Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just up in MA during Easter. Bristol, NH... don't they have a demolition derby?

I'll be in the Catskills during Memorial weekend and I'll be up around Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks late August.

burnt dorito tinder with oily residue

IMG_20170427_183235564_zpsorgpdvid.jpg

IMG_20170427_183237948_zpskwpdq2wu.jpg

Rain, rain, rain. Started yesterday morning, and is supposed to last until Monday evening.

Last edited:
Rain, rain, rain. Started yesterday morning, and is supposed to last until Monday evening.

Yep. No rain so far today, but flash floods and road closures all over the place. They had to pull students out of a dorm and relocate them for the rest of the semester.

Absolutely, a lot can be learned from the internet or books, and a lot of things you just have to teach yourself. The problem (at least in my opinion) is that instead of teaching the best/fastest/most reliable ways to do math, the current way is to teach several other, far more complicated, completely backwards ways of doing it. I think that time could be used for teaching something like doing taxes or something else useful that most kids don't know how to do when they come out of high school.

Very true, math is one of the most useful and important things to learn. The problem is with how it's taught now. Here are a couple pictures I found that should show what I mean a bit better than I can explain it.

834730630.jpg

I can tell you off the top of my head that 7 x 5 is 35, that's 1st grade stuff, but even if I couldn't there are far better ways to figure that out. No one is ever going to use that method outside the classroom, so why teach it?

BjKnf9CIcAAuiqz.jpg

Again, who is ever going to use that method outside of the classroom?

don't worry, most kids under 16 these days probably won't ever make enough money to worry about taxes, and they'll get free health care and opiode treatments :D yeah, that's it.

i studied computation algebra - the science of polynomial math, infinite bases, and computers...

even that new math stuff is batshit insane. the methods behind it are sound enough, if you are a math major with a master's degree ;)

there's a great video i can't find right now. explains some things. it's not stupid. just different.

it's not efficient. if i was hiring, and people did this stuff, i'd have to consider someone with stronger traditional skills myself.

went to the local antique tool auction. came away with entirely too much stuff :D but a very specialized selection.

bit of money spent. quite a bit :p however, i'll enjoy it for a lot of years. oh my.

nobody cares about pictures, i posted those on the book of face, but might do that here if there is interest.

to most people, a plane is a plane is a plane.

went to the local antique tool auction. came away with entirely too much stuff :D but a very specialized selection.

bit of money spent. quite a bit :p however, i'll enjoy it for a lot of years. oh my.

nobody cares about pictures, i posted those on the book of face, but might do that here if there is interest.

Boss, THE PLANE! The PLANE!!!!

Post em up.

The backpack I used for fossil hunting the last ten years is completely broken (holes, zippers that don't work anymore...) so I bought a new one.
Since it's gonna be destroyed anyway I kept it low cost and went with the Mil-Tec medium pack (a little under 50L). Honedtly looking forward to getting it. Gonna be fun to have a way to strap my 16 to my backpack, at last. Plenty of room as well, and with some carabiners I might be handy enough to construct a carry mechanism for some of my shark teeth sifters (and my Estwing hammer). Yey, gear!

The BK1 sure does rust easy. I know it's not 1095CV. (It's 0170-6C) I was surprised once when I got it out of the tote I keep my knives in. It was the only one with rust on it. I noticed it again last weekend. Guess I'm going to have to keep it oiled up a bit.

dorito love is strong in this thread!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back