THIS is the anything goes, keep it clean, blow off steam, W&SS chat.

Posted partly because I can and as an explaination as to why I have not yet built a snow house,or fished,or snow showed,etc. this year.:D

[video=youtube;N4a2CIPNrNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4a2CIPNrNQ[/video]

Posted partly because I can and as an explaination as to why I have not yet built a snow house,or fished,or snow showed,etc. this year.:D

[video=youtube;N4a2CIPNrNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4a2CIPNrNQ[/video]

@GS: Great opportunity to learn some ancient skills :thumbup: Looks like you discovered the coolness that is tinder fungus. I haven't tried it myself yet. Email sent buddy :)

@BTII: I'm going to have to give that a look, looks intriguing :thumbup:

@mewolf1: That looks like FUN! Your boxer looks like it has a ton of fun too, chasing your around :) How fast do you go?

@mewolf1: That looks like FUN! Your boxer looks like it has a ton of fun too, chasing your around :) How fast do you go

Iceboats can go 2-4 times the speed of the wind; I've hit 60, but cruising in the 30-40's is common.

Too much snow is a deal breaker, so the season can be short.

Inb4 threadlock!

Made me laugh:

[video=youtube;cpfQSqfpuac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpfQSqfpuac&feature=youtu.be[/video]

edit: posted this in a different thread than I originally planned. Oh well, I'll just let it sit here :)

Last edited:
We're getting hammered by wind and rain...again. The trail I would have hiked Wed into Thurs will doubtless be closed due to flooding...again. The trails I would have ridden in the morning will be mud where not underwater...again.
Guess I'll be stuck with switching to somewhere with waterfalls...again.
Sometimes life is so hard :eek:

This place I'm going, if the falls are cranking pretty good...wait 'til you see the pics ;)

Either of you two know a good source for coloured Tyvek? …...............I've not been interested in this material before because it has always looked industrial or like an old fertilizer sack windblown into a hedge. Now I'm looking at 1443R off the role at 40g/m² with a drape like cloth, and that can be sewn, I'm thinking it might be fun to make some stuff from. It only comes in white though and I believe coloring it reduces to some sort of painting and that's a fail.

This place I'm going, if the falls are cranking pretty good...wait 'til you see the pics ;)
Sweet!! Have fun!

Either of you two know a good source for coloured Tyvek? [...]
Hmmm, not off the top of my head. I think HDPE doesn't take to dying very well, in general. All the Tyvek I've used and seen has been white. A quick search yields that it may be possible to dye with acrylic ink (essentially painting?), but I don't know how well it works with the soft cloth like Tyvek.

This may be helpful. The links at the bottom indicate Fibermark may be a source for colored Tyvek as well.

ETA:

Fibermark colored hard structure Tyvek is their Super Arcoflex product. 30 standard colors offered in 5, 7.5, and 7.9 mils (not mm) thicknesses. Doesn't look like they offer soft structure like 1443R. Would be worth an email though, to see what they can do for you. Perhaps you could even use the hard structure, and just wash and dry with tennis balls a few times to soften it. I don't think I ever got mine to become as supple as cloth as a result, but noise reduction was my goal, so I stopped when it was "good enough".

one more link with sample colors offered.

Last edited:
Hmmm, not off the top of my head. I think HDPE doesn't take to dying very well, in general. All the Tyvek I've used and seen has been white. A quick search yields that it may be possible to dye with acrylic ink (essentially painting?), but I don't know how well it works with the soft cloth like Tyvek.This may be helpful. The links at the bottom indicate Fibermark may be a source for colored Tyvek as well.ETA: Fibermark colored hard structure Tyvek is their Super Arcoflex product. 30 standard colors offered in 5, 7.5, and 7.9 mils (not mm) thicknesses. Doesn't look like they offer soft structure like 1443R. Would be worth an email though, to see what they can do for you. Perhaps you could even use the hard structure, and just wash and dry with tennis balls a few times to soften it. I don't think I ever got mine to become as supple as cloth as a result, but noise reduction was my goal, so I stopped when it was "good enough".one more link with sample colors offered.
Cheers, I appreciate your ferreting............................I really don't know where I'm going with this. I invariably use a Gore-Tex bivy bag and a Silnylon lid so it definitely isn't for floor or roof. At the moment I'm thinking little lightweight dry bags for the tredder and / or bags to put wet clobber in from beach and river. Already I'm thinking if it turns into a hassle that ye olde plastic bag could do more conveniently it's going to get nixed...........................The ball only really got rolling when I was looking at the very lightest Cuben fiber used for sails [19g/m²]. I didn't realise how fragile it is at that weight. Sails were failing on RC yachts at 3.5 m/sec wind speed, [A zephyr for here. Today on the hill it felt like -1C and had a wind speed exceeding that. I had to look that up because to me it was just an overcast gloomy day of no note]. Anyway, they were recommending packing the 19g/m² sails away at 2 m/sec. Blah de blah it goes, and lets try Cuben fiber in the 30-40g/m² range for sails that can take a bit more stick................Bearing in mind I'm considering remote controlled craft on a pond not trapezing at 25 knots off the side of dinghy at sea and I'm thinking that 19g/m² stuff probably isn't going to put up with much of me. Then lo, I find kites, socking dirty great big kites. They're being made from soft drape 1443R at 40g/m². I start to wonder at roughly equivalent weight what it that it loses to Cuben fiber. Bearing in mind this can be found in 5' widths at £2.30 a yard and I'm looking for the catch. At the moment it appears the “white” issue is the most salient. Mmmm, dunno about this one. At the moment your idea of a dye is in the lead. Not sure, it's not like I need any of it. I think this one might have a long fuse on it.

I wonder if "Rit Dye" would work? Since it's applied via heated solution, it well may work.
Nah, from HikingMano's first link: "This piece of Tyvek was soaked for 24 hours in double the normal amount of Rit dye (black). Although it did add a tint to the material I did not get the results I was looking for".
TyvekWS008.jpg
TyvekWS016.jpg

Yeah 19g/m^2 Cuben has the reputation of needing care. My understanding is that 2x that gets you relatively robust bag use, 1.5x gets you lightweight but strong enough overhead tarp use. I'd guess that at the equivalent weight of tyvek and cuben, the question becomes task specific, especially as it pertains to water resistance. I'm thinking tyvek probably offers less protection against moisture (e.g. wind-driven rain or seeping wet ground you're lying on) than the laminate cuben. For simple low-pressure wet-stuff bags, I'm betting the tyvek would be fine.

I thought I'd seen Tyvek in colors, but after looking around, it was probably from one of the DIY suppliers who had multiple colors of ripstop silnylon on the same page as the white Tyvek.
My Tyvek experience is limited to coveralls, and I don't use them even once per year.

Back