To Greenjacket

Greenjacket--

You didn't say what kind of end use your kydex/cloth bond is to serve. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on any adhesive to bond kydex to cloth if I were anticipating putting a load on that bond. In very limited testing, I found that glues tended to slough off the surface due to inadequate penetration.

I'd plan on stiching or riveting for strength.

If you wanted to bond kydex to kydex, then I imagine any sort of commonly available PVC glue would be fine.

If you simply want to attach cloth to the outside of your sheath, I would recommend using a PVC cleaning agent to first remove any sorts of residual oils that might interfere with excellent glue bond. You might even want to prescuff the kydex to increase the surface area available to the adhesive.

Following this prep, you could use one of the isocyanate or urethane type glues (ie Shoegoo or the like) to achieve bond.

I think Superglues (cyanoacrylates) and epoxies are going to be fairly useless here.

I'd welcome criticism!

Andrew

Thanks for taking my question out of the playground.

The glue was really for attaching cloth or something that could dampen the noise of Kydex. Kydex has a real acoustics problem; tap,tap,tap sends you mad.

Your surface preparation had crossed my mind. My previouse attemts had not worked well. That plastic just does not like to perminately bond to anything unless you want to melt it. Cordura has the same problem.

Does anyone have the definitive answer? I just don't want to have to buy a whole heap of mastics at ££££ per tube. Those in my cupboard don't work.

Greenjacket--
I know what you mean. I had an Anaconda once, and disliked the scraping sound, so I smeared Freesole around the upper interior of the sheath. This quieted internal noise down, but it wasn't too tough to peel off. And did nothing for the exterior.

Ron Hood had a good idea for his kydex sheath, and that was to fit a slightly undersized tube of leather to the sheath. Wet leather, leather stretches. Then allow leather to shrink dry around sheath.

If you're just looking to bond the cloth around the sheath, I'd still recommend a solvent based glue like Barge Cement, shoe goo or Freesole. I'd also plan on it peeling with normal wear and tear though.

Somebody out there experienced with adhesives and non-porous materials?

Greenjacket:
It seems with the right fit the problem don’t occur. Give Eric Noeldchen a try. I have a Project 1 sheath from him and never hear a single noise. He uses thin concealex I think.
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/

Bye Kurt

------------------
DUEL3.gif

Of all the things I've lost ... I miss my pants the most.
--Michael Poe

www.selbstverteidigung.org

Kurt,
I certainly hope he will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Greenjacket is concerned with the noise that external objects such as twigs or branches, for example, can make when impacting the outside of a kydex sheath.

Greenjacket,
I'm not sure how well this material would adhere to kydex, but we have access here to a rubbery substance that comes in large cans in a liquid form. Its primary use is for dipping a tool handle, for example, in this stuff, and once it dries you have a nice thin rubber coating on the handle of your wrench or screwdriver or whatever you've dipped. Again, I'm not sure how well this stuff would adhere to kydex, but I think it would make a sheath much quieter. Comes in an array of colors as well.
smile.gif
Perhaps one of our forumites has a can in their garage and would be willing to do a little experimentation.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Greenjacket:

I almost always cover my "hard" sheaths with leather. Just cut out a piece big enought to fold over the sheath and sew up the edges. It works best if the leather is wet and the pattern is just a bit on the small side so that the stiches pull the leather together. I made my Fallkniven A1/F1 piggy back sheath this way. Besides, leather always looks better then the plastics do to me.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Yes, it was for the exterior. Even a loose strap will send an earth shatering boom from that kydex drum. OK, I'm sensitive, but I like my quiet at the dead of night. I can hear a mosquito at twenty paces, and a wrist watch tic at fifteen, but my wife is convinced I'm half deaf.

The rubber dunk seems like just the thing. I'd be interested in what its called. A leather or swade would work well, and I thought of doing it that way but my swewing skills are poor which is the reason for finding a cheat: glue.

What I don't want to do is add too much bulk.

Maybe hockey stick tape would work. I've used it on knife sheaths. It should stick fairly well to your Kydex.

Greenjacket,

Try a can of truck bedliner spray. Has a slightly more "grippy" surface than kydex and quiets things down a little bit. If you want a little less noise then wrap with a good quality of 100 mph tape. The tape will stick better to the bedliner surface than the kydex.

S/F, Mike

R J Martin sells a knife with a leather covered kydex sheath that is nice looking, luxurious feeling and quiet. You could ask him. I believe it is glued on.

Back