Thoughts and Opinions on Case

Has it been one week already? :rolleyes: Saying the knives are lesser quality than GEC is the OPINION that you have and it's a popular opinion in the weekly Case beat downs. Looking at the Case Norfolk that I just took out of my pocket, I certainly don't feel that I have an inferior knife. I also think that my Case yeller sowbelly is a very high quality knife and I use it regularly. Case makes a good knife.

ebony-norfolk_zpsvnxvhv2w.jpg

case-bose-norfolk_zpsybdko85r.jpg

caseboselbwhittler-1_zps7bx47b5v.jpg

case-bose-dogleg-spear-1_zpstdzugzv3.jpg
I totally agree! Those knives are gorgeous and I never meant any disrespect of Case quality! I have multiple and will continue to purchase them :) I was unaware of any recent threads bashing Case and that was absolutely not my intention here. I've been more than impressed with every one I've purchased or handled.

Case certainly make a fine knife. I love GEC - my collection of 25s speaks for itself - but Case gets a raw deal around here sometimes. They can produce stunning production models at a much more competitive price than GEC;

02D0A99F-AFC0-4F1E-AAC2-9AC969727BB9_zps4ftz7qra.jpg

This is one I picked up online and it is more than a match for any jigged bone GEC I own :thumbsup: :D
I agree with this. I think Case does a really good job producing a wide range of models, it seems like every GEC I want is out of stock lol.

Nice knives, Rick and Jeff.

This is a custom, NOT a Case knife, but it is the prototype that is used by Case as a pattern for the collaboration knife. The Case knives are cut by wire EDM from the templates, not punched out with dies. Like the custom, the knife from Case will have 154cm steel, steel bolsters and liners, mill relieved liners, and even the pivot bushings. The grinds, plunge, and swedges on the Case version is the best that I have seen on a production knife. I think they are machine made (waaay to perfect to be ground by hand). The pivot bushings and mill relieved liners also provide the best movement on any production knife that I have seen.

GEC makes a great knife using die cut parts and attention to the small details (some meaningful details, some not really meaningful) that collectors obsess over. They pay more attention to these small details than Case on their regular production knives. The medium and larger blades have hand finished grinds that are second only the machine made grinds on the Case collaboration knives. Compared to other hand ground blades, they are the best that I have seen. For knives without bushings, they often have excellent walk and talk though there are exceptions. They make great knives. There is some variation in different models, as there is also with Case's regular production run. Generalizations only go so far. They are regularly adding new patterns and it is a fun ride to follow.

Instead of putting one or the other down, I'd highly recommend buying knives from both great American brands.

Case-Bose-2013-WharncliffeTrapper-proto2.jpg
This is very interesting information! I couldn't agree more, I see myself continuing to purchase both brands. Beautiful photo, I'm dying to get a traditional with a full size Wharncliffe blade, just haven't gotten around to it. It looks so sleek and useful though. So far I'm really enjoying the modified wharnie on the Texas Jack.

I buy Case knives for several reasons.
♦ Some of their patterns are as good as anything GEC puts out. With a number of Case knives, I don't feel like I gave up anything in the way of Quality.
♦ I don't always feel like spending $100 for a knife.
♦ I seldom feel like spending $100 for a carbon steel bladed knife. And the selection of GEC stainless knives is slim. Plus the patterns offered in stainless are often odd and are nothing I wish to possess.
♦ To me there is an overemphasis on fit and finish these days. I don't buy show pieces. I buy knives to use them. Even Case knives which are of lesser fit and finish are still decently made and are quite sufficient to satisfy my needs and desires.
Well said. Lesser quality was not the most accurate way of putting my thoughts down. In my very limited personal experience, all of the Case's I have handled have had off center blades and blade play, none of which bother me. Actually, the only functional problem I've ever had on a traditional was in a GEC. I think you make a good point about the fit and finish. While I do enjoy a centered and play-free blade, I find myself less bothered by these things on traditionals for some reason. Adds to the character I guess.

The very last knife I bought, couple days ago, was a Case Trapper. I have a few.
That was after buying fancy shmancy M4 and S110V knives the previous weeks.
So . . . yah . . . Case still has an important place in my pocket.
Link to my thread on the latest Trapper <<<<<here

As far as GEC I think they do a great job and the knives are priced right considering they are made in the USA in small batches. I have a huge problem with GEC that I think most people here find to be an advantage or some shtuff. And that is they are so EDD that they have to change models/ production runs every five _______ (fill in the blank). Every time I finally see one of their knives that I like and think could work for me . . .
they are out of stock everywhere. So if I had a GEC t-shirt I would have printed on it :
Great Eastern Cutlery
Out of Stock EVERYWHERE​
I suppose I am over reacting but I just don't have the time and energy to fight the great fight to find a little slip joint that I kind of like. And once found pay an inflated price for it.

To be truthful I have only found one of their knives that in my eyes was "to die for" . . . the Grinling Whittler in ebony.

