Toxic Axe Personality Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Increasingly over the past few years I've noticed a certain trend among many axe groups, and I can't imagine I'm the only one to notice it. A certain personality profile has developed among some that I'm dubbing "toxic axe personality disorder" or TAPD. Symptoms of TAPD include, but are not limited to:

•Thinking that if hickory contains any heartwood or is not 100% perfectly vertical end grain with zero slope it will self destruct in the first swing.

•Thinking that any gap in the eye or crack in the wood above the eye when hanging an axe, no matter how small, will result in the head immediately flying off the handle.

•Thinking that nothing but the hardest of axes is at all worth using.

•A compulsion to doggedly criticize anything that does not match their mental schema of a "perfect axe" or "proper technique" well beyond the point that could be considered as constructive.

•The belief that only vintage axes should be used (often ignoring context) and that anything else is a waste of effort and money.

•A general disdain and vocal low regard for anything short of perfection regardless of context.

•A heavy reliance on "bible-like" common reference materials, regardless of the fact that those sources are not infallible.

I feel it's overall a hostile and condescending attitude that shuts down the free exchange of useful ideas, ignores the degree of influence of many factors, and dissuades beginners from joining in discussion or asking questions. Meanwhile, experienced users feel as though it isn't worth sharing their knowledge. What was once a friendly and helpful community seems to be increasingly turning to elitism and jockeying for esteem/prestige rather than a genuine eagerness for educating others and self-improvement. This is hardly the norm for all users, but the frequency of toxic axe personality disorder rearing its head seems to have been increasing of late, and across multiple channels.

Feel free to add your own, as this is scarcely a complete list. And let's all stay friendly and general in what's added. Making things personal is the exact opposite of what this thread is about. :)

no video that i'v found goes out of its way to explain what angle to use when sharpening, for the longest time i had extremely steep bevels on all my axes, thats what led to a 4 hour night of filing.
my point is one video will not have all the information you need.

on handles, i only care if the grain is directly horizontal, its just some OCD. all my hangs have gaps, and the issues i have with loose heads come from either a little fire axe that just doesnt cooperate or my cruiser, probably because i left it in a tree through 3 storms.
heartwood, i love that stuff. takes BLO great. i'v never had an issue with heartwood, grain or run out.

as for the old is best mentality, come on, there are good axes made today, especially GB and CT

Last edited:
TAPD - no known cure - just treatment. I am going to start a GoFundMe to enhance awareness in my community lol.

It can exacerbate/or amplify multiple personality disorders if left unchecked.

It does make talking about axes, their history, use, and condition secondary.

While I do think some degree of armchair general-ing and senseless bickering will be found in any internet forum, I have seen a little bit more of it here than on the few other forums I frequent.

Something about tools, the outdoors, wilderness-related skills, etc. seems to bring out this sense of ego-centric machismo in a lot of guys. I saw quite a bit of it when I used to work both as a fly fishing guide and as a commercial fisherman in Alaska. A lot of guys feel like they have to prove how tough, weathered, or skilled they are. Guys argue about the "right" or "wrong" way to do this or that, as if there is some objectively right or wrong method for, well, anything. Usually it boils down to some insecurity.

What kind of person gets banned for almost this exact type of bullying behavior because people do not agree with him in one place, and has to be leashed in another place for literally making threats in pms in another because someone else posts an option different from his,then posts something like this? You have to be kidding me.
Benjamin, You need help.

Lol. Seriously.
Yes, seriously. I have nothing against you and think that you can add much to the community. Also, there are those here that I like and usually agree with that I sometimes have a differing opinion. I don't care, sometimes I learn, sometimes we just disagree. But I don't become hostile and start taunting people if we don't have the same opinion. I just think that things are better and more enjoyable for everyone without all that nonsense. It is common on many forums but I love that it has mostly been absent here, at least for the few years that I have been around.

I mean, ultimately a lot of it comes down to a question of what are you here for? To collect brownie points, or to help share your love of the tool? If the latter, you're going to be a lot more effective at it by being civil, even when it comes to disagreement. I've got a number of folks I'd actually consider as good friends despite the fact that we've routinely butted heads rather fiercely over a number of different subjects, but because it was always about the issues and with truth-seeking in mind we're able to be friendly about it and not get personal. Disagreement doesn't have to entail condescension or character attacks, and (rather) it obfuscates the topic of debate instead of making a meaningful contribution.

I think what keeps TAPD from devolping is keeping people accountable to thier claims or statements.

More "showing" less "telling"

Otherwise, everyone is an Astronaut.

It's amazing what people say and do when they don't have to back it up and thier is no consequences.

We expect people to keep a sence of reality and have some manners, but not everyone has that ability and it's easy for trolls to run wild and catfish everyone.

Good point Ben, I take part much less in some forums for those reasons. Some of them are taking a sectarian aspect I don't like, you have to think twice the things you say and how you say it, some leaders are treated as superiors instead of fellows whose opinion can be disscused, some of them have dogmatic belief in some documments, there are or have been sacred axes treated like relics due to ilogical reasons and more.

no video that i'v found goes out of its way to explain what angle to use when sharpening,

The same about this point. I like to see impeccable hangings, but there are more important aspects in an axe performance. A perfect hanged axe with a medium grinding will perform as a medium axe but an axe with a medium hanging but a perfect grinding will be an excelent axe. There is practically no disscusion about this type of points in some forums were they think they are the top of the top about axes.

In my opinion the main reason some people is so close minded and aggresive is their insecurity due to the fact they don't want to admit their ignorance. That's a bad behaviour, all of us are ignorant but not all of us ignore the same things, so you can allways learn something about people. But to learn you have to be non dogmatic and humble, the first step to learn something is to admit you can allways learn something about all and you can be wrong about your thoughts.

;)Am I guilty of TAPD? I would say yes? I believe everybody is at one point? The thing is: Discussion is Great, but You still have To Be Open minded about it. But then again: When somebody is wrong,there wrong, and You can say it as wel. I just tend to abandon someone who isnt willing to listen. And I must say: The ignore function is helping a lot! You cant help everybody. Soms People are just to far gone. But the ignore function keeps it sane so Your own TAPD doesnt act up.

I think most of us are guilty of it at some point or another in our respective studies, namely because we all have to climb "Mount Stupid" before gaining truly deep understanding of a subject. :D

mt-stupid.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back