To strip, or not to strip? That is the question.

Will the factory sheath insert fit into the Spec Ops sheath? Thinking of just swapping them instead of forming the Spec Ops sheath insert, I'm afraid I might blow it. [emoji21]

I wouldn't worry about it. The 10 fits into the Spec Ops nicely without any work or forming, in my experience. I have one Spec Ops sheath, and the BK10 is quite comfortable in it. Maybe a hair dryer to adjust the fit. Plus, KB factory sheath inserts are a biotch to get out AFAIK (and I've tried...) - all the ones I have (or have seen) are stitched thru a little tab on the insert. No way to get them out without doing some damage. Great looking setup, so far.

I wouldn't worry about it. The 10 fits into the Spec Ops nicely without any work or forming, in my experience. I have one Spec Ops sheath, and the BK10 is quite comfortable in it. Maybe a hair dryer to adjust the fit. Plus, KB factory sheath inserts are a biotch to get out AFAIK (and I've tried...) - all the ones I have (or have seen) are stitched thru a little tab on the insert. No way to get them out without doing some damage. Great looking setup, so far.
Thanks for the reply! Got Custom Kydex sheaths for my BK7 & BK39/9, but want to try the Spec Ops for a BK10, have been holding off on this til I could figure out for sure it will work.

I own about 8 Beckers at the moment, if my memory serves me, and all but this new 10 are stripped.

I'm almost certainly going to strip it, but like you, I do like to take a moment and enjoy a pristine, new blade.

This is actually my second 10. I still have my first, but I dislike some of the mods I did to it 5 years back. I removed the ramp, the guard, polished the flats and convexed the edge. This one is going to remain practically stock, save for the coating.

The sheath didn't come with it. It's a multicam Spec Ops Combat Master short. Just took the liner out and formed it to fit the ramp with a heatgun on low. Worked perfectly.
Looks like a great knife. I sound stupid asking this but I have a Spec Ops Combat Master Short and was just asking if I get this knife will it fit without any alteration to the sheath itself?

Looks like a great knife. I sound stupid asking this but I have a Spec Ops Combat Master Short and was just asking if I get this knife will it fit without any alteration to the sheath itself?

A lot of nylon sheaths come with an internal plastic liner. Sounds like you can heat up the plastic liner and alter it to accommodate the thumb ramp on that particular knife according to what Wood Splitter Wood Splitter mentioned in his post. Doesn't look like you will need to alter the nylon at all.

You will very likely need to remove the plastic liner (it's just a strip of velcro on the back, I just used a metal wire spatula handle to break the hold), and warm the spine side of the liner up to make room for the ramp.

Make sure not to over heat the liner, it really doesn't need much.

Of the 8 i have only the Eskabar has NOT been stripped, it also has the black plastic grips. Bk11 has micarta grips, other bk11 has wood grips and modded blade/handle shape.Bk9 is de-horned (thumb rest removed) and denobbed the original grips (also wrapped in racket tape). bk5 has had the handle shape modded and woods grips added. 2 Bk2s (camillus) were unfinished but ground blanks rehandled and slightly reground/reshaped. Patrol machete is an unground and unfinished blade blank i found on ebay (or was it here?). I'll get a bk16 someday and likely strip that as well,lol.

You will very likely need to remove the plastic liner (it's just a strip of velcro on the back, I just used a metal wire spatula handle to break the hold), and warm the spine side of the liner up to make room for the ramp.

Make sure not to over heat the liner, it really doesn't need much.
I am torn between the BK 16 or the BK2. I have this spec ops sheath and it needs to be filled. I recently bought the ESSE 6 cm and love the sheath it came with. I'm turned off by the BK2 weight and jack of all trades master of none title. Seems like the BK 16 is a little bit better stabber / puncturer vs BK 2 crow bar with edge.

I am torn between the BK 16 or the BK2. I have this spec ops sheath and it needs to be filled. I recently bought the ESSE 6 cm and love the sheath it came with. I'm turned off by the BK2 weight and jack of all trades master of none title. Seems like the BK 16 is a little bit better stabber / puncturer vs BK 2 crow bar with edge.
I meant BK10

I'm kinda favorable to no coatings on blades, but I'm not going out of my way to strip it off until the coating doesn't serve it's purpose. I like the blades that are stripped and patina'd.

Love the look of stripped, just got my first trio in the Moses set. Would love to strip the BK5, but really don't feel like screwing it up...needs to be blasted. Anyone do a turnkey sandblast micarta scale install?

For you strippers, has anyone ever seen rust develop under the scales? I haven't done that yet to my BK5 but that was the thought that I had. I realize you can take them off and keep them oiled but if that isn't done what about rust??

Great BK's, by the way. :thumbsup: I can see why they are addicting. I have (2) BK 5's and a BK 15 I got on eBay for a not so reasonable price. :eek: If you could have foreseen that then what a great investment.

For you strippers, has anyone ever seen rust develop under the scales? I haven't done that yet to my BK5 but that was the thought that I had. I realize you can take them off and keep them oiled but if that isn't done what about rust??
Strip everything except under the handles. There is and old thread on it. I did a tutorial once upon a year.

By popular vote, here she is in all her nude glory! :D

Turned out great!

Becker micarta, refinished to 400 grit, stainless hardware with forge scale finish (I can make a tutorial on that if anyone is interested), and a MC Combat Master sheath.

Wonderful transformation.

It would be grate if you make the tutorial!

Back