The Whittling Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, very much . I made it for a present for my Dad, once the oil has fully cured I'll give it a buff and it should end up with a low sheen polish effect.

EtWhq4o.jpg

My first try at whittling. It's supposed to be an owl. I used some balsa that I had for carving bass poppers. It was definitely frustrating with some tear outs. Going to have to find basswood.
Also, that is my modified spey blade.

I thought I'd come in and "set a spell" here on The Whittling Corner. I just picked up my first whittler, A Rough Rider 375, and bought some basswood. Then I learned how to reprofile the blades, made a strop, and learned how to use it. So far all I've made with the knife are shavings as I try my hand a various compound curve shapes to get a feel for the knife and the wood. Still trying to decide on a first project.
I'm pretty happy with the knife. I like the shape of the main blade but it is a bear to open thanks to the double backspring, and all the blades have good snap. The coping blade has a crisp half stop but the half stop for the pen blade is a bit mushy.
I think this is going to be fun. :)

35154253673_19b8ded64a_c.jpg

I thought I'd come in and "set a spell" here on The Whittling Corner. I just picked up my first whittler, A Rough Rider 375, and bought some basswood. Then I learned how to reprofile the blades, made a strop, and learned how to use it. So far all I've made with the knife are shavings as I try my hand a various compound curve shapes to get a feel for the knife and the wood. Still trying to decide on a first project.
I'm pretty happy with the knife. I like the shape of the main blade but it is a bear to open thanks to the double backspring, and all the blades have good snap. The coping blade has a crisp half stop but the half stop for the pen blade is a bit mushy.
I think this is going to be fun. :)

35154253673_19b8ded64a_c.jpg
Glad to see it got in, looks nice!

Welcome to the hobby greentrout greentrout and A Ace Rimmer . Thanks for checking in here.

I like the little owl, greentrout. Looks like a nice first project. Were you working from an example or instructions of some sort? My first project was a penguin that I made following some YouTube videos. The reshaped blade looks nice, BTW.

Nice pile of shavings, Ace. Making a bunch of shavings while practicing techniques is a great way to learn and can be an enjoyable exercise. I'm glad you're enjoying your new whittler and that the sharpening is going well.

I hope you're both finding it to be a relaxing pastime—occasional minor frustrations aside. Have fun and be safe. I look forward to reading about/seeing any of your future projects that you'd like to share.

Cartridge of Unknown Caliber
OK, here's my first project. I used a back saw and miter box to cut a block of basswood in half then cut one half in half again to get a smaller piece of square stock. Then I whittled it to a cylinder, then cut out the recessed rim, case mouth, and bullet. The bullet is way out of proportion; I may cut it down a bit or maybe I'll just go on to the next project (whatever that might be :rolleyes: ).
I thought a rimmed cartridge with a shoulder was a bit ambitious for a first try. :confused:

EDIT: I couldn't stand the out-of-proportion look so I sawed off the end of the "bullet" with my trusty Vic Walker, reshaped it, and made it a jacketed hollow point. From the proportions I'd say it's a 40 S&W :D. Pictures tomorrow.

35149694294_122091feac_c.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I tried to get a more realistic look by shortening the bullet and reshaping it to look like a JHP. After an image search for similar cartridges I've concluded that this most closely matches the proportions of a 40 S&W. :confused:
Now both my thumbs are sore with tiny little cuts that need to heal up. o_O:rolleyes::eek:

35616311180_f2efd4f78e_c.jpg

Well done, Ace. Nice job maintaining the symmetry throughout the piece. And you also squeezed in some practice whittling out a concave impression, which can be tricky. :thumbsup:

Well done, Ace. Nice job maintaining the symmetry throughout the piece. And you also squeezed in some practice whittling out a concave impression, which can be tricky. :thumbsup:

Thank you! I will have to experiment and see if I can go deeper without messing things up.

And, welcome jwh720 jwh720 ! Looks like you're making good progress on that owl with your Calf Roper. :thumbsup:

It's great seeing three new whittlers' first projects all on the same page. I hope you're all having fun and enjoying the journey.

And, welcome jwh720 jwh720 ! Looks like you're making good progress on that owl with your Calf Roper. :thumbsup:

It's great seeing three new whittlers' first projects all on the same page. I hope you're all having fun and enjoying the journey.

Thanks for the welcome. I finished up the "owl" today. I am definitely not an artist by anymeans so its a little rough but it was fun. I am already looking for a new project.
nLwRYD7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back