THK News, Events and Updates

Well guys and gals, I have some sad news to report. We had to have the vet put our beloved dog Rocky down last night. He just had too much kidney damage, and he would have only been miserable and scared for days or maybe weeks if we hadn't made the decision. Angie and I are heartbroken but we believe it was the kindest thing to do. He was a sweet, mellow dog and he will be missed very much. RIP Rocky!

I know many of you are friends of dogs and cats too, and many of you have probably been through this yourselves. Thank you for your understanding, kind wishes and support.

tumblr_n5z4bd5iXH1t96dyxo1_500.jpg

(I will apologize in advance for copy/pasting this in a couple different places; but some of my friends, family, colleagues, clients and acquaintances don't frequent all the same venues. Since this applies to all of you, I just want to make sure you all see it, and know that your kindness has not gone un-noticed.)

Thank you all again. We really do appreciate your condolences. Once again, I have found kindness and support here during a troubling time.

I've been around dogs one way or another my whole life, and I've always liked and admired dogs in general. But I never "owned" one of my own until a few years ago. Angie's dogs Rocky, Maggie and Snow are the first that I've had the pleasure of living with, caring for, and being cared-for by.

Angie rescued Rocky from the pound when he was very young, and quite sickly. She was told he would not live long; in fact they discouraged her from even taking him home, much less investing in medical care for him. But Angie saw something in his eyes that they didn't.

With care and love, pure toughness, and a bit of luck, Rocky recovered. He went on to lead a long, happy, energetic life filled with tail-wagging and scritches and laughter. He was a gentle soul with a warm disposition, one of those super-laid-back rascals that wanted nothing more than to love and be loved, unconditionally. And perhaps share a bite of that yummy steak or pork
chop, pretty please? :D

When Angie and I got together, Rocky just up and decided to adopt me. We became best pals right off the bat... I guess that just happens sometimes.

Of course I'm very sad to let him go, but the pain I feel now is nothing compared to all the fun times we had together. Not to mention all he taught me, and the benefit I got from him licking my face or hand, or just wagging his tail and grinning whenever he saw me walk into the room or yard. Even if I was in a bad mood or worried about something else, in his own little way he cheered me up... as dogs so often do.

My tears today have a lot of joy in them, if that makes any sense. I feel grateful to have known and loved him, and I don't regret any of it for one second!

Thanks again, everyone. I knew y'all would understand, and I'm grateful for that as well. I should also point out that Ang and I are still blessed with two wonderful dogs and three lovable cats in our family, and that's a comfort, too. :)

I hate to hear that, JT. Smoke & prayers up for Mrs. Ang, the two other pups and you. I don't care what cat lovers say, dogs are the best people on Earth.

He went on to lead a long, happy, energetic life filled with tail-wagging and scritches and laughter.
:thumbup:

condolences to you and Miss Angie, and thank you for choosing the hard path rather than extending out his suffering.

Thanks so much, guys. It sucks, but I know we did the right thing for Rocky. Our pal lived out a full, happy life, and his body simply wore out... actually a much longer and happier life than anyone except Angie thought he might ever have, when he was little.

That's just the way it goes. His time was very near, and it would have been just plain cruel to drag it out and make him suffer any more. Neither Angie nor I could bear that.

I hope this doesn't sound super creepy, but the last thing Rocky ever experienced was me and Angie holding him and caressing him, comforting him. I take a lot of comfort in that. He looked us in the eyes and he wasn't frightened or in pain anymore, even before he got the shot. He was calm and he knew he was with the people who loved him :)

Jerry, your comment made me smile, because Ang and I both love cats as well as dogs. I will not argue "cats vs. dogs", because I love 'em both... but I definitely agree that critters of all sorts are very often better, kinder people than most human beans. :)

Last edited:
Jerry, your comment made me smile, because Ang and I both love cats as well as dogs. I will not argue "cats vs. dogs", because I love 'em both... but I definitely agree that critters of all sorts are very often better, kinder people than most human beans. :)
Haha - Noticed that, did you? :D I prefer dogs, but all fuzzy friends are good. :thumbup: The whole "no cats" thing is usually a way to push my wife's buttons. She grew up with and likes her kitties.

Shoot, there's even a fuzzball at the inlaws that has adopted me. :confused: I don't know what it is about me and the dern cat does not act this way with anyone else, but whenever I show up for the weekend the cat will be my shadow the entire time I'm in the house, constantly pestering me to hold it or trying to climb up and sleep on my shoulder. My wife has even caught the little pest hiding in my bag when we were packing up to leave.

Shoot, there's even a fuzzball at the inlaws that has adopted me. :confused: I don't know what it is about me and the dern cat does not act this way with anyone else, but whenever I show up for the weekend the cat will be my shadow the entire time I'm in the house, constantly pestering me to hold it or trying to climb up and sleep on my shoulder. My wife has even caught the little pest hiding in my bag when we were packing up to leave.

Congrats dude, you're a cat person now... whether you like it or not :) Don't fight it, embrace it.

Cats are notoriously picky about whom they like, if they like anyone at all. They are obviously very different than dogs, but some of them have similar loyalty. Some people, including me, consider it an honor to have a cat decide that you're their human. ;)

Last edited:
In other news, we found one of these in the garden last night...

tumblr_nmuzhieo351t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

Snow was not super impressed...

tumblr_nmuzitK8ik1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

Maggie was busy patrolling the fence line for bunnies, possums and other monsters...

tumblr_nmuzi8yEZF1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

:p

I am so proud I was able to purchase the ULTRANAUT KNIFE, I am naming the knife, "rocky". In honor of a great dog who was loved by his family. I hope you do not mind. But "Rocky" it is.

Please allow me to clarify something... last night a client bought a knife from me and added a few bucks to his PP payment, to cover any fees. That is not necessary!

I refunded the extra back to him, because my original asking prices include all domestic shipping (I generally ship by USPS Priority Mail, unless the customer requests a different carrier), fees, sales tax, insurance, etc no matter if you pay by PayPal, money order or whatever. That complies with various PayPal and BladeForums rules, and frankly it makes it easier for me to keep track of my books.

The only time I ask customers to pay more is if they're in another country, because that usually entails more cost to ship, possible customs fees/taxes etc. For international orders, I will look up all the actual costs and let the customer know :)

That gentleman also confirmed his correct shipping address in a private message, and that's always a good idea :thumbup: On two separate occasions I sold a guy a knife, they forgot that they had moved but didn't change the address on their PayPal accounts, and I sent it to their prior home :eek: Happily, we got it squared away both times and they got their knives, but it was a bit of a hassle.

Also, if you want a knife shipped to your job or something, so you know someone will be there to get it during the day, just let me know. I understand that sometimes people are leery of having an expensive package just sitting on their doorstep all day.

Also, if you want a knife shipped to your job or something, so you know someone will be there to get it during the day, just let me know. I understand that sometimes people are leery of having an expensive package just sitting on their doorstep all day.

this is why I have 2 confirmed addresses in my paypal account - home and work.

With all due respect to Ferris Bueller, sometimes you just gotta say,,, let's go fishin'.

tumblr_nn90o1ZNIN1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

The water on the Clinch was ridiculously high and fast...

tumblr_nn90ydd3HL1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Miss Angie caught the first (and 2nd-4th) trout of the 2015 season...

tumblr_nn9131EXMB1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

Not exactly a trophy, but it counts :)

Back