The Sunday Picture Show... (5-14-2017) . . . OLD Show Look at the DATE...

Good Morning Haebbie,
Your modest collection is showing some very impressive cutlery. Could you take a look and possibly date the 120 I have pictured. I would appreciate it.
Thank You Very Much.
MIKE

Hi Mike, thank you for your kind words. It is not easy to nail down the manufacturing date. There are some threads with a hard discussion about the missing facts and time frames. We cold not find out when buck started with the three spacer handle and when they dropped the third spacer. At least your knife could be made between 1973 and something roundabout 1980, if it has two spacers at the pommel. If it has one spacer at the pommel it could be made between 1980 and 1986. But at least I am not sure. But what I can say: your 120 was been made before 1986, before Buck started with the date code. But I think that is not a news for you ;) :)

Haebbie

Last edited:
Hi Mike, thank you for your kind words. It is not easy to nail down the manufacturing date. There are some threads with a hard discussion about the missing facts and time frames. We cold not find out when buck started with the three spacer handle and when they dropped the third spacer. At least your knife could be made between 1973 and something roundabout 1980, if it has two spacers at the pommel. If it has one spacer at the pommel it could be made between 1980 and 1986. But at least I am not sure. But what I can say: your 120 was been made before 1986, before Buck started with the date code. But I think that is not a news for you ;) :)

Haebbie
Thank You Very Much, Haebbie your a very good person!! I picked it up on ebay knowing that it was made before 1986. It has been put with my other phenolic handles and yesterday I was looking at what I had and noticed the 3 liner and thought that I may be able to find out more.

Last edited:
Thank You Very Much, Haebbie your a very good person!! I picked it up on ebay knowing that it was made before 1986. It has been put with my other phenolic handles and yesterday I was looking at what I had and noticed the 3 liner and thought that I may be able to find out more.
Thank you, Mike, thank you for the flowers.
I am pleased if I am able to help. If I can. But it's not a lot I know about Buck knives.

Haebbie

Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure the 121 was never made as a barrel nut, blade too thin. /Roger

Roger you are correct, the 121 Fisherman was introduced to the line in 1964 as a flat tang only model. Thank you for your information, I don't know much about the old fixed blade knives and enjoy learning from you guys each week. However, there were some lucite handled barrel nut scalers made, take a look at the blades guide it shows a nice group 3 scaler. Dang I hope I don't get the bug for these hard to find old fixed blade Bucks:eek:.
JB

Great show as usual everyone with lots of information being talked about as well. Thank you to all.

Here is a 110 with pewter eagle inlay. This is the only one I have seen with the inlay and nickel silver bolsters. All the others I have seen are in brass.

A4ZGjPV.jpg

VgA23Zb.jpg

5Ke0XZi.jpg

YmgCWpb.jpg

Skyler that 112 is just beautiful. ..the case is cool too! It takes real decation and and little luck to bring Bucks like that one home.

A Buck 121 with horizontal stamp. This would be the earliest, 1964 I think. I would have thought that this knife would have had a keeper strap sheath originally, but in 1964 holster style sheaths were being introduced, I wonder if with was available optionally or is this just a replacement sheath. I believe I have a 121 with a single keeper strap somewhere also.

121.Horizontal.012015%20%201_zpsgppj9u9a.jpg

121.Horizontal.012015%20%202_zpszmpraqrn.jpg

121.Horizontal.012015%20%203_zpshnzv0zl5.jpg

Last edited:
Back