The other thing that creeps me out about GEC is I go to a seller's site, pick out the knife I want from the general category, description and number; click on the knife and it is often something other than described . . . blade shape different, even number of blades other than described.
In short shopping for and trying to actually BUY a GEC has been just a huge waste of my time and a frustration with no reward.
Period.
Case ? Yah . . . I'll buy another Case knife.
This is a big one for me. I don't often have money to spend on knives that I like and it takes a fair bit of planning on my part to make a purchase. With GEC, I hate the feeling of seeing the model I love disappear and not knowing if it will ever come back. The stag #66 Calf Roper Slim haunts me lol. It's a near grail traditional for me and they were available for awhile, but I did not have the funds.

Tony popularized the Wharncliffe blade swap. The very first Case/Bose collaboration knife is one example but there were a few different Wharncliffe trappers. Here's a list of the Case collaboration knives: http://www.wrcase.com/special_programs/checklists/Case-Tony Bose Custom Collaborations.pdf And here's a PDF of Tony's custom knife patterns from 1999-2000: http://boseknives.com/boseknivespatterns.pdf

GEC has done a lot of Wharncliffe swaps recently. Queen is using it more frequently also. It's a useful shape. I do like Wharncliffe blades but my own favorite combination of blades is a clip or spear and a sheepfoot. That's the main reason that I often use stock and cattle knife patterns. The clip or spear is a nice general purpose large blade. Because of the shape, the sheepfoot is great for starting cuts in the middle of something. And because of the short size it is easy to have very fine control. I don't use stock knives exclusively though. I enjoyed my Norfolk today and it has a Wharncliffe and small clip. It's an expensive knife but it has been used quite a bit.

The 66 pattern from GEC will be running soon. Keep an eye out.

Now that I've owned roughly 60 each of Case and GEC (I've sold some of both), I have things I appreciate with each. Since this is mostly focusing on Case, here's why I like them...

I can buy almost 2 Case for every GEC of similar size and pattern.

I can buy a Case at six different places within 15 miles (albeit most are their standard Amber bone). Which is great for living in rural PA.

Although some colors and scale designs cause me to dry heave, I do appreciate the variety that Case provides.

Most importantly, they provide me a model with a full size Wharncliffe/clip combo in a 3.5" knife - the 6207w mini trapper. Maybe if I throw a GEC #48 in the dryer...

It has definitely seemed to improve over the past several years, but Case's QC on standard production knives is the only thing that gives me pause when buying first, and inspecting later. I have had no less than three different models (tiny trapper, mini trapper, Russlock) arrive with zero walk and talk. Even after flushing, and oiling joints, I had to push the entire way closed and open. I have none of these anymore, but they were all 2007-2010 models I believe. I haven't had such an issue with models newer than that rough timeframe.

I've had a few issues with GEC too, to be fair, but they have not been as concerning to me (2 or 3 kicks reduced to fix exposed blade tip, and the infamous Drover punch issue).

Either way they are both generally great knives, and deserve to be enjoyed by anyone considering him/herself a knife enthusiast.

*Edit - I just read supratentorial supratentorial last post before this one, and have to add that the 2013 Case/Bose collaboration knives are as close to perfection (and 2014s are close) as I have seen (in pictures, not in person) and I'm happy Mr. Bose has inspired a recent trend. Maybe someday...

Last edited:
Generally, I've been pleased with CASE especially at the lower end of the price spectrum, they make sense there. You can get a value knife or even a bargain if you're patient. I don't go along with the cv appreciation mob really, I actually prefer their stainless and it can be really useful in matte finishes. GEC produces a vast majority of its knives in carbon so that ought to satisfy that school of thought, amply. GEC has revived some interesting patterns like the Eureka and Farmer's Jack and I'm very enthusiastic about them, GEC's general QC and finish is very reliable indeed, I'd say benchmark. The downsides are their mania for carbon and that the collector eye currently favours them so it has led to extreme scarcity, pre-ordering,ludicrous prices 2nd hand and ultimately, sterile non-use for many. This is regrettable and something CASE avoids in its everyday knives.

For the most part, I've had good experiences with CASE quality, I don't accept the line of argument that says: "they're all man made so they must have faults, it's OK to have issues for the money, back in the good old days people never did bother with nit picking quality, my grandpa never complained about such trivia" etc etc. A very laid back or 'approxamatif' approach to QC may well be what turned a lot of people against Traditionals, got fed up with having to put up with shoddy as part of the 'mystique' of Traditional knives. GEC addressed that head on with a much more uncompromising attitude towards consistency and it has helped a kind of renaissance or re-birth of interest in Traditional pocket-knives, at least it seems to me. CASE is a very important part of the heritage of Traditional American knives and one that is available to a wide audience, both in America and abroad, that is in itself important.

Thanks, Will

The good ones are great and the not so good ones are...meh. I got a trapper recently that wasn't very good. I started a thread on it and I think it's going to be referred to for a while because I said I wasn't happy with the fit and finish. If you purchase on line, be prepared to wait a few weeks since you may have to send it to Case or return it as soon as you open it. That's not always the way it is though. I have more Case knives than any other brand and that's not a coincidence. Good quality for the money most of the time and the pattern variety is fantastic....

