THIS is the anything goes, keep it clean, blow off steam, W&SS chat.

Thanks mate but your praise is misplaced. If you follow that link you'll see that each of those cabin photos is separate user submitted content. Alas I am not one of 'em. :)

I did not see the link at the bottom. However you still submitted a lot of photos in the other thread that is around 80 pages. Those are great shots as well.

dampcourse8j_HBtubc_a.jpg

Dang. Wish someone could send all that rain over this way: everyone wins. Are you affected?

Specifically the depicted, nah. That's more the Glastonbury area and north to the coast that has taken the majority of the flooding.

We have been taking a fairly relentless pounding of rain in the south for weeks now though. I do have property down there, my woman is there now. That's more West Country [SW of this]. It's often wet there, and storms are nothing new but this many in short succession is novel. I gather nothing like this since at least 1910. My woman got a bit anxious because she has just bought her first property not that far away. She's been enjoying the renovation process since christmas, especially a just-so kitchen. Then what with the neighbours having their septic tanks bubbling up and the Environmental Health bods saying there is a lurgy in the water, I could understand her tension.

I'm liking it. Bugs me a bit that I need to be in town for work, but her judgement is sound so I'm relaxed. Actually, I secretly enjoy seeing how people cope with genuine no BS BOB events. Amusing that for all the SAR /Fire / Military and whatnot she says she hasn't seen a single waist to knee fixed blade, just professionals.

Well, I hope the folk affected get taken care of, and your woman's property comes out more unscathed than not. It must be interesting indeed seeing how folks get through a real situation like that.

Flooding there, drought here...

Have you ever seen the curvature of the Earth? This is me at the northern point of Isle Royale National Park, MI:

GoTenna creates a cell network out of thin air anywhere on Earth

"While few discount the benefits of unplugging now and again, it's not necessarily safe to trek miles into the wilderness without a backup plan -- or for that matter to live even in urban areas potentially crippled by a natural disaster. That's why people often shell out anywhere from $500 to $1,500 for a trusty Globalstar or Iridium satellite phone."

"GoTenna, a Brooklyn-based hardware startup, has a modified, smartphone app-based approach to staying in touch at a lower cost when cell service is shaky, no satellite connection required. The device, a thin 2-ounce wand that can be strapped to a backpack or belt loop..."

"The idea is to allow text messaging both between fellow off-the-gird participants and someone located within the net of reliable cell service in the case of an emergency. There's also a function, called Shout, that lets you transmit information to any GoTenna devices in range. Messages are end-to-end encrypted and not stored anywhere."

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/gotenna-creates-cell-network-out-of-thin-air-anywhere-on-earth/

We spent over a week camping in Missouri earlier this month. No cell service a lot of the time. We made it just fine. Some days I don't even carry my phone. IMO it's a little sad " how far we have come".
Edit, it is a neat gizmo. Don't think it will work with my dumb phone.

Not by choice, mind you... but I haven't carried a watch or phone in almost a year, now. I really had a hard time at first.

One wonders what will go through the heads of these meaty morsels when something like Eric catches up with them.

Eric is just shy of 5m long, and he was captured and moved to this sanctuary after an even bigger bruiser was giving him a hard time. My understanding is that there is a 100% fatality rate for humans grabbed by any over 4m. The depicted bints are from a kiddie friendly TV thing, but the bare-arsed drunken party on the traps they use to catch them is a bit of a fad in the Darwin area.

3ut48a8yprmpkb97qxjk.jpg

What's the deal with the “no choice” watch or phone thing 007?

^ About 4hrs 'till kick off, so proxy-up my little voyeurs. 1/10

"Twenty people are challenged to survive for two months in the wilderness by hunting and foraging for food in a social experiment re-creating conditions of the Stone Age. In the first episode, they are taken to a forest in a remote area of Bulgaria where archaeologist and survival expert Klint Janulis introduces them to their new home - a Mesolithic-style camp supplied with basic tools, rations, a pile of flint and a freshly killed deer. With only hours before nightfall, the tribe has to preserve as much food as possible, dig latrines and build a fire".

^ About 4hrs 'till kick off, so proxy-up my little voyeurs. 1/10

"Twenty people are challenged to survive for two months in the wilderness by hunting and foraging for food in a social experiment re-creating conditions of the Stone Age. In the first episode, they are taken to a forest in a remote area of Bulgaria where archaeologist and survival expert Klint Janulis introduces them to their new home - a Mesolithic-style camp supplied with basic tools, rations, a pile of flint and a freshly killed deer. With only hours before nightfall, the tribe has to preserve as much food as possible, dig latrines and build a fire".

"The Colony" on discovery had less starting out. It sounds like it's just going to be "The Mesolithic Colony", I bet there's even going to be a sabertooth attack.

Back