THK News, Events and Updates

no worries - while you're in jail I can eat your share of the bacon wrapped water chestnuts so Miss Angie doesn't lose her knack. :D :devilish:

no worries - while you're in jail I can eat your share of the bacon wrapped water chestnuts so Miss Angie doesn't lose her knack. :D :devilish:

Thanks for your, umm, "support"... but I prefer to stay out of jail entirely and get first dibs on Miss Angie's cooking.

In other news: THK Ma Deuce Deluxe teaser vid. First try at this cut with this knife, unrehearsed and unedited.

[video=youtube;f5gH29Le8RU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gH29Le8RU[/video]

I was quite pleased with the knife's performance, especially considering I was cutting way below my center of gravity. Under proper conditions with a better-trained cutter, I suspect the knife would do even better.

Awesome stuff James!!

Wish i could be at the May gathering to get to play with it. Looks like it could do some damage!!

Hope you guys take lots of pics!!

Ang took some other videos of me using it today, too, but it's taking forever to get them uploaded to youtube. :/

Both the Deluxe and the Standard will be passed around among whomever's willing to beat on them at the Beckerhead Gathering this May.

muahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

I would expect nothing less than for you to beat the snot out of these rascals. We've been down that road together with other THK prototypes before more than once... I ain't skeered. ;)

Nice videos James! I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those bad boys. I am usually not a sharpened clip guy but that video was quite convincing.

What are you thoughts on the tapered tang vs the full thickness tang with cutouts? Any performance advantage? Are you basically removing the same amount of weight with each method? Is there a balance point change from on to the other?

You should make a highlight reel with all those clips.

Jeremy

You should make a highlight reel with all those clips.

I'm trying to get them edited together.

The Deluxe is drilled the same as the Standard, then tapered. But the balance points come out pretty close to the same, because the Standard has a few more grams of weight right at the tip since it's not ground/sharpened. Now if I tapered the tang on a Standard, that would pull the balance point even more forward - and if I didn't taper the tang on a Deluxe, it would be almost handle-heavy.

Of course handle material makes a difference too... the same handle made of G10 will be heavier than one made of (most) wood or carbon fiber... like everything else in knife design, it all works together. :)

Ewwww.

I hope SOG doesn't sue me for "stealing" their model name... :eek:

Just challenge them to pit theirs up against yours and let a group of inebriated Beckerheads have at it.

they also have a snarl. :(
both appear to be SOG production runs of Jason Brous blades.

Just challenge them to pit theirs up against yours and let a group of inebriated Beckerheads have at it.

Heck, that wouldn't even be fair. Fun... but not really fair ;)

they also have a snarl. :(
both appear to be SOG production runs of Jason Brous blades.

Well, whattaya gonna do. I'm not real worried about it. It's not like my knives have a Talon Hole (r) in them... that would be a definite problem :D

In other news, I forgot to post this last week... first crocuses (croki?) of the season out by the front stoop... Spring's here, yay!

tumblr_nl44pkyETx1t96cc7o1_1280.jpg

HAHA, you'll prolly get a phone call just from mentioning the sacred circular cutout. :D

Beautiful flower!

Also I bet James' Snarl would whoop all their asses :D

Actually if im being honest, i have one of the sog Snarls and a real brous version as well LOL

Actually if im being honest, i have one of the sog Snarls and a real brous version as well LOL

The Brous/SOG Snarl is a completely different knife from the THK Snarl anyway, as is what they call their Growl.

If any of that confuses anyone or presents legal issues, I will just change the names of my signature designs. I hold no interest in arguing about a silly name with a much larger company. I may well just start calling my knives THK1, THK2, etc.

The last thing I want is for my life's work to be confused with someone else's. My knife designs will remain mine, and my designs will continue to evolve as my experience grows.

The model name doesn't really mean doodly squat anyway. The way my knives fit the user's hand, the way my blades cut, the performance and durability I design into them, the sheaths I make to carry/protect them with... that's all that truly matters to me.

My ultimate goal is for people to pick up a THK (camp, kitchen or combat) blindfolded, and say, "Damn.. that feels like a Terrio knife." And then cut with it and say, "Yup, that's definitely a Terrio knife."

Last edited:
In other news, I have decided to give up knifemaking and become a door-to-door Viking.

11080880_896101323765932_3321506766850505590_n.jpg

The Brous/SOG Snarl is a completely different knife from the THK Snarl anyway, as is what they call their Growl.

If any of that confuses anyone or presents legal issues, I will just change the names of my signature designs. I hold no interest in arguing about a silly name with a much larger company. I may well just start calling my knives THK1, THK2, etc.

The last thing I want is for my life's work to be confused with someone else's. My knife designs will remain mine, and my designs will continue to evolve as my experience grows.

The model name doesn't really mean doodly squat anyway. The way my knives fit the user's hand, the way my blades cut, the performance and durability I design into them, the sheaths I make to carry/protect them with... that's all that truly matters to me.

My ultimate goal is for people to pick up a THK (camp, kitchen or combat) blindfolded, and say, "Damn.. that feels like a Terrio knife." And then cut with it and say, "Yup, that's definitely a Terrio knife."

Nicely said.

Back