The Truth about Shaving according to me.

Considering getting an Edwin Jagger Kelvin or a Prospector from the Handlebar Shave guys to try my hand at a DE Safety Razor. EJ quality and reputation is solid, but like the handle on the Prospector model. Thoughts?

Also, Any input or thoughts on the type of brush (silvertip badger -vs- regular badger hair), good soaps, shave oils, after shave balm and accesories?

Somerset's Shave Oil is my brand. Goes on before the lather. I use a cheap brush, probably boar bristle or horse hair, but decent shaving cream. Right now using Neutrogena. There are higher quality brands out there, but I shave one a week due to bumping up, so the prep and after care are more important for me.

Zieg

Somerset's Shave Oil is my brand...
Zieg

I pulled the trigger on the Edwin Jagger Kelvin and actually tried the Somerset's Oil this weekend. Really, really good shave and I like the oil too. A really good experience for the first time with a DE razor. Nice and slow worked well. I got a variety pack of blades and some Col Conk's shaving pucks from Amazon so I'll be going through them and seeing what I like. Probably the closest shave of my life.

I pulled the trigger on the Edwin Jagger Kelvin and actually tried the Somerset's Oil this weekend. Really, really good shave and I like the oil too. A really good experience for the first time with a DE razor. Nice and slow worked well. I got a variety pack of blades and some Col Conk's shaving pucks from Amazon so I'll be going through them and seeing what I like. Probably the closest shave of my life.

Good start with the razor, that will serve you well. I have tried a number of shaving soaps and my favorite is Cella. The lather you can whip up is amazing and I like the cherry/almond scent. Really I like any tallow based soap for the "slickness" it offers.

I went a bit nuts and have a number of 100 packs of blades (Derby, Personna, Feather, Voskhod)... if you want to try a few give me a holler.

But overall go with what works best for you vs. being influenced by what everyone is telling you they like best and that you should use.

I use a Gillette Fusion Power razor with a vibrator on board. I shave in the shower and only use the mirror to do the bottom of the sideburns. I coat my whisker area with William's Mug soap, but don't make a lather. I shave with, across, and against the grain rinsing after every stroke. The shave is very fast, very clean, and very smooth. I never have a nick, a cut, a rash, or a burn. My skin is as smooth as a baby's butt. I can be as messy as I want because the shower takes care of the debris.
Afterwards I splash on a little Aqua Velva, which isn't necessary for comfort. I use about 2 cartridges a month. Annual cost less than $100.00. Landfill impact is minimal. 24 cartridges wouldn't fill up a tin can. The time I save is worth the price of the cartridges. When I did use a straight razor, I didn't shave against the grain. I have thrown away my styptic pencil.

Just ran across some blacksmith shaving soap on Etsy! Search: Blacksmith Activated Charcoal Shaving Soap
Interesting...

Back