and used to it"

the answer to that is "the users will tolerate it, and hate you every single day" and if possible, they'll often go elsewhere

though it occurs to me the developers designed themselves into a corner, and were too lazy, or lack experience to solve it

pagination is a solved problem though. so. who knows ;)

there are plugins though, which apparently can do the job. i'll have to bug Spark.

I personally think there's much more display size per post with the new forum, so 20ppp seems more reasonable, 40 is just too many when each post could contain media of some kind, liable to crash a picture thread or a video thread right quick.

I personally think there's much more display size per post with the new forum, so 20ppp seems more reasonable, 40 is just too many when each post could contain media of some kind, liable to crash a picture thread or a video thread right quick.

each to their own, but i know what i want, and like, being used to it for oh i dunno, decades :D

my job is exactly UI/UX, front, back, and sideways, JS SME and all things web, so my opinion is fully formed ;)

i've noticed there's a ton of wasted vertical on the bottom, as well as some up to. way too much on the left. form over function that can't be adjust is ... wrong. i know it's probably baked in, and little Spark can do about it without lots of CSS changes.

it's just not very efficient as conveying lots of information quickly. there's so much "white space" on the whole page, it's sad. maybe i can squish the fonts and use webmonkey on my side to change the look and feel. i also don't like social buttons and the 2.5 inches of wasted space on the bottom. it's pretty bad. it makes my job HERE difficult. scrolling is more efficient than paging, esp since there are no physical buttons to page.

40 is just too many - well nopers - worked just fine for me forever. the XF software even optimizes THAT (media folding).

so yeah

doing a little measuring, adjusted to a smaller font, such that the page size is 1132 x 10729

10729 - 10327 (actual page content) === 402 px

so 3.75% of vertical area is all that header and footer stuff.

compare to the first post in this thread, single line content, no images, 358px just to show that vertically. that's INSANELY wasteful. the only saving grace is that some of you alls sigs are fat and bloated and no longer waste too much space, but for the rest, it tis.

the instant posting box is around 300 px, then add up all those thick horizontal bars and wow. probably close to 15% wasted vertical with no content.

a lot of horizontal waste too. i like density. 358px per post means on my high rez display, means at the top, i'll see the header, and TWO single line posts without scrolling, that's the whole vertical page size. snark. about 2.5 single line posts otherwise.

what we need is a condensed theme for the working man :D

also, Spark, should you be reading this, it's not a commentary on all your hard work and passion into getting us to this new format... just my frustration and seeing a poor design from XenForo.

in the "uh oh" dept...

When the forum migrated from old to new software, all the perma links got broken, including intra post links (like this post), and all references to various information posts, without text references, or a good guess, are lost forever. Can't search for what you don't know. Bummer.

I'll try to repair the database, and the other information post, but there's only so much that can be recovered, and it will take a lot of time.

i was way too late on the last one of these threads to really follow. This one I'm getting in early so that way I can follow what's going on better.

How long before a real conversation develops and people stop just saying "in on ***"

Cool...a new snark. Ok.
I really only keep up with about every other one
This is one.

i was way too late on the last one of these threads to really follow. This one I'm getting in early so that way I can follow what's going on better.

How long before a real conversation develops and people stop just saying "in on ***"

Eventually.

In on two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back