Tops ALRT EDC Fixed Blade

The reason I decided to post here is because this is my EDC knife and I thought it fit better here since there is no dedicated EDC category. This is my overview and then changes to make this an EDC blade--it will not replace other folders or fixed blade options but instead be in addition too.

Q0pVTt4.jpg

The Tops A.L.R.T (Anywhere Last Resort Tool) is a real little big knife, small enough to go anywhere and big enough to get the job done. It's designed as a neck knife but has so many other possibilities as a last ditch cutter, self defense blade, or get off me knife.

R77BSJa.jpg

I added a skull bead, yeah it looks cool, but it's practical because it makes the knife longer by allowing some grip with the bottom of my fist, it also allows me to pull it from the sheath. The loop on the sheath has two purposes, it allows me to wear it on my belt in a dangle fashion, and if you pull it from the pocket it acts as a pull by grabbing it and pulling the skull it slides right out into the hand and is ready to go.

50rRqJ6.jpg

4w4Tdgy.jpg

This blade fits the hand so well, even being so small. It seems unassuming which is great, but it is sharp as a razor. This thing is a bulldog!

BkkXtC5.jpg

Made of 1095 steel it's tough too and should be easy to sharpen. The black traction coating should help protect from the elements.

DMxTwyM.jpg

The ALRT would work great on a keychain and it would always be handy that way.

svY2YtD.jpg

About as long as a lighter and much thinner. [sub]about 1/4 as thick[/sub]

BGNP51Z.jpg

Hanging by my belt with paracord. It should barely hang out from underneath my cover shirt but I doubt anyone will know what it is.

pN5I0mj.jpg

I would love to have a horizontal leather sheath to ride really low profile, crossdraw style or even on my right side above my front pocket.

Measurements:
In sheath - 4"
Knife OAL- 3 5/8"
Width- 1"
Thickness- 3/16"

oEtuuzD.jpg

2BbSCZ3.jpg

qIQ5hxu.jpg

cUI7X65.jpg

Blade Length: 1 1/2"

g3EY45R.jpg

Additional thoughts:

If you live in a blade restricted state, you aren't going to get much better than 1 1/2" blade, the OAL is good for the same reasons. The hole allows you to put a finger through for an alternative grip.

Tops actually did well with the sheath on this one. It would be nice to have a clip but on this on I wouldn't use it on the smaller ALRT anyway.

It also comes with a heavy beaded chain, Tops whistle, and a keychain light.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Changes to make it a better EDC blade:

Tops ALRT-

R77BSJa.jpg

Well a few things changed on my Tops ALRT, first I sent my blade to a friend of mine to get a custom kydex sheath made for it. I sent him the knife and a Spyderco G Clip (1 1/2") to attach it to. Second I added a larger bead to add a more substantial and flexible handhold which gives me something to pull it from the sheath.

Custom Carry Concepts sheath with a Spyderco G Clip-

DXMVGwU.jpg

R0owtEc.jpg

It turned out fantastic just like I hoped! I don't even know it's on my belt and I can wear it all day anywhere, and always have a blade handy. I have worn it for about a week and lay down, squatted, ridden my motorcycle, etc and it never binds. Retention is great and it *snaps* in just like you would hope and comes out with a little tug right into my hand.
[BTW- the sheath can be turned left/right/up/down and I think angled on the clip depending on desired draw. That's the beauty of the G Clip]

EETQ4ML.jpg

I also decided to tie some knotwork on the XL version while I was at it. The XL fits the whole hand which is nice, but it's not as easy to conceal as it's little brother. Still stout at 3/16" and low profile enough to drop in a pocket or bag as a backup or even primary fixed blade

Tops ALRT XL-

Y4xQ5jW.jpg

You can really see the difference here, I wouldn't trade either of them but they both obviously fill different roles, yet both ar sharp as a razor and very capable.

ALRT & ALRT XL comparison-

UCE17T6.jpg

Chris~

Last edited:
Nice review and thought/ideas here!! KOOL!! Thanks for this!! Now ya got me looking at one!!:p John :D

Sent my knife to your Ohio friend for a sheath..:thumbsup: Looking forward to it!!;) John

Yep on the G-clip.. not too savvy at posting pics..:oops: John:D

Cool. I like the XL.
PhotoBucket sucks. I think everyone is leaving them. Lots of other choices. I've been following Spark and recommending imgur.

This same kind of sheath could be used for any knife, especially a smaller one. It can be worn left or right and put anywhere on the belt or backpack strap. I have worn it everywhere and it's done just what I'd hoped, and I always have a blade.

Got my sheath yesterday.. Wearing it on the LF side as a cross draw.. I LIKE it!!!:thumbsup: John

I really how the knife looks, but would love to see perhaps some kind of wharncliffe version. That kiridashi blade looks cool but I prefer them at my craft projects and with thinner blades. :)

Got my sheath yesterday.. Wearing it on the LF side as a cross draw.. I LIKE it!!!:thumbsup: John

Told ya. Congratulations. Did you have him round the clip a little like I did? Either way it works really well.

I really how the knife looks, but would love to see perhaps some kind of wharncliffe version. That kiridashi blade looks cool but I prefer them at my craft projects and with thinner blades. :)

I didn't buy this one as a craft knife, it's a last ditch or utility blade I can have anywhere. I like kiridashis and feel there are better options as far as kiridashis for craft blades.

Told ya. Congratulations. Did you have him round the clip a little like I did? Either way it works really well.

I had him do exactly what you got!! Yep.. Rounded the clip too!! GOOD CALL!!;) I got another knife I am going to send him for a sheath!! THANKS for the connection!!! John:)

I had him do exactly what you got!! Yep.. Rounded the clip too!! GOOD CALL!!;) I got another knife I am going to send him for a sheath!! THANKS for the connection!!! John:)

I'm glad this worked out for you. I don't know about others but I try to write stuff up and include pictures so hopefully someone can get something useful out of it.

Back