I bought a Case G10 trapper every blade either wiggled or rubbed and the main blade did both, I will never mail order one again. I think GEC's attention to detail justifies their price but GEC doesn't do to much that doesn't have some bone or a piece of wood on it and I care for neither. I really would like a company to to build traditionals with modern steels and G10, Carbon Fiber, and Micarta.

Last edited:
I buy Case knives for several reasons.
♦ Some of their patterns are as good as anything GEC puts out. With a number of Case knives, I don't feel like I gave up anything in the way of Quality.
♦ I don't always feel like spending $100 for a knife.
♦ I seldom feel like spending $100 for a carbon steel bladed knife. And the selection of GEC stainless knives is slim. Plus the patterns offered in stainless are often odd and are nothing I wish to possess.
♦ To me there is an overemphasis on fit and finish these days. I don't buy show pieces. I buy knives to use them. Even Case knives which are of lesser fit and finish are still decently made and are quite sufficient to satisfy my needs and desires.

I like this. It turns out I am not bothered by imperfections (character) in my knives. I was more particular at one time, but it turned out I was never satisfied. These days I like them sharp and comfortable to carry at a reasonable cost. I definitely understand those who desired perfect fit and finish, it just isn't me. A used Case fits my budget and desires just fine.

They make a nice and serviceable knife at a good price. I also think their proportions are better than GEC. The overall size is generally a little slimmer than GEC...

I agree. Compare a Case toothpick to a GEC one; the GEC toothpicks are so thick, they belie the name toothpick. Overall, I believe Case has better designs. Some proof of Case's design superiority can be found in the number of Case design elements GEC copies (Norfolk, Tribal Spear, warncliffe blades in non-traditional patterns). Although I believe Case has copied GEC with putting a bottle opener in a trapper. (In the 21st century, who needs to carry a bottle opener 24/7 anyway?)

My very last purchase was a new chestnut CV Trapper and I don't think I have ever been more pleased from any $45 that it cost delivered unless it was spent on steak or coffee.

The ways that the Northfield line are considered better with the swedges and threaded and pinched bolsters and all that cosmetic fluff do not really interest me and the crazy frenzy arround them drives me bonkers and I pay just enough attention to make sure I don't miss something new and particularly appealing. Ironically, even if they are structurally better, the market they appeal to makes them more suitable for hoarding and collecting.

I do appreciate the cleaner and crisper less over buffed lines of the Tidioute series compared to Case but in no way does it justify the extra money needed to own one.

I love Case and trust them and have for years. They are good enough to really use and cheap enough to abuse and loose; just perfect for real life. I prefer to shop carefully and run about two Cases in for every GEC.

PS.....jerking nail ripping half stops annoy me greatly...i personally prefer a heavy but smooth range of motion.

My very last purchase was a new chestnut CV Trapper and I don't think I have ever been more pleased from any $45 that it cost delivered unless it was spent on steak or coffee.

The ways that the Northfield line are considered better with the swedges and threaded and pinched bolsters and all that cosmetic fluff do not really interest me and the crazy frenzy arround them drives me bonkers and I pay just enough attention to make sure I don't miss something new and particularly appealing. Ironically, even if they are structurally better, the market they appeal to makes them more suitable for hoarding and collecting.

I do appreciate the cleaner and crisper less over buffed lines of the Tidioute series compared to Case but in no way does it justify the extra money needed to own one.

I love Case and trust them and have for years. They are good enough to really use and cheap enough to abuse and loose; just perfect for real life. I prefer to shop carefully and run about two Cases in for every GEC.

PS.....jerking nail ripping half stops annoy me greatly...i personally prefer a heavy but smooth range of motion.
That Trapper has been on my list for quite some time, how do you find the size? It always seemed a little bulky, making me leary of trying it but I still want to!

BK14,
The Trapper is both a handful and a pocketful but I really enjoy it and find it quite manageable in work/outdoor/weekend clothes. Skinny jeans (I wish, lol) and office slacks are much harder to pull off. I have at least 5 of them now and I have come to think that they team crazy well with a peanut or butterbean in the watch pocket. That way I can slip the trapper in and out of my desk/day bag at will based on what is going on and who is around and never be blade naked (PS, those little buggers are delightfully useful and fun in their own right).

The bulk of any knife always bothers when it is in a pocket and fully printing all by itself. When I add some other daily crap to that pocket it all blends in and I feel much less bothered by the bulk.

I do not worry about scratching them on change and keys and whatnot. That is a huge part of the freedom that comes with using a Case instead of a Northfield.

I am going to try the bandana thing and get a leather slip to help spread out the print and see how that feels in the pocket next.

The trapper is pushing it for edc for me but dang do I like it.

One of my favourite CASE knives. The Big Stockman in Amber Bone and cv. This was far from expensive, has some very nice deep jigging and excellent W&T. I will admit it's too big for my daily pocket carry but it does work well in a top-coat pocket during wintertime. The epitome of an American work-knife, big but elegant, not hulking or awkward. Genuinely well made.

IMG_3093.jpg

I like my Cases too for reasons already mentioned. The Case blade rub thing is bothersome, but I believe Case does a much better job with flushing their pins then does GEC.

Back