Tomahawk Training: Books, Equipment, Hands-On, & VHS/DVDs

I don't think this video has been posted yet. RMJ Tactical just linked to it on their Facebook page.

[video=youtube_share;9MA69pxB3CA]http://youtu.be/9MA69pxB3CA[/video]

Instructors should really start training/showing off in normal speed motion, it's a huge difference and has nothing to do with this sutff. (I know, basics, but the slow-mo "moves"... naah...)

My biggest issues with all of these videos are that they are mostly hawk against empty hand and I would really like to see hawk and knife against hawk and knife and not hawk against empty hands. My other issue I am having is the hawks seem to be getting smaller and smaller, which is fine I believe every weapon has a range a purpose and strengths and weakness but to me when you make a hawk to small you are almost using a knife and your choice of defense becomes limited. I have trained with hawks in both FMA, military as well as as some training with some native elders I grew up with and to me it seems a 16-18 in is ideal for both offense and defense or against other weapons other than a knife. Again this is just my opinion and we all know about opinions. Please tell me what you think?

I'd really like to see hawk + knife (or axe + dagger, w/e) against machetes, swords, spears, sticks, etc. I train it on my own and in the theory and these slow-mo videos everything is looking so reproducable and fluent (enemy goes in with 1/3 speed and you keep your normal speed...) but when it comes to fight "real" (plastic/wood-weapons ofc :D) it's such a huge difference. And in so many of these videos the enemy doesn't react. In the first 5 seconds the guy with the knife could've already stabbed the hawk guy several times. They are never fighting back...

I'd really like to see hawk + knife (or axe + dagger, w/e) against machetes, swords, spears, sticks, etc. I train it on my own and in the theory and these slow-mo videos everything is looking so reproducable and fluent (enemy goes in with 1/3 speed and you keep your normal speed...) but when it comes to fight "real" (plastic/wood-weapons ofc :D) it's such a huge difference. And in so many of these videos the enemy doesn't react. In the first 5 seconds the guy with the knife could've already stabbed the hawk guy several times. They are never fighting back...

Same thing I have said. I ve done a lot of training in FMA and Indonesian arts and they are all very fluid with tons of trapping and angle deflections. But I would like to see more videos be force on force and weapon against weapons. The Atienza family did a great video on training with foam or non injury causing weapons and training with live blades. Many of the moves conducted with the foam weapons were not applicable with live blades due to the risk of injury when your opponent can kill you too.

Same thing I have said. I ve done a lot of training in FMA and Indonesian arts and they are all very fluid with tons of trapping and angle deflections. But I would like to see more videos be force on force and weapon against weapons. The Atienza family did a great video on training with foam or non injury causing weapons and training with live blades. Many of the moves conducted with the foam weapons were not applicable with live blades due to the risk of injury when your opponent can kill you too.

Here's a new one for the group. Looks like some good stuff here. I'm hoping this is just a precursor to a full-length video. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

[video=youtube_share;xdfSgr0zgX8]http://youtu.be/xdfSgr0zgX8[/video]

I'm glad to see they incorporated some large blades against the hawk. All to often it is hawk against stick or hawk against small knife. So good job to them.

I'm glad to see they incorporated some large blades against the hawk. All to often it is hawk against stick or hawk against small knife. So good job to them.

I liked that, too. Although I'm not sure a long stick wouldn't have sufficed just as easily by substituting for a long blade. I know the blade is treated a little differently regarding the long cutting edge, but still. It is nice to see a variety of weapons being used. I'd love to see some "rubber duck" dummy rifles being used by "enemies" as well in some future videos.

I came across this book while searching for tomahawk techniques: Combat Applications of the Tactical Tomahawk by Benjamin Bradok. Its been out for awhile and I've just ordered a copy. The reviews state it's more for a spike tomahawk but I'm sure some of the techniques could be adapted.

I finally took the $60 plunge on the two-DVD set from Cold Steel. Well worth the investment, and an excellent compliment to the Dwight McLemore DVDs. Lynn Thompson spends an hour of Disc #1 focusing on footwork, which is extremely helpful for us middle agers who aren't as limber as we used to be, and are not martial arts experts.

I finally took the $60 plunge on the two-DVD set from Cold Steel. Well worth the investment, and an excellent compliment to the Dwight McLemore DVDs. Lynn Thompson spends an hour of Disc #1 focusing on footwork, which is extremely helpful for us middle agers who aren't as limber as we used to be, and are not martial arts experts.
I generally like LT's designs and products as well as his techniques .:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there anything in that LT training video dealing with using their Viking Hand Axe ? Most hawk instructional material is kinda useless for my needs , because I must use TWO handed methods (mostly) to generate any speed and power with the large 30" hand axe . I'm north of 65 yrs and weaker than ever ! :)

So far , I've just been trying to adapt what I know from my limited experience with canes and big stick fighting combined with the way you handle a short camp axe ( edge alignment ) . I know I'm missing a lot .

I highly recommend this training video for anyone who owns a "hawk" and strives to defend their loved ones and their country!!! Because this is exactly what you look like anyway.......

I have clicked on several of the links in this thread and only found one to work…
Perhaps somebody would like to compile a new list of links that actually work from here…

I have clicked on several of the links in this thread and only found one to work…
Perhaps somebody would like to compile a new list of links that actually work from here…
The thread was started back in 2006. Inevitability some of the links will be dead or changed. I’ll see if I can go back and update some links.

Back