THK News, Events and Updates

So, this happened at the Beckerhead Gathering last weekend... Ethan Becker autographed the new BK-11 I scored...

tumblr_nntwmsXOgX1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

What an incredible time with friends old and new, as always! Huge thanks to Ethan, Ka-Bar, and all the Beckerheads for putting on another fantastic get-together. A finer group of folks cannot be found :thumbup:

was good seeing you & Miss Angie again - and her treats were much appreciated.
the cutlery you brought for folks to fondle & play with looked/worked good, too!

was good seeing you & Miss Angie again - and her treats were much appreciated.
the cutlery you brought for folks to fondle & play with looked/worked good, too!

Always great to see you too, and you're very welcome for the snacks!

Oddly, I did not bring home as many knives as I brought there with me... but I brought back more cash than I started with, so that works out OK ;)

Oddly, I did not bring home as many knives as I brought there with me... but I brought back more cash than I started with, so that works out OK ;)

I did the opposite. I suppose it all balances out. The Ma-Deuce is a beast and was that the fugitive you slipped in my pack for me to carry down the hill? I like it whatever it was called. :thumbup:

From BLADE magazine... full story here: http://www.blademag.com/blog/first-woman-competes-bladesports-nationals

jessica-elias.jpeg

Jessica Elias was the first female ever to compete at the Nationals for the BladeSports International, Inc. competition. Held on May 2nd, 2015, at the Ozark Folk Center State Park in Mountain View, Ark., she and six others have qualified to compete for the World Championship at the BLADE Show in Atlanta, Ga., on June 6, 2015. She will be the first woman ever to compete for the BLADE Show World title.

It's great to see women getting more involved with this fantastic sport. :thumbup:

See the BladeSports website for more info on competition cutting.

That's awesome!! I met her last August, nice lady. Let me catch a ride from the hotel to the training site with her and took some pictures for me while i was cutting. Very friendly. Congrats Jessi!!

The 2015 BladeSports World Championships was awesome! Stay tuned for more news and links :thumbup:

In other news, y'all may recall that every year about this time I post a pic of the lillies growing in our yard, because I think they're pretty. And since orange is the color of the Tennessee Volunteers, that's cool and fun.

tumblr_npuh09c1ba1t96cc7o1_540.jpg

But here's the weird thing I don't understand... there are way more orange lillies than there were 3-4 years ago, and they seem quite healthy and productive... which I guess makes sense, because we water and fertilize the soil around them. But suddenly, there are also new pure yellow lillies this year, which we did not plant. I'm not against that of course, I just don't know how they got there. :confused: Is that something that just happens over time, or what?

In other news, please join me in congratulating Miss Angie on an out-of-the-park Grand Slam home-run! She was absolutely instrumental in securing and facilitating an extremely important new account for her employer (a major industrial supplier - these are the folks who get the parts and materials needed to keep factories operating). This account is not a one-time deal, it's a contract that will help keep the client running efficiently for years to come. That's good news for everyone who lives and works in the USA. :thumbup:

Angie has worked very, very hard to make this happen, and her success will help result in an expanding, American-owned manufacturing company becoming more profitable, and many hard-working Americans earning a paycheck and supporting their families. I'm so proud of her I can barely express it :)

Angie and I went to a local shelter yesterday morning, and we were adopted by a female lab mix puppy... say hi to our newest furry friend, Sabbath. :)

tumblr_npxsqdO74Q1t96dyxo1_500.jpg

congrats to Sabbath from Shadow & Denali. (Samwise, too, but he's being aloof on the couch)
10402828_10153068333024603_7738264425078127463_n.jpg

My bestest pal Rocky held a place of honor in my avatar since he passed away several months ago. I have liked and admired canines in general my whole life, but Rocky was the first dog that claimed me as his own. He will never be forgotten! :)

Friends, colleagues, clients and lookers-on may notice that my avatar has suddenly changed from Rocky's pic to a Raider/24 logo. Why?

To show respect for one of my all-time favorite football players, Charles Woodson, on the day of what will be his last game playing at home in Oakland. Whether you are an NFL fan or not, or a Raiders or Packers fan or not, please join me in marking the retirement of a truly remarkable athlete and leader. #21/#24 has shown qualities we should all strive for, no matter what we do.

In the coming New Year, my avatar will change again. To express gratitude for both the simple pleasures of life, and the values that can help everyone rise above the mundane to bring real joy and purpose to our humble journeys.

Recently, my pal GreyLine challenged folks from his ongoing thread to start a whiskey vs whisky vs bourbon thread here in the THK subforum. He sent me a private message, sort of apologizing for that...

There is no need to apologize! :)

Everyone is welcome to have spirited discussions here, even if they don't relate directly to knives.

All the normal Bladeforums rules apply. Please keep your posts and comments here family-friendly and "safe for work". THK subforum is not the place for political debates, and I will not tolerate outright trolling, or hatred of other knifemakers or manufacturers.

We can, and should discuss other makers/manus designs/techniques, and debate their relative merits, of course. That's how I learn to become a better knifemaker. But I won't encourage or allow mean-spirited smack-talk here in "my house".

Other than that, please feel free to discuss pretty much anything! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

I wrote this for Angie...

"Even When" copyright 2016 by James Terrio. All Rights Reserved.

Even when the sun stops rising
And all the rivers cease to flow
Even when the world stops turning
And all the winds refuse to blow

Even when all the wheels stop turning
And there's nowhere left to go
Even when all the fires stop burning
There's still one little thing that you should know...

I'll be right there, by your side
No catastrophe could ever make me hide
I wouldn't trade you for the whole universe
Losing your love - there'd be nothing worse.

Even when I make a million dollars
Honey, I will never forget
You took me in and you shared with me,
Every little thing that you had.

Even when I think of the things I've lost,
I think of all we've gained
Even when I haven't paid the cost,
You've given me a chance again.

Rich or poor, I'll be yours darlin', hand in hand
My life's work is to be your man
I wouldn't trade your love for anything
Even when the world stops turning.

Even when the sun stops rising
And rivers cease to flow
Even when the world stops turning
And winds refuse to blow

Even when all the wheels stop turning
And there's nowhere left to go
When all the other fires stop burning
There's still one little thing that you will know...

Baby, I'll be right there by your side
Nothin' could ever make me hide away from you
I wouldn't trade you for the whole universe
Even if the world stops turning.

good stuff JT - hope the day has treated you both well.
(and Sabbath)

We're doing OK, my friend. :)

Sabbath is fine as frog's hair, growing like a weed, funner than a barrel of monkeys and frankly, kind of a pain in the neck ;) I'll post some pics of her as soon as I can get her to set still long enough that she's not just a blur of goofy grins and tail-waggery :D

Back