Recommendation? Torx drivers/maintenance tools

I have been buying a new set of torx drivers roughly once per year, some generic ones that are pretty cheap. Im wanting to upgrade my maintenance kit and I'm looking for some higher quality tools, not expensive, but good quality drivers that won't damage my hardware. I was wondering if anyone would care to give me some recommendations, I'd appreciate hearing about the tools you guys use in general too (I'm putting a whole new kit together) not just your drivers but other stuff too. Pictures welcome
Thanks in advance fellas

David

Another vote for Wiha. Really well made, tight tolerances.

At the moment, my only small Torx set is a Husky, which is Home Depot's house brand. It's fine; none of the bits have stripped, twisted, or otherwise let me down. It's a decent, rather cheap, tool.

About 3 months ago I bought a set of Wiha conventional screwdrivers. Full sized with an assortment of Phillips and Slotted heads. When I got them and started using them, I was kind of amazed. The fit of the Wiha bits into fasteners is more precise than any other screwdriver I've ever used. The slotted in particular were sort of a revelation. I hate slotted screws. The bit always slips side to side and it never seems to fill up the slot correctly, so you don't have positive contact. It kind of click-clacks back and forth, which eventually leads to the slot getting mangled by the screwdriver.

Not so with a slotted screwdriver that actually *fits* the slot. The Wihas not only fit, but they fit tightly. They fit so tightly that in some cases I have to use a bit of force (not much) to remove the screwdriver from the screw! The first slotted screw I tried, I thought I had missed the slot. Because the turning of the screw was so easy that I thought I must be just turning the screwdriver in mid air, not even touching the screw. Nope. I was turning the screw alright. It just felt like nothing.

The Phillips are similar: Really positive contact with pretty much zero play or wiggle. They just fit the fastener head perfectly and turn it. Which, BTW, the handles are really ergonomic so they feel good and allow you to apply a LOT of force if you want or need to.

So I don't have any Wiha Torx or Hex drivers, but I'm after some eventually. The sets are expensive-ish, but really not too bad. That set of full sized screwdrivers I bought? About the same price as dinner for 2 at a middle of the road restaurant. The difference is, I'll have those screwdrivers forever; probably at least 20 years and maybe more.

In summary, two thumbs up for Wiha tools. I'm super impressed with mine.

Brian.

the kobalt and big box brands will work fine - until you get a stubborn fastener. the bits are soft and will chip, bend, strip or break.

get wiha

I like the fold up set from Harbor Freight. The set of Kobalt from Lowes is good also.
Rich

I also have a Kobalt set. A good thing about it is that the handle is thick enough to push and rotate securely.

Miso

wiha or bust.

you wont find anything better.

you could save money and get something cheaper but you wouldnt be saving money when they strip. plus wiha warranty is really good if you do have any issues.

Got a small Wiha Torx set myself. I heard many a recommendation prior to picking it up. Unfortunately for me, I damaged my T7 trying to remove a screw which I assume was Loctited in place. Damaged the bit a little, warped the "flanges". Had to apply heat to the offending hardware to soften the Loctite or whatever, and sanded off some of the bent-up areas of the bit.

The older Hysky 8 in one was pretty good. They replaced it with an updated version that sucks.

I bought these recently, T6, T8, T9, T10. There's an industrial haedware store in town that stocks them. Sometimes Wiha runs specials on their website.
IMG_1707.JPG

Last edited:
Ima gonna catch it for this. Such is life.

Wiha is ok, say 8- 9 on a 1-10 scale.

Snap-on is great, I would give it a 10. For example, they offer single bits with diamond flakes embedded so that if you are confronted with a cammed head, the diamonds will still grip and allow for extraction.

I also like the large handle and bit systems. For me, more torque is generated in the correct vector for screw extraction and tightening. The snap-on handles are iirc, between 120 and 150 usd. I have had mine since, oh, 2000 or so with no issues, no extra play, just like new.

You do get what you pay for.

Wiha Wiha Wiha, better sooner than later. Absolutely no need for Snap-On unless you want to impress or need a self-esteem booster.

Wiha Wiha Wiha, better sooner than later. Absolutely no need for Snap-On unless you want to impress or need a self-esteem booster.
And he takes the ad hominem for a penalty!

I've already mentioned 2 needs for Snap-On. I have both - and I have Sears Craftsman as well. The Wiha I have is current generation of everything; people here raved about it, I wasted my money on it. My old Snap-On performs better. But that's from somebody who avoids the ad hominem, who compares the relevant items in question for himself, and thinks independently.

Can't go wrong with either Wera or Wiha.

I have both brands in screwdriver and L-key versions and couldn't be happier.

I got mine online from KC Tools Co - https://www.kctoolco.com - and they weren't that expensive.

Wiha after going through 3 of the Home depot sets. Going to pick up another set of Wiha flag sets.

I work on Mac laptop computers and have never had a problem with Wiha. And I've used wiha on occasion to work on knives and also never encountered a failure and I've come across some red loctited screws and spun the head off the screw before the wiha failed. Now if your working on cars or something maybe snap-on might be a good option but I think I'd be looking at Mac or Proto myself. Come to think of it, I have one No. 1 snap-on Phillips screwdriver that stripped fairly quickly after I bought it but works very well as a prybar, it simply will not break.

IMG_0357.JPG
At the moment, my only small Torx set is a Husky, which is Home Depot's house brand. It's fine; none of the bits have stripped, twisted, or otherwise let me down. It's a decent, rather cheap, tool.

About 3 months ago I bought a set of Wiha conventional screwdrivers. Full sized with an assortment of Phillips and Slotted heads. When I got them and started using them, I was kind of amazed. The fit of the Wiha bits into fasteners is more precise than any other screwdriver I've ever used. The slotted in particular were sort of a revelation. I hate slotted screws. The bit always slips side to side and it never seems to fill up the slot correctly, so you don't have positive contact. It kind of click-clacks back and forth, which eventually leads to the slot getting mangled by the screwdriver.

Not so with a slotted screwdriver that actually *fits* the slot. The Wihas not only fit, but they fit tightly. They fit so tightly that in some cases I have to use a bit of force (not much) to remove the screwdriver from the screw! The first slotted screw I tried, I thought I had missed the slot. Because the turning of the screw was so easy that I thought I must be just turning the screwdriver in mid air, not even touching the screw. Nope. I was turning the screw alright. It just felt like nothing.

The Phillips are similar: Really positive contact with pretty much zero play or wiggle. They just fit the fastener head perfectly and turn it. Which, BTW, the handles are really ergonomic so they feel good and allow you to apply a LOT of force if you want or need to.

So I don't have any Wiha Torx or Hex drivers, but I'm after some eventually. The sets are expensive-ish, but really not too bad. That set of full sized screwdrivers I bought? About the same price as dinner for 2 at a middle of the road restaurant. The difference is, I'll have those screwdrivers forever; probably at least 20 years and maybe more.

In summary, two thumbs up for Wiha tools. I'm super impressed with mine.

Brian.
The trick to fitting bits to slotted screws is having a lot of sizes. The picture is a gunsmith set.

